Discuss movies (including free films)
ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

I Love My Mum

#1 Post by ladams888 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:54 pm

Saw this today at the Prince Charles Cinema in Leicester Square, which was about one quarter full. I hadn’t heard of this film before, so before committing myself to going, I quickly looked at IMDB. I was reassured to find that the overall score was 9.1/10. That spurred me on to going to see it. And, boy, was I disappointed. The story of a slutty mother and her stupid son accidentally finding themselves in a Morocco-bound container did not enthral me in the slightest. The humour was very puerile, the plot very disjointed and the facts had not been checked before making the film. The “facts” which really annoyed me – there is always security at docks so you cannot accidentally drive into a container; Marrakech is nowhere near Casablanca (Morocco’s container port) – yet they seemed to reach it in a couple of minutes; British nationality can be obtained though the mother since 1983 and if the parents are not married (as in this case) can ONLY be passed down through the mother; the Caminito del Rey is nowhere near the Pyrenees; etc etc.

There was one walkout – I completely understood why for after about 30mins I wanted to leave as well. Some people were laughing, but the so-called “humour” was very juvenile and very obvious and IMHO completely lacking in humour. There was a Q&A at the end, which I skipped, as I didn’t want to waste any more of my time on this film. I don’t know why the scores are so high in IMDB, maybe they were fake reviews. My score - 0/10

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Re: I Love My Mum

#2 Post by D-Fens » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:34 pm

It's 9.1 on IMDB from 31 votes, 16 people who could easily have a connection with the movie rated it 10.

Endgame has 8.8 from 427,120 votes, granted 150,000 of those worked on the CGI but still a much more reliable sample size.