Downton Abbey movie

Discuss movies (including free films)
tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

Downton Abbey movie

#1 Post by tonethestone » Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:58 am

Fairly simple, like the TV show you will like this, it wont gain any new fans. I watched the show, found it pretty average overall, especially the prison storyline for one of the characters which was so painfully dull, no idea why they kept bringing that storyline back in, anyway rant aside, its basically like a Xmas special for DA, pretty standard stuff. 2/5.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

Re: Downton Abbey movie

#2 Post by raj101 » Sun Sep 15, 2019 6:51 pm

The free prosecco was the best thing but its really not a bad movie. A lot of the characters look the same since they dress so alike (and are probably very inbred) so it can be confusing for the Downton virgin like me, who was wondering why the gay guy was suddenly snogging the Lady of the house at the end... wuuurrr?

I get the appeal of Downton, its not just about the posh noshes - the skivvies get just as much a story as the posh nobs, and are even viewed favourably. Nice to see it on Heritage weekend too, bringing the abbey to our doorstep rather than having to hike miles to see it.

But its clear its not my type of movie when the posh surrey audience titter at things I do not find funny , but then a minute later I find myself rolling about at scenes that elict stony silence from everyone else in the cinema.

3/5
Last edited by raj101 on Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#3 Post by McG » Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:16 am

I saw this with some enthusiasm even though I'd not watched the TV series. I was actually very impressed. Generally the acting was good with a simple story which meant I could easily pick up who the characters were. I loved the costumes throught . . .and 'Downton Abbey' building. I will probably watch this again . . .and might even watch out for re-screeninģ of the TV series 😉
Marks 8/10
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

helenecolin
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: BFI IMAX, Odeon Leicester Square, Odeon Swiss Cottage

#4 Post by helenecolin » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:01 am

I followed the series from its beginning so I was very excited when they announced they would make a big screen movie out of it, and that pretty much all the actors where back « on duty ». Went to see it at the new Odeon Luxe Leicester Square screening room and we were not disappointed!

The storyline wasn’t particularly wow, but very much inline with previous DA episodes, Maggie Smith was once again the queen of punchlines, we saw as much of upstairs than downstairs and it definitely was a magical ending for the series.

I doubt they would keep making them, even though I would love to, but this movie certainly did deliver everything that I was hoping for!

Suziewoos

#5 Post by Suziewoos » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:55 am

I saw this and then wanted to watch the series again. Love period dramas.