The Blind Side

Discuss movies (including free films)
jennyw888
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

Re: The Blind Side

#151 Post by jennyw888 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:07 pm

Saw this yesterday at Leicester Square, about 95% full, totally enjoyed this movie would give it 8/10 and watch it again. Excellent performance from Sandra Bullock but not sure about the blonde hair.
Member No. 8 of the "100 free films in 2019" club.
4 films seen in 2019

Spanner

#152 Post by Spanner » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:26 pm

saw this tonight, rather empty screen at the metrocentre, maybe everyone had seen this already or fancied dirty oil instead. anyway apart from the tomato soup ladies we also had a right guffaw-ers to our left as well, dunno what they founf so funny cos there was a couple of smiley moments but certainley no belly laughs imo. quite liked it and as you know i don't like much. I wished there'd been more about his backstory in and i felt kathy bates was under-used, a tad too cheesy and schmaltzy but hey that americans for you (erm sorry to any american members if we have any). Also felt that the real family photo's had been on the screen longer or made bigger cos it was kinda hard to see these. And i'd be a bit hacked off if i was the real sj cos they used a right cutey-wootie in the film but the real one looked like a bit of a geek kid didn't he? 7.25/10

juliemessenger

#153 Post by juliemessenger » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Michael Oher: [after pushing an opponent all the way off the field] Sorry coach, I stopped when I heard the whistle.
Coach Cotton: Where were you taking him?
Michael Oher: The bus, it was time for him to go home.

Saw this last night courtesy of SFF at a very busy Sheffield Cineworld and didn't know what to expect as I must admit I hadn't read any reviews or found out what the film was about. It is a really good film and reminded me of Sunday evenings watching NFL in the late 80s/early 90s on Channel 4 (Chicago Bears because of "The Fridge" if you are interested)!!. Even if you don't like American Football you will enjoy this film. The actor who played Michael Oher (Quinton Aaron) was great.

See it if you get the chance!!

o/

J
Last edited by juliemessenger on Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#154 Post by Beate » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:11 pm

I loved the scene where Sandra Bullock explains to him on the field that he should play as if he was protecting his family. She drags players to the front telling him who they represent: “And Oompa Loompa here…” :giggle:
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

soonforgotten
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: any London ones except Wandsworth & Enfield
I have tickets for: The Iron Lady, War Horse & a several vouchers

#155 Post by soonforgotten » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:23 pm

The important thing here is that ALLLLLL the free screenings aside, it really is a good film. It's an enjoyable story that doesn't need any flashiness or contrivances. As with Invictus, it's not really a sports story, but sport is used well as a backdrop. I'd probably see it again if I didn't have plenty of other free films to go to.
102 Different free films seen in 2010 plus 2 repeat viewings and a few tv show screenings... not too shabby. Thanks to everyone for their contributions here.

100 Free Films in 2011 Member #6: 181/100
My top 10 films of 2011

100 Free Films in 2012 Member #6: 210/100

Why not visit my film blog?

Sydney_Bristow
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 2337
Preferred Cinemas: Central London pretty please with sugar on top
I have tickets for: jaws 21
I haven't got tickets for: bon jovi - will do your laundry for em!
I don't want tickets for: documentaries coz I get bored easi....zzzzz

#156 Post by Sydney_Bristow » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:00 pm

:giggle: SJ was a right corker!!

We saw this and loved it! Shocking huh? :p Well it was based around American Football so bf was bound to love it as he's always been a huge fan(atic) [although not of OleMiss!!!!!!!!!]. You have no idea how many games I've had to sit through (zzzzzz :roll: zzzzzzz), just how many "lesson's" I've had on the subject (bf still doesn't get that it's not REAL football :p ) and how many parties we've missed because of a darn game. The things I do for love.....sigh :roll:

:giggle:

Anyway, giving this 10/10 because I left the cinema with that warm fuzzy feeling inside and my angel-who-is-gonna-make-me-clam-chowder-tonight-while-I-have-a-nice-long-soak (you PROMISED!!! :twisted: :twisted: ) liked the footy stuff.

:mrgreen: Go Packers! :mrgreen:

Member Number 69 of the 100 movies in 2019 Club. Lets see how we get on with this..... fingers crossed.

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#157 Post by anakin » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:16 pm

Sydney_Bristow wrote:Anyway, giving this 10/10 because I left the cinema with that warm fuzzy feeling inside and my angel-who-is-gonna-make-me-clam-chowder-tonight-while-I-have-a-nice-long-soak (you PROMISED!!! :twisted: :twisted: ) liked the footy stuff.
Good work!
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

ciro22
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 50

#158 Post by ciro22 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:29 pm

Saw this last night and it's a pretty likeable film which is further enhanced by the fact that it is based on a true story (I knew about Michael Oher before seeing the film but I don't think it makes a difference to the viewer overall).

All the free screenings are because the story is unknown and most people in the U.K don't really follow U.S Football. However the focus is clearly on the kid and the family that adopt him and I think that kind of story would work for most audiences. For instance, my girlfriend kept asking me about the game sequences, NCAA football, boosters etc. but that still didn't stop her getting all teary-eyed towards the end... :P

I'm not sure whether Sandra Bullock really deserved the Best Actress Oscar (although that doesn't mean her performance wasn't good) but I guess it wasn't the most competitive year in that category to begin with.

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#159 Post by alythonian » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:52 pm

I decided to go and see this again at the SFF afternoon screening today in Edinburgh.

Much to my surprise it was about 55% full.

I enjoyed it just as much as the first time I saw it in December last year.

It's a real feel good movie and I commend it to one and all!
Alythonian

splodgy

#160 Post by splodgy » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:00 pm

Saw the Blind Side in Cardiff last night. I wasn't really expecting much as I'm not into sport. But I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I actually really enjoyed it. I thought the story was great and Sandra Bullock's acting was excellent. It was both funny in places and a little sad and I will definitely recommend it to friends.