Land of the Lost

Discuss movies (including free films)
a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

Land of the Lost

#1 Post by a_person » Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:13 pm

This big-screen adaptation of Land of the Lost stars Will Ferrell as Dr. Rick Marshall, a quantum paleontologist who has been discredited in the scientific world due to his strident belief in time travel as the cure for all of humanity's problems. After hitting an all-time low, giving a lecture to elementary school kids, Dr. Marshall meets an ambitious young scientist named Holly (Anna Friel), who tells him she has followed all his work and believes he's a genius. Spurred on by her enthusiasm, he finishes building the device that will allow him to time travel -- something he promptly does along with Holly, and white-trash fireworks salesman Will (Danny McBride), after Will leads them into a cave that seems like a promising place to test the new machine. They end up in a world full of dinosaurs, sand, and scary lizard-like creatures known as Sleestacks. They quickly lose the machine that brought them to this alternate universe, and if they ever want to return home, the trio must recover it with the help of Chaka (Jorma Taccone), the monkey-like friend they make in this strange place.

Trailer:
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

cellar_door

Re: Land of the Lost

#2 Post by cellar_door » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:49 am

Is anyone else really surprised there are no previews for this film?

It is the very last topic in this forum so I guess not many people are interested. The trailer amused me, Metacritic gives it a pathetic 32 :(

Anyone one going to see it or heard anything good?

crispoke

#3 Post by crispoke » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:56 am

The reviews i have read have not been positive, which is a pity as the trailer looked okay.

Also I love danny mcbride, fist foot way is fantastic, but karate chopped by EAST BOUND AND DOWN, where he stars as a white trash, down on his luck and past his best major league baseball star, having to return to his small town and take up a job as a pe teacher.
Its a tv show on hbo, and has some of the most choice language i have ever witnessed in a sit com (malcolm tucker aside) Will ferrel exec produes, and also pops up with one of his best characters, ashley schaeffer, bmw franchise owner!

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0

#4 Post by EthanRunt » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:33 pm

I know there's a lot of negativity surrounding it but with McBride and Ferell, and Jorma Taccone as a monkey man, it has solid comedy ingredients, I just hope it's not Love Gurur bad. Though I think Year One reached those depths, maybe this'll be the Get Smart of this year, surprisingly hysterical but not critic friendly.

biggins
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 66
Preferred Cinemas: Any in Edinburgh

#5 Post by biggins » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:18 pm

I quite fancied this film but blooming typical the code comes out and what day is it for - The same day as I have The Taking of Pelham123 !!! :wall:

Here's hoping it has another code for another date as I don't want to give up seeing The Taking of Pelham.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2020" club 1 seen 99 to go.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 10 seen .
Member no. 23 of the "100 free film Club" 57 seen 2010.

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#6 Post by Beate » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:19 pm

Land of the Lost has Will Ferrell in it which in my opinion is one of the unfunniest comedians around, so I would go for Taking of Pelham 123 anyway, that's a decent film!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

spuckle

#7 Post by spuckle » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:12 pm

Saw this tonight at a half full Cineworld in Glasgow, absolutely rubbish.

I even would go so far as to say I deserve compensated for my time it was that bad!!!

Guess you gotta take the rough with the smooth, hope Mission X tomorrow is better....

lucky_charm

#8 Post by lucky_charm » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:39 am

I was at Cineworld Glasgow too, I thought this film was very thrown together and every time the actress (there was pretty much only one actress so the fact that I've forgotten her name is irrelevant!) spoke I found it very grating. TBH I wasn't expecting much from the trailer and I have to say I think the trailer contains almost all the funny bits from the film. There was little to no plot, the characters were stereotypes and none of it was even remotely believable, but hey, that was to be expected! Unfortunately the lack of any of the aforementioned was not really compensated for in laughs. I would say it was OK, there were a few laugh out loud moments spread about here and there. 5/10

biggins
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 66
Preferred Cinemas: Any in Edinburgh

#9 Post by biggins » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:33 pm

SO GLAD I stuck with the Tickets for Pelham which we enjoyed. Would have been furious if I had gone to this instead. Thanks for the advice Beate. o/
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2020" club 1 seen 99 to go.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 10 seen .
Member no. 23 of the "100 free film Club" 57 seen 2010.

large marge
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 139
Preferred Cinemas: Dundee
I haven't got tickets for: Anything else!

#10 Post by large marge » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:51 pm

Saw in Cineworld. Dundee. For all you people that got to see Pelham, lucky you! Not much choice up here. Anyway, it was very silly, and funny in a daft, childish way - you'd love it if you're about 12! Saying that, my kids (in their 20s) thought it was hilarious. I did laugh at a lot of it mostly due to the complete silliness of it.
Best bit was the mosquito scene. Image I'd give it 6/10
One thing surprised me - it was rated 12a & there were a lot of kids under that age (some very young) and the film contained a fair few sexual references & mild swearing (although WF did mouth 'f___ you' at one point quite clearly - children's laughs showed they picked up on that too). Thought it would have been better as a 12. Maybe I'm just getting old :confused:
ImageImage
Tell 'em Large Marge Sent Ya!