The Last Letter from your Lover

Discuss movies (including free films)
Noorjahapatel
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Bolton Cineworld, Bolton Vue, Manchester Showcase Belle Vue, Manchester Printworks, Manchester/Salford Lowry, Manchester AMC, Trafford Centre, Manchester Didsbury

The Last Letter from your Lover

#1 Post by Noorjahapatel » Fri Jul 30, 2021 2:14 pm

It was a shame it was only okay as the characters were very good. I just think it wasn't for me, not even a Sunday afternoon film. I think they tried really hard but there wasn't enough to it.

I like the 2 stories but the letter link was just not right for me. The letters were not at all as intriguing as they were making out!

It was humorous and serious. Good acting.

2/10
Member number 15 of the "100 free films in 2015 club" 39 seen +7 theatre, in 2016 25 seen + 2 theatre, in 2017 5 seen

2016 film scores viewtopic.php?f=4&t=33059&p=375748#p375748

2017 film scores
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=34449&p=387412#p387412

2018 film scores
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=35683&p=396164#p396164

Cinemas in order of preference: Bolton Cineworld, Bolton Vue, Manchester Showcase Belle Vue, Manchester Printworks, Manchester/Salford Lowry, Manchester AMC, Trafford Centre, Manchester Didsbury

I have not got tickets for anything at the moment. Hoping for some more soon.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

Re: The Last Letter from your Lover

#2 Post by raj101 » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:53 pm

meh.

about an hour in a twist picks it up a bit but nah. No real interest in the characters, nor any reason why they are motivated to do what they do.

trying to cram two timelines into one movie means half a film really if its not done well.

However, I appreciate the nasty dilemma some women were in due to status marriages, its certainly a point worth exploring.

2 star movie.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#3 Post by alythonian » Fri Jul 30, 2021 9:09 pm

I enjoyed it. Yes it was fluff and it could have been better executed but it was entertaining enough to engage me.
Alythonian

helenecolin
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: BFI IMAX, Odeon Leicester Square, Odeon Swiss Cottage

#4 Post by helenecolin » Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:06 pm

It was a nice movie to watch on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I agree with previous comments that the mix of timelines could have been handled a bit better, especially in the beginning as while they opened the film in the 60s and told us as much, I didn't see anything telling me we were in the present with the next scene, meaning I was very confused for a couple of seconds, telling myself "that's NOT a 60s car at all" (I might have missed the cue, it's very possible so I'm not criticising, just sharing my first impression).

The plot was interesting in its concept (and surely already have been done in some Hallmark movie somewhere, it wouldn't even surprise me) but the execution was lacking a bit in my opinion. It feels like they would have done a much better job blending the two timelines if it had been a miniseries (4-6 episodes) instead of a movie, as we could have had more time to explore all the characters backgrounds and their individual motivations, etc.