Yesterday

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Yesterday

#1 Post by Beate » Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:05 am

Bevvy and I saw this tonight at Vue Stratford, not a cinema I had been to before, but it has a nice incline and a minimal to non-existent fuss about showing tickets.

What can I say - it's a nice little film, but it's no Love Actually. It's an interesting premise to wake up after a freak electrical storm and to be the only person having ever heard of the Beatles (and Oasis, figures), especially if you are a struggling musician who sees an opportunity and takes it.

Unfortunately Richard Curtis' version of the world has always been rather simplistic, not to say far fetched beyond belief. If it's escapism you want and a run of the mill love story, you'll get it, but if you wanted an exploration of the Beatles' greatness and today's music industry, you're going to be disappointed. It is very debatable whether the music of the Beatles would be written and sung exactly like that today, or whether changes would be made to make it sound edgier. We're meant to think that the American manager is a shark, but she's just doing her job, and frankly, nothing wrong with "Hey Dude" ;-)

Having said that, I did enjoy the songs and the acting by Tamwar from Eastenders and young Donna from Mamma Mia, and there is one little episode where Jack visits someone that gave me goosebumps.

As I'm writing this, Smooth Radio is playing Imagine...

7/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

Re: Yesterday

#2 Post by tonethestone » Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:28 am

Hard to judge this one as i assume its meant to be a 'sunday afternoon' type film, and that's exactly what it is. I have no idea if Richard Curtis is involved in this film, but its basically the same format as anyone of his films. I cant stand his films so this one didn't work for me. All stereotypes are out in force, the acting is pretty basic.

Curtis fans will get something out of it. 1.5/5
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

mazzaholmes
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Old post count: 0

#3 Post by mazzaholmes » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 pm

As a fan of the Beatles, and after seeing interviews with the cast, I was really looking forward to the film.

The music was great, the performances by all actors were fantastic, and it is definitely a feel-good film for all the family.

However, I thought the twist at the end was strange! I just don’t get it, but I would recommend.
Shearer4

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#4 Post by McG » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:19 pm

mazzaholmes wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:13 pm
As a fan of the Beatles, and after seeing interviews with the cast, I was really looking forward to the film.
The music was great, the performances by all actors were fantastic, and it is definitely a feel-good film for all the family.
However, I thought the twist at the end was strange! I just don’t get it, but I would recommend.
Totally agree, mazzaholmes! I saw it as a preview and was very dissatisfied with the ending. However, I've seen it again now and, although I still don't like the ending, I did enjoy the film as I didn't focus so much on the ending. I found it a relaxing, fun film with great music.
Marks 8/10
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

twinkle456654
Air Force One
Air Force One

#5 Post by twinkle456654 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:11 am

I guess I'm the opposite as in not a massive fan of the Beatles and haven't heard much of their music but was took to watch this without knowing what we was going to see.

I still enjoyed it though and would recommend it to most people. I was expecting something along the lines of A Star is Born or Bohemian Rhapsody but it's it's own story.

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

#6 Post by RandomHajile » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:10 am

i saw this at tribeca film fest (and actually spoke to the director before the screening and asked him for a begbe cameo) and its okay, but i think they missed a trick, if anything it felt a bit rushed, esp the smaller details of the story (cola,cigarettes ect)

plus as i saw "blinded by the light" before so that made this movie weaker in comparison :P

5/10

Justa
Air Force One
Air Force One

#7 Post by Justa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:25 pm

It's a nice movie to spend the time with a friends or family.