Julie & Julia

Discuss movies (including free films)
andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 1939
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

Julie and Julia

#1 Post by andrews » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:50 pm

Julia Child (Meryl Streep) and Julie Powell (Amy Adams) are featured in writer-director Nora Ephron's adaptation of two bestselling memoirs: Powell's Julie & Julia and My Life in France, by Julia Child with Alex Prud'homme. Based on two true stories, Julie & Julia intertwines the lives of two women who, though separated by time and space, are both at loose ends...until they discover that with the right combination of passion, fearlessness and butter, anything is possible.

Release Date: 11th September 2009 (UK)

Trailer: http://www.julieandjulia.com/
Member Number 3 of the "100 Free Films in 2018 Club"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Cortone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 1037
Preferred Cinemas: All York and Leeds, Harrogate, Bradford.

Re: Julie and Julia

#2 Post by Cortone » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:52 pm

Oh, I think this will be good. Meryl Streep & Amy Adams & Nora Ephron .

I wonder if there will be any previews...

Sydney_Bristow
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 2337
Preferred Cinemas: Central London pretty please with sugar on top
I have tickets for: jaws 21
I haven't got tickets for: bon jovi - will do your laundry for em!
I don't want tickets for: documentaries coz I get bored easi....zzzzz

#3 Post by Sydney_Bristow » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:03 pm

"until they discover that with the right combination of passion, fearlessness and butter, anything is possible."

:giggle: :giggle:

Member Number 69 of the 100 movies in 2019 Club. Lets see how we get on with this..... fingers crossed.

opas
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 157
Preferred Cinemas: Central London (All West End), East London (WIQ, Stratford), North London (Islington), South East London (Greenwich, Surrey Quays), Cineworld Ilford and West London (Shepherds Bush, Whiteleys)

#4 Post by opas » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:22 pm

I may be wrong but I think there was a short trailer for this before Coco Before Chanel this morning- looked quite good.
Member No. 16 of the "100 free films in 2016" club
3 seen / 97 to go

41 films seen in 2015, 55 films seen in 2013, 72 free films seen in 2012
60 free films seen in 2011, 57 free films seen in 2010
51 free films seen in 2009, 47 free films seen in 2008

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#5 Post by Beate » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:26 pm

No, you're not - I saw it too.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Cortone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 1037
Preferred Cinemas: All York and Leeds, Harrogate, Bradford.

#6 Post by Cortone » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:08 pm

I don't remember seeing this at York...

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#7 Post by superhero » Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:23 pm

Funny that most people are just typing Julia and Julia! It sounds like a pretty good film. Well most of Meryl Streep's work are pretty solid....

Ms Thrifty

#8 Post by Ms Thrifty » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:04 am

Looks like I shall miss out on this one as I am away that week - only in the UK, but miles from any previews. The UK release date is the same week, so unless there are some yet-to-be announced previews the week before, I shall be too late to see it free. There does seem to have been an unusually long notice period for this particular preview.

bevvy
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 202

#9 Post by bevvy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:50 am

From The Guardian online

Julie & Julia causes stir as fans grab chef's recipe booksPopularity surrounding latest Meryl Streep movie leads to run on US bookstores

Film merchandising usually comes in the form of unnecessary plastic objects or high-calorie fast food special offers, from Transformer toys to McDonald's tie-ins. It's an unusual movie that triggers sales of cordon bleu recipe books and Le Creuset cookware. But the latest Meryl Streep film, Julie & Julia, is having just that effect.

Written and directed by Nora Ephron of When Harry Met Sally fame, it blends the tales of two women, the chef Julia Child, and a New York community worker, Julie Powell. Powell's memoir Julie and Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously, which started life as a blog, details her yearlong attempt to cook each of the 524 recipes in Child's culinary classic Mastering the Art of French Cookery.

The original book came about when Child - who died in 2004 at the age of 91 - was at a loose end in 1948 in Paris, where her diplomat husband had been posted. Bored, she wrote the now legendary recipe book after struggling to teach herself to cook. Now viewers of the film seem to be inspired by its lingering close-up shots of her dishes to try the same.

Mastering the Art of French Cookery, published nearly 50 years ago, has returned to the top of bestseller lists, while other books by the late chef are selling strongly on Amazon's website, including her autobiography My Life in France, on which the film is based, and Julia's Kitchen Wisdom. Powell's book has also had a sales boost.

According to the Los Angeles Times, employees at the Barnes & Noble bookshop next to a cinema in the city know precisely when a screening of Julie & Julia ends because moviegoers pour in to look for books by Child and Powell.

"It was a little crazy when the film opened last week, akin to a foodie's Harry Potter event," store manager Lisa Abreu said. Within an hour of the first showing, the store had sold out of its stock.

Some retailers have raffled off VIP passes to screenings of the film along with French wines, Le Creuset cookware sets and Julie & Julia aprons, while cookery schools offering classes in classic French techniques have seen an increase in inquiries.

The film opens in the UK on 11 September.

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 1939
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

#10 Post by andrews » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:18 pm

I am so disappointed that this is not getting free preview screenings up here in the North East. I would so like to have seen it - will probably use one of my free Cineworld tickets for this one.
The film is doing very well in the States. USA Today said that it was 'a light and entertaining treat, with winning performances, sharp writing and some happy surprises.'
Meryl Streep is praised - 'Streep plays Julia Child to perfection. She nails Child's distinctive vocal cadence, loping gait, awkward gestures and, above all, her voluble enthusiasm. Streep's turn as the sprightly TV chef is not only a wonderous impersonation but an intelligent and respectful portayal.'

'The film is spiced with plenty of humour and affection. The experience is well worth relishing.'

By the way, bevvy, the books were flying off the shelves - there was a huge display in Barnes and Noble - and I saw quite a few people reading it wherever I went.
Member Number 3 of the "100 Free Films in 2018 Club"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage