The Secret in Their Eyes

Discuss movies (including free films)
iansutts
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

The Secret in Their Eyes

#11 Post by iansutts » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:58 am

Just as a word of warning, i won a pair of tickets through Lovefilm for the screening of The A-Team, sent my confirmation email and didnt receive any more information regarding location, etc. Thus not being able to go!

I have since sent a complaint to them and they were sincerely sorry for the non-response and have since offered me some preview tickets at a later date.

Just thought i'd let you know, they dont seem tot be the best at communication, very annoying when you think you have won a competion!

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: The Secret in Their Eyes

#12 Post by Beate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:25 am

I am sure it was only a misunderstanding - annoying but the rest seem to have got the email with the details.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Beate
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#13 Post by Beate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:56 pm

Not many seats left empty at the MPC Wardour Street, but then that's not that difficult if there are only 53.

Imagine you have one criminal case that haunts you all your life because it spills over in your own life and changes it completely. Imagine you love a woman all your life even though she is always out of reach. Imagine what you would do if someone raped and killed your wife and did not get the punishment he deserved. This is the story of The Secret in Their Eyes, and it's a cracking one.

The OH did his usual "Oh please don't tell me this isn't in English!" when the first subtitles came up but then really enjoyed it too (as he always does). It starts a bit slow, but I hardly dared breathe in the last half hour. I constantly tried to guess what was coming and I got a few things right but I was too slow for the final twist, as logical as it was. Had a few tears in my eyes at the final scene. There were brilliant performances all-round and I would not hesitate in recommending this film.

8/10

I have a week now to write a coherent review for lovefilm!

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#14 Post by EthanRunt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:06 pm

Sitting with chicken on a fork is perhaps not a good way to write a short review on the film, but...
Having not been to the MPC since Franklyn last February, it's nice they've changed the entrance to the back.
The screening was nice, bit of an annoyance in the back row with phones, but overal the screen was clear, the sound excellent, and the digital print, mmmmm gorgeous.
The film, however, was a little bit of a let down in the final half an hour, what begins as an entertaining and interesting drama about a cop case preying on one man's mind, ala Zodiac, trails off into various endings that never have as big an impact as they should and the characters become a little dull.

Still, better than the other nominees this year, and man, that Stadium scene, how's that for choreography.
8/10

Beate

#15 Post by Beate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:11 pm

EthanRunt wrote:The screening was nice, bit of an annoyance in the back row with phones,
That was my OH's phone. :red: :shifty: I sincerely apologize, he usually always switches it off and never gets a call anyway, the one time he doesn't he promptly gets one! So embarrassing! And then it was the AA, for God's sake! Not that he answered, we found out from the number later. :rolleyes:

Beate

#16 Post by Beate » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 pm

EthanRunt wrote: The film, however, was a little bit of a let down in the final half an hour, what begins as an entertaining and interesting drama about a cop case preying on one man's mind, ala Zodiac, trails off into various endings that never have as big an impact as they should and the characters become a little dull.
Huh. I specifically liked the last half hour! Oh well.

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#17 Post by EthanRunt » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:15 pm

It's no worry, it was over before the half hour mark, and it wasn't too loud, it was just one of those things (I thought it was a little odd having mobiles in the older parts of the film)

tomorrow72
Phase IV
Phase IV

#18 Post by tomorrow72 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:51 pm

What a fantastic movie, kept me guessing all the way through - cant wait to see this one again (9.99999/10)

opas
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 157
Preferred Cinemas: Central London (All West End), East London (WIQ, Stratford), North London (Islington), South East London (Greenwich, Surrey Quays), Cineworld Ilford and West London (Shepherds Bush, Whiteleys)

#19 Post by opas » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:05 am

My work colleague was raving about this yesterday. Not sure how she got to see it but she said her and her husband saw it a while ago :confused: She did mention that it was called something like, The Secret in their Eyes or The Secret in their Ears :D so I wonder if she saw the original Spanish language version and got a bit mixed up with her translation (not sure I should take her review too seriously then, her Spanish may not be as good as I thought!).

Anyway, I'm very intrigued to see this following the positive views. Seems like my type of film. Maybe time to use one of my precious odeon vouchers - if it is showing through the odeon chain.
Member No. 16 of the "100 free films in 2016" club
3 seen / 97 to go

41 films seen in 2015, 55 films seen in 2013, 72 free films seen in 2012
60 free films seen in 2011, 57 free films seen in 2010
51 free films seen in 2009, 47 free films seen in 2008

Beate

#20 Post by Beate » Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:35 pm