Blinded By The Light

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: Blinded By The Light

#11 Post by Beate » Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:59 am

extendedpaul wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:19 am
I guess the main purpose of free preview screenings is to build positive word of mouth and encourage repeat visits. I'll be doing both and definitely b*y the soundtrack album (out Friday) too. Absolutely loved this last night, funny, moving, brilliant music and a perfect evocation of the era when my own interest in music was at its peak. This could be the next Bohemian Rhapsody.

I even had a tear in my eye more than once.

My fave film of 2019 so far, another 10/10
Check whether any Greatest Hits compilation already out might not be cheaper - it's probably the same songs.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

#12 Post by ladams888 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:06 pm

Saw this at Wimbledon Odeon tonight. Set in the 80s and based in Luton, this is the coming-of-age story of Javed, a budding writer from a Pakistani family, who is desperate to escape his overbearing and controlling father and brow-beaten mother and make something of his life. Introduced to the works of Bruce Springsteen by a fellow student, Javed finds that he and Springsteen had similar upbringings and becomes inspired by his songs. I am not personally a big fan of Springsteen, but his songs fitted into this film perfectly. It was directed by Gurinder Chadha (who also directed Bend it like Beckham) and was in a very similar vein.

An enjoyable film (especially the “Born to Run” scene), exploring the conflicts of being brought up in a strict Asian household and at the same time trying to fit in with being British. 8/10

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#13 Post by raj101 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:26 pm

Good film 2nd time round, had to see it again as they started it a whopping 20 minutes early at Kingston the other day.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

Nele
Air Force One
Air Force One

#14 Post by Nele » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:42 am

It is an happy comedy and sometimes it is good to watch something positive. But it was a little bit too much for me. I found that a little cheesy and I didn't really liked the main actor's playing.
5/10

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#15 Post by tonethestone » Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:22 pm

Found this too cheesy, wasn't a bad film, but just found the whole thing unoriginal. 2/5.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2