why go to see a preview?

Discuss movies (including free films)
cellar_door

why go to see a preview?

#1 Post by cellar_door » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:35 pm

My curiosity again.

Just wondered what is the motivation of people on this forum to see a preview of a film?

Is it the free aspect? So would you see something that does not appeal just because it was free?

Is it the aspect of seeing it before people who are not aware of previews and fmuk?

If you are unsuccessful on not getting tickets to a preview for a film do you still go and see it when on general release?

If you see a preview would you go see the film again when it is on general release?

Or maybe you are just movie mad and love watching films whether you find them good or not?

Are you selective when applying for a preview eg. would you pass on getting tickets for something available if the film did not appeal to your tatses?

Cheers, cellar x

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

Re: why go to see a preview?

#2 Post by valda » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:44 pm

Hi Cellar,

For me its a bit of everything. I used to work for a film company and saw films all the time free and before release so I like that aspect. Its great seeing something before the general release.

Another reason is that generally I find the free screening audience, more respectful? There's less texting, roaming around, snacking, talking than I find in a typical ' evening screening'. When I'm rich I'll have my own cinemas with very strict rules LOL

I try to go to as many as I can now, unless I know it would not be my thing for definate. If I didn't get tickets, usually I wouldn't bother unless its a film on my 'must see' list. If its really good I would do repeat viewings, although I'm not as bad as I used to be in my youth :(
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#3 Post by EthanRunt » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:17 pm

The free and before it's out-ness do help, sometimes I wait for a film and get a screening, only to find it's rubbish and am thankful I never wasted my money, sometimes I miss out, and sometimes I'll not see the film, but I only go for films that have some appeal to me, I wouldn't see a violent gorefest as it is free, nor some tween comedy about Hannah Setanta and the Virgin Brothers being nice and having jolly good times whilst singing annoying and poorly constructed songs.

priamia
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 455
Preferred Cinemas: All Central London: Check full list of cinemas in my interests
I have tickets for: Everybody's Fine/Lovely Bones, The Wolfman, Kick Ass,

#4 Post by priamia » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:44 pm

My boyf calls me a 'hardcore movie goer'. :giggle: I go as it's free and usually it's to see a movie I wouldn't ordinarily watch. I don't watch trailers before going as they usually contain the best parts of the movie in them. So I go into the screening with an open mind.

Yes, it is great when it's a huge blockbuster. Star Trek was amazing! But it's also good that we get the chance to see independent films too. If I missed a preview, depending on how much I wanted to watch it, I suppose I would p*y to see it - but that hasn't happened in a while.

FMUK is fab!! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:
Preferred cinemas: All Central London: APOLLO Piccadilly, EMPIRE Leicester Sq; ODEONS: Leicester Sq/Covent Garden/West End/Whiteleys/Panton St; VUE: West End/Fulham/Islington, CINEWORLD: Haymarket/Shaftesbury Ave; Brixton Ritzy,
Then: Westfield, o2, Clapham

biggins
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 66
Preferred Cinemas: Any in Edinburgh

#5 Post by biggins » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:50 pm

The fact that there are so many people on this forum shows it is the Free factor that comes first but I enjoy seeing a film before anyone else so when a collegue at work says they are going to see a film you can say you have already seen it and enjoyed (or hated) it.

I would not go and sit through a film just because it is free. Have more to do than waste my time watching something I don't like. You wouldn't sit at home for two hours watching something on TV that you don't like so why go out to a film and waste your time watching rubbish. I have not gone for Bruno tickets because I don't like him although I know others think he is funny.

Just got tickets for the Eddie Murphy film - I think he is funny and looking forward to it.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2020" club 1 seen 99 to go.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 10 seen .
Member no. 23 of the "100 free film Club" 57 seen 2010.

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#6 Post by Beate » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:48 pm

I love films. I get to see them first and for free. Total genius.
There are no adverts that waste half an hour of your time.
I like the film times and I like that I get to experience so many different cinemas.
I have made friends going to free previews.
I have broadened my horizon and seen some amazing films.
If I don't like a film it's no big deal as I didn't have to p*y.
If I love a film I will go and see it again, preferably with free cinema vouchers though!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Ms Thrifty

#7 Post by Ms Thrifty » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:30 am

Can't beat -or even match - Beate's list, but one thing in particular: I do get fed up with the long wait for films to be released, and previews reduce the agony somewhat. Look at all the fuss about "Bruno", which has been going on for weeks now, and no-one has even seen a free preview yet. Once I've heard about a film and decided I want to see it, that's just what I want to do - not wait weeks for it to happen. What does then seem strange is when the previews go on for a while so that, by the time the film is released and the reviews are published, it seems quite old hat, c.f. "Sunshine Cleaning", which only opens today, but which some of us saw as early as 2 weeks ago. I also think that if you are a keen cinema-goer, being able to go to free previews represents a small reward for your loyalty and commitment. I'm always amazed when I mention forthcoming films to others and they haven't even heard of them, let alone do they have any idea of the subject matter, etc -yet these are people who do go to the cinema and claim to be interested.

DAL1977
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: ANY LONDON

#8 Post by DAL1977 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:25 am

WHO WOULDN'T WANT A FREE/VERY CHEAP NIGHT OUT?

MY WIFE AND I RECENTLY SAW THE HANGOVER AT SURREY QUAYS, WE ARRIVED EARLY SO DECIDED TO GET SOMETHING TO EAT, IT WAS 'HAPPY HOUR' IN PIZZA HUT SO AT THE END OF THE NIGHT I HAD SPENT £7 FOR US BOTH TO EAT OUT AND SEE A FILM- o/

I AGREE THAT IT IS ALSO GOOD TO HAVE 'SEEN FILMS FIRST'

D

blackiceboy
Air Force One
Air Force One

#9 Post by blackiceboy » Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:11 pm

It's quite simply; a small pleasure in life!

I have no problem parting with my flash cash to go to the cinema (it's my favourite past time), so I can definitely say the best bit about free codes is getting the chance to watch a flick before anyone else (in some case N.American audiences!).

Actually, I'm surprised how many people grumble about having to b*y newspapers/mags if the ticket print out requires a page.

I b*ght the Sunday Times on Sunday for tickets to My Sister's Keeper (which I enjoyed), and discovered that the newspaper had vouchers for M&S drinks everyday this week! So, if you consider the tickets/drinks...I managed to make £20+ savings from my £2 investment - not bad! See, good things do happen to people who attach cut outs from newspapers!

phunkygal
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 3002
Preferred Cinemas: Central London - Cineworld Haymarket/Shaftsbury Avenue Odeon Leicester Square/Covent Garden/Panton Street/Tottenham Court Road/Marble Arch, Vue West End/Islington Empire Leicester Square, Prince Charles Cinema, Apollo Piccadilly Circus, BFI

#10 Post by phunkygal » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:28 pm

valda wrote: Another reason is that generally I find the free screening audience, more respectful? There's less texting, roaming around, snacking, talking than I find in a typical ' evening screening'. When I'm rich I'll have my own cinemas with very strict rules LOL
I tend to find the opposite quite often.. as there are no trailers the latecomers (and there are usually more latecomers than at normal screenigns in my experience as they're not so bothered to miss some of the film as its free) always ruin the film and again they tend not to be so bothered and talk through the film as they havent pa*d to see it but this varies from screenign to screening.. i think i am just always unlucky in sittng near the people who decide to discuss every bloody scene.

Personally although i can see why its nice to say youve seen a film before your friends i go as I just love films.. I have a degree in film and have spent my whole life watching films.. there are very few days in my life when I wont have watched at least one film that day... at uni i would sometimes watch 7 a day!

Why i do the free preveiws is that i work in the arts and get pa*d in peanuts so cannot afford the cinema especially the £10 each it costs in Lonodn. Buts its not just films i do for free i go to tv and radio show recordings at least once a week and often win tickets for theatre and gigs etc... ususally i do something for free every week night in London as its quite easy to do

Because of previews generally being blockbusters there are quite a few films that i might not have seen otherwise at the cinema but these are the ones my OH loves so hes happy.. but I wouldnt go to something i know i would walk out of like those staright to video horror films.
.. but the majority of films I have seen are actually through competition wins and are films i would definitely have seen if I didnt do the previews thing.

Thinking about this i decided to a breakdown of the free films i have seen so far this year and was surprsied by how few of them were from tellten/sff codes

Won from Competitions (33)
Including Premieres (7) Complimentary vouchers won and chosen to see a particualr film(6)
Myspace(1) Film Factory(1) Eros(2) Timeout(1)Other comp wins for specific screenings(15)
Tellten/SFF (15)
Metrodome (2)
Times (5)
Orange Telegraph Bafta (5)
Sky (1)
RSA (2)
Other (9)
- most of which have been through emailing the specific people running the screening