Dora and the Lost City of Gold

Discuss movies (including free films)
kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Dora and the Lost City of Gold

#1 Post by kevinknapman » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:14 pm

So the Dora the Explorer live action movie, Dora and the Lost City of Gold is *whispers* actually quite good.
If you told me this time last week that I would be saying that, I would have laughed in your face, said that the trailer looked pretty dodgy and that I had zero intention of seeing it anyway. Then a couple of positive reviews from unexpected reviewers started popping up and I also found out it was directed and written by James Bobin and Nicholas Stoller, the same team responsible for 2011's The Muppets, which was of course amazing.

So I decided to give it a go and if it's much more of a kid's only movie than The Muppets, with less of a nostalgic in for any adults dragged along, it's also a lot funnier than expected with a winning lead performance from Instant Family's Isabela Moner.
Ardent Dora fans (if they exist) may not be too thrilled that the film pokes a lot of fun at the original cartoon, with the almost aggressively cheerful and optimistic Dora getting a fair amount of ridicule as her tendency to greet complete strangers and burst into song is awkwardly out of place in the real world of sulky mobile phone addicted teens and actual bad guys.

Not all the jokes land and a couple of the adult performances are a tad too hammy but overall this is a surprisingly decent family adventure film. It's certainly the best film this year to feature a mask-wearing fox voiced by Benicio Del Toro.
Plus it's difficult not to at least admire a kid's film that pauses the action to have its lead character deliver a song about what to do if you need to take a sh*t (sorry, do a poop) in the middle of a rainforest.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen