Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Discuss movies (including free films)
Message
Author
tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

#1 Post by tonethestone » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:10 am

Outstanding!! If you’re a Tarantino fan which most movie fans are, you’ll love this. The final 30 is pure madness. Do Caprio & Pitt amazing. Crazy film, absolutely best film seen so far this year, believe the reviews o/
5/5
Films most looking forward to in 2019;
Star Wars IX
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

#2 Post by tonethestone » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 pm

Second viewing and even better! The movie & TV references are so cool, impeccably made. The Great Escape part is mind bending!

Creepy & hilarious, never seen a cinema crowd react the way they did for final part of this film, utterly mad!

I’d suggest reading a brief on Manson Murders beforehand, gives some background.

Crazy film. Another Tarantino masterclass.
5/5
Films most looking forward to in 2019;
Star Wars IX
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2
Posts: 6770
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:15 pm
Old post count: 0

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

#3 Post by The Sparrow » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:17 am

tonethestone wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 pm
Second viewing and even better! The movie & TV references are so cool, impeccably made. The Great Escape part is mind bending!

Creepy & hilarious, never seen a cinema crowd react the way they did for final part of this film, utterly mad!

I’d suggest reading a brief on Manson Murders beforehand, gives some background.

Crazy film. Another Tarantino masterclass.
5/5
I liked this film but didn't love it.

I had been wary before watching it after seeing the trailer.
Spoiler
Show
I wondered why Tarantino was using Sharon Tate and Manson in the film. After seeing the film, I think he used Manson and his family of murderers as some kind of bait. The way the film ends left a nasty taste in my mouth tbh
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

#4 Post by tonethestone » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:21 pm

The Sparrow wrote:
Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:17 am
tonethestone wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:58 pm
Second viewing and even better! The movie & TV references are so cool, impeccably made. The Great Escape part is mind bending!

Creepy & hilarious, never seen a cinema crowd react the way they did for final part of this film, utterly mad!

I’d suggest reading a brief on Manson Murders beforehand, gives some background.

Crazy film. Another Tarantino masterclass.
5/5
I liked this film but didn't love it.

I had been wary before watching it after seeing the trailer.
Spoiler
Show
I wondered why Tarantino was using Sharon Tate and Manson in the film. After seeing the film, I think he used Manson and his family of murderers as some kind of bait. The way the film ends left a nasty taste in my mouth tbh
Spoiler
Show
oh really, I was the exact opposite, loved the ending, rather that ending than the real one
Films most looking forward to in 2019;
Star Wars IX
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

thrjfr
Air Force One
Air Force One
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:12 am
Old post count: 0
Location: London, UK

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

#5 Post by thrjfr » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:39 am

I thought it was a really sweet way to end.
Spoiler
Show
Someone else talked about this film humanising Sharon Tate and I really agree with that.
5/5

User avatar
scootermcc
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Posts: 706
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:36 pm
Old post count: 0
Location: Glasgow
Contact:

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

#6 Post by scootermcc » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 am

thrjfr wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:39 am
I thought it was a really sweet way to end.



5/5
Spoiler
Show
were they not about to get murdered ? Or at least Sharon Tate was, or perhaps she lived in Tarantino ‘s alternative world.

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Posts: 263
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

#7 Post by tonethestone » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:28 pm

scootermcc wrote:
Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:55 am
thrjfr wrote:
Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:39 am
I thought it was a really sweet way to end.



5/5
Spoiler
Show
were they not about to get murdered ? Or at least Sharon Tate was, or perhaps she lived in Tarantino ‘s alternative world.
Spoiler
Show
No, in real life she was but not in the film, like Inglorious, it’s Tarantino’s version.
Films most looking forward to in 2019;
Star Wars IX
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

User avatar
D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Posts: 467
Joined: Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:19 pm
Old post count: 0

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

#8 Post by D-Fens » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:51 pm

This felt more like three episodes of a TV show than a movie, there isn't really an overall story and you need prior knowledge for it to make any sense. It was enjoyable enough but I found the style really inconsistent with the random voiceover and flashbacks so I didn't think it earned that ending. All it is really is somebody else's personal fantasy and I found that realization really sad when it finished, more so if other people are revelling in it too.

User avatar
raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Posts: 6402
Joined: Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:08 am
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

#9 Post by raj101 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:18 pm

liked last 3rd but rest was gammy and stupid.

shame because there were several scenes that linger in the memory, a sure sign that the director has gifts but can no longer match his earlier prodigious output.

2.5/5
Last edited by raj101 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are always men like you

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en
Posts: 4606
Joined: Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:21 pm
Old post count: 0
Location: Edinburgh

Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

#10 Post by stuartboy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:44 pm

Torn between two opinions. This is either a fantastic love story to Hollywood laced with humour and dramatic scenes, or a pretentious, sycophantic, self-indulgent "how wonderful am I" figment of Tintin Quarentino.
I have to say that either way I loved it. The 35mm filming is exquisite. The soundtrack sublime. The attention to detail brilliant. And it's such fun! Didn't go in with any prior knowledge and precious little experience of sixties TV/film.
Spoiler
Show
i had to miss the final few minutes - can anyone tell me what happened after Leo spoke to his neighbour through the gate after the police and ambulances had left?
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen


Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)


Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

Post Reply