An Education

Discuss movies (including free films)
Ms Thrifty

An Education

#1 Post by Ms Thrifty » Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:11 pm

A long wait for this one as the UK release date isn't until 30 October, but Lynn Barber, who wrote the book on which this film is based, features on today's R4 arts magazine programme "Saturday Review". On IMDB it is currently rated 7.3/10, which sounds promising, but why do we have to wait so much longer for the UK release?!

Cortone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 1037
Preferred Cinemas: All York and Leeds, Harrogate, Bradford.

Re: An Education

#2 Post by Cortone » Sun Jun 28, 2009 6:49 pm

Thanks Ms Thrifty. I didn't realise this was a film, as well as a book.

I read about the book in one of the papers, which frankly did not appeal to me, as it seemed disloyal to her parents (her mother is still alive). However, I then heard her on Radio 4, and the original newspaper article appeared a little one-sided, and it sounded quite an intriguing story.

I'm surprised that the release is so late given the current phase of publicity.

Ms Thrifty

#3 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:13 am

Remember the days when the release of (vinyl) records could be brought forward by public pressure? If only that applied to films! But yes, why waste the coverage and let it go off the boil again? Unless they are starting now on a very long publicity campaign, which wouldn't suggest much confidence in the product.

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 1939
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

An Education

#4 Post by andrews » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:49 pm

Jenny (Carey Mulligan) is a bright young girl on the cusp of her 17th birthday who finds herself in a whirlwind romance with a much older David (Peter Sarsgaard). Prior to meeting David, Jenny was trying to excel in her life by going to a prep school to get into Oxford. Once she sees the lifestyle David can provide, one she never imagined might so easily be hers, she is hooked and thoughts of Oxford go out the window. Then, when things are looking pretty good for Jenny with the dashing (yet a little too smooth) David, the truth hits her like a ton of bricks. Jenny goes from being a bright eyed school girl to a sophisticated young lady and then all the way back to questioning if she really knows who she is at all. Any more info will ruin the story. Go watch it and enjoy! An Education won the Audience Choice award and the Cinematography award at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival.

Trailer:

I like this trailer - looks promising! o/
Member Number 3 of the "100 Free Films in 2018 Club"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#5 Post by superhero » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:06 am

I wonder how many people in the UK are going to grab the tickets for the screening on Sunday morning anyway, even though it's in Melbourne!

elski
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 1223

#6 Post by elski » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:42 am

LOL I was just coming to say just got email a code from SFF for melbourne, are they sending them out on the off-chance some of us are on hols over there?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 195 films seen!!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 10#p386907

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Member No. 25 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 170 seen!
List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 59#p375395
2015 -210 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p354785
2014 - 178 films seen! List: http://www.fmuk.org.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... 20#p321617
2013 - 104 films seen!
2012 - 103 films seen
2011 - 110 films seen
2010 - 82 films seen
2009 - 72 films seen
2008 - 41 films seen

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#7 Post by anakin » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:55 am

Wish I'd got the code, have heaps of friends in Melbourne that would love a freebie! Could you send it to me please?

Thx muchly!
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

Ms Thrifty

#8 Post by Ms Thrifty » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:22 pm

Saw the trailer in the cinema for the first time today, so maybe there'll be some more previews announced soon.

moondance
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 188

#9 Post by moondance » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:47 pm

Just read this thread - When is the screening in Melbourne or has it gone? I have some friends there at the moment............
Preferred cinemas:
Central London and North London as far north as the Hampstead Everyman including Picturehouse Hackney/Notting Hill Gate - but not Wood Green and North Finchley as they are just a bit too far.

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

#10 Post by a_person » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:16 am

I think it's already gone.

EDIT: Oops, I was wrong... Sorry. PM'd you anyway. :red:
Last edited by a_person on Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays