Capernaum

Discuss movies (including free films)
Rajmlondon
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

Capernaum

#1 Post by Rajmlondon » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:39 pm

Surprised i am the first one to open a new topic on this movie.

Watched the movie this morning in Bath @ The Little Theatre. 2.30 hr running time. No breaks in the movie and it is a very well made movie. Not a single dull moment. The cinema was packed and there was not even a single person who moved during the movie. I simply felt stuck to the screen so a very engrossing movie.

Very impactful, powerful and felt completely real. Brilliant actors and a very good direction. Most of second half of the movie has no conversations or subtitles but it was so easy to follow.

Well worth the time and would highly recommend.

9/10 from me...

Mimoza
Air Force One
Air Force One

Re: Capernaum

#2 Post by Mimoza » Sun Feb 17, 2019 7:00 pm

Really good movie - highly recommend!

midian
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: lea valley, enfield, any in greenwich, west india quay

#3 Post by midian » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:35 pm

Grim and depressing film about poverty and exclusion in Lebanon. Subtitled. 'Capernaum' translates as 'Chaos'. A 12/13 year old child brought up in extreme poverty sues his parents for having him. Through the horror of his life at the bottom of the heap we also see lots of acts of kindness and loving friendships which almost keep the narrative being a total downer. We learn about how he survives the an uncaring society what, in the end, breaks him.

This 'antinatalist' view of suing your parents is happening in real life in Mumbai at the moment : https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-47154287

I thought the film was quite extraordinarily moving. Wonderful performances, especially the lead actor Zain. I found myself holding my breath through some bits as I was quite terrified and horrified the thought of what might happened next. The catharsis I felt at the end, so glad that film was over, made me just burst into tears. I was so taut and distressed. That has never happened before. I see why it is winning awards.

10/10 highly recommended.

good.luck256
Air Force One
Air Force One

#4 Post by good.luck256 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:31 pm

Great movie, sad and real, wonderful performances especially from Zain, highly recommended

nclarken
Air Force One
Air Force One

#5 Post by nclarken » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:53 pm

Just to back up what the others have said. Didn't expect much before going to see the film, but it I was engaged from start to finish. Difficult subject matter, but sensitively handled and some incredible performances by the child actors. Highly recommended.

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#6 Post by prettyxcool » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:28 am

So powerful, heartbreaking and touching. It felt so real, like a documentary, following a 12 year old boy and how he ended up in jail, and suing his parents for being born. How he strives to survive in the toughest and most heart-wrenching, cruel and tragic situations, of poverty, helplessness, misery and unfairness.

We see the story through him. And what a powerful performance, and he is not even a professional. Same with the Ethiopian maid and all the other characters, even down to the one year old baby. Such an extraordinary film on so many levels. Beautifully shot, fantastic score and brilliantly told and acted. Well done to Nadine Labaki too for her direction and screenplay. It should have won the BAFTA for the Best Film Not in the English Language, however, it went to Roma.

10/10 does not do it justice.

https://www.unhcr.org/news/latest/2018/ ... amily.html
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

lemondrop
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Greenwich, West India Quay, Central London

#7 Post by lemondrop » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:37 pm

prettyxcool sums up this stunning film ever so well. A film that breaks your heart but still has the ability to make you laugh (those moments of humour are really needed) is something special. The audience were unusually quiet in their seats as the credits rolled.

10/10 - definitely a must see.