Discuss movies (including free films)
helenecolin
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: BFI IMAX, Odeon Leicester Square, Odeon Swiss Cottage

Re: The Current War

#11 Post by helenecolin » Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:10 am

Went to watch it on its release date (sorry for posting so late haha) and it was honestly exactly what I expected from the trailer: a very good cast in a very weak plot...

I heard that some changes were made since its first screening 2 years ago at TIFF, and while I wasn’t part of the lucky few who saw it at the time (unlike a friend of mine), I feel like whatever changes were made, it didn’t improve the movie at all. Back at TIFF the reviews were already not very positive, and the ‘new’ ones aren’t much better.

It’s kind of sad to see such a good bunch of actors not being given a decent chance to do their job. I can see that the film wanted to show a lot of things/emotions, not just a race to be the first to win the war of the current, but in the end everything just fell short imo. The movie is supposedly around Edison, Westinghouse and Tesla, but we hardly see Tesla at all, and way too much of Edison (looks to me like another prominently Cumberbatch story). I would have loved to see more of an even balance between the 3 characters, though I admit not being familiar enough with the subject to know if that’s actually possible, or if their rendition of the story is as close to how it played out as they could make...

Justa
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

Re: The Current War

#12 Post by Justa » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:21 pm

Interesting subject but I couldn't stayed focus, there was something missing for me.