The Dissident

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

The Dissident

#1 Post by Beate » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:11 pm

A SIF preview online is a terrible vieving experience. I thought I would like watching a film on my mobile at home but usually I put everything via Google Chromecast on my big TV. No such option with this, the screen was a third of my mobile phone screen, and the many subtitles were teeny tiny. I gave up after about ten minutes. Might have to do with the fact that I didn't find the documentary too riveting either.

2/10
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

Re: The Dissident

#2 Post by prettyxcool » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:47 am

That's a shame, I would not have liked to watch a film on mobile either, when it should be enjoyed on a big screen!

I did managed to cast it to my TV, luckily through my smart view option on my phone, so was able to enjoy it very much. I had an interest in the topic, as I remember it in the news at the time, and I had all these questions in my mind, and was totally shocked at what had happened.

I found it very powerful, and was totally immersed as the documentary style was almost like a thriller which was mentioned in the Q&A and what a Q&A, even though it went on for almost an hour, it was so riverting, with so much insight how this film came about. At one stage, when his dog suddenly barked offscreen, we all jumped, even Edith! We were that engrossed! My first thought was "the men" were after him!

Really recommend watching the Q&A, even if you don't like docu-films!

10/10
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

#3 Post by ladams888 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 12:23 pm

I watched on my iPad, however I got so immersed in it that I completely forgot what I was watching it on.

This was a very harrowing documentary by Bryan Fogel about the murder of Washington Post journalist, Jamal Khashoggi by Saudi government officials and their subsequent denial of any involvement, despite all of the evidence to the contrary. Although it was a documentary, it was more like a modern-day thriller as we watched the horrendous evidence gradually emerge. Khashoggi’s Turkish fiancée, Hatice Cengiz, accompanied Khashoggi to the Saudi Consulate-General in Istanbul. She stayed outside while he went inside, in order to collect a Certificate of No Impediment, so that they could be married. She never saw him again. From that point we watched her change from a shy Turkish and Arabic-speaking academic who had never before been in the public eye into an assertive woman trying to seek justice on behalf of her fiancé. For many of us, it would be thought impossible that any harm could come to someone inside a diplomatic mission, however the Turkish authorities admitted they had bugged the Consulate and when they released the transcripts of the various telephone conversations everyone’s worst fears were confirmed. It is shocking to think that no-one has ever been charged with Khashoggi’s murder and that the world simply carries on turning and the West keeps on selling arms to Saudi and b*ying oil from them as if none of this had ever happened.

This film (in English, Turkish and Arabic -with subtitles where needed) was gripping. We learn at first hand about the Saudis’ paranoia with anyone who happens to disagree with them. There is some footage of Trump, where it is plainly obviously that he has in no way understood the repercussions of the Saudis’ action – as long as the US can get its oil and sell its arms, then everything is hunky-dory.

There was a 50 min Q&A at the end, which was fascinating, although I would probably have chosen someone other than Edith Bowman to do the interviewing. I would very much recommend watching it, as the truth is much stranger than fiction. A solid 9/10 from me.

moondance
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 188

#4 Post by moondance » Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:26 pm

I also found this engrossing and agree it started slowly but soon picked up pace. I wasn't going to watch the Q & A as overall so long but did watch and glad I did as it was fascinating. I searched YouTube to see if this Q & A available - didn't see it yet but for those interested there are loads of other interviews with Bryan Fogel which I imagine contain similar stuff.....
Preferred cinemas:
Central London and North London as far north as the Hampstead Everyman including Picturehouse Hackney/Notting Hill Gate - but not Wood Green and North Finchley as they are just a bit too far.

helenecolin
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: BFI IMAX, Odeon Leicester Square, Odeon Swiss Cottage

#5 Post by helenecolin » Sun May 30, 2021 9:59 pm

Enjoyed watching this documentary as well with the SIF preview, and even told a friend to give it a go now that it's on Amazon Prime.

While the doc was long (and made longer at the preview with the additional Q&A that I thought brought a lot to the overall topic, for which I was grateful), it was necessary in my opinion as much needed to be covered and explained for anyone to get the full picture. I was not aware of the story before watching it, unlike my friend who remembered reading about it back when it happened, so that's why I was grateful for the detailed coverage they made of it, and the following Q&A.

Locky_football
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Odeon and Vue, Norwich

#6 Post by Locky_football » Sun May 30, 2021 10:07 pm

I watched this one as a preview too. We managed to stream it on the TV. I didn't know anything about the awful events but found it a fascinating watch and I liked the different elements for telling the story, especially all the tweets on Twitter.
50 free films in 2019: 3 seen, 47 to go
Colette | Green Book | Instant Family

7 free films seen in 2018
15 free films seen in 2017
15 free films seen in 2016 (Chester born Dec 2015)
23 free films seen in 2015
9 free films seen in 2014 (James born Nov 2013)
55 free films seen in 2013
41 free films seen in 2012
25 free films seen in 2011