Rumba

Discuss movies (including free films)
Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Rumba

#1 Post by Beate » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:30 pm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1160022/

Teachers in a rural school, happy couple Fiona and Dom have a common passion: Latin Dancing. One night, after a glorious dance competition, they have a car accident and see their lives turn upside down. Rumba or how optimism and humour can overcome fatality!

The spirit of Jacques Tati is joyfully evoked in this bijou slice of Belgian physical comedy from writing-directing team Dominique Abel, Fiona Gordon and Bruno Romy. The film follows a happily married husband and wife who in the day relish their jobs teaching at a local primary school, but at night become champions on the Latin dance circuit. That is until tragedy strikes, and the couple are forced to re-evaluate their future…

I won tickets for Odeon Covent Garden on Tuesday, yippee!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Moomoo111

Re: Rumba

#2 Post by Moomoo111 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:46 pm

Congratulations Beate It sounds a really good film.

Beate
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#3 Post by Beate » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:42 pm

Has anyone else won tickets?

Beate

#4 Post by Beate » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:00 pm

Not sure where to start or how to rate this film. This is seriously one of the weirdest films I have ever seen. It's more like an acted comic strip than a real movie! At first I wasn't sure whether the characters could actually speak as they didn't say a word for the first 10 minutes or so, and even after that you only got the odd sentence out of them.

It was very oddly acted as well, they sometimes moved like marionettes I thought, kind of stiff. The couple was seriously odd too, both primary school teachers, him for sports, her for English, and their common passion was latin dancing. They had won a lot of trophies and the film basically starts showing them at school with their classes, then at home going to bed before a competition (lots of senseless switching on and off lights so they could put socks on or place an alarm clock in a drawer). Then we see them getting to the dance competition, her suddenly screaming and racing back home (she had forgotten her competition dress), then some comical dressing while driving. At one point he was steering with his feet! Coming back from the competition (they had won again), they had a car accident because someone trying to commit suicide by car had blocked the road. She lost a leg and he lost his memory. Up until now no one had spoken!

Now this is surely tragic but the film treated it more with a bizarre humour, showing her trying to balance her crutches in front of her class and him leading his sports class into the nearest pub as he had completely forgotten what he should have taught them.

Then she got an artificial wooden leg which she promptly accidentally set on fire, burning the house down. In the morning, he wandered off to b*y some croissants, forgetting where he lived, got on the bus, encountered the suicidal man who recognised him and promptly burst into floods of tears. As he had forgotten how he got home or that he had a wife he started living with the guy, leaving her to think he was dead, until they met a year later by chance on the beach.

Ever so weird. Oddly slapsticky funny too, but in a way that makes it really hard to score. The OH didn't like it and wanted to give it 2/10, I'd say 4/10 for the dancing and the cute labrador.

Beate

#5 Post by Beate » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:07 pm

The cinema wasn't very full btw, but I think the Pelham screening right next door in the next screen was quite full as the ushers had armfuls of SFF printouts! The OH met MariaLionza while waiting for me, who went to see Pelham.

We got talking to the couple next to us and introduced them to the world of free film via SFF etc. and I gave them this website address so I really really hope they will sign up and have a look around!

ejwrank
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0

#6 Post by ejwrank » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 am

We saw Rumba at the Odeon Panton Street and it was full. It's a very odd film but I really liked it. We agree with Beate that it's like an acted out comic strip and it's very quirky and weird but enjoyable and different from anything else I've seen.

I was asked for ID tonight -- I think it's because my daughter forwarded her winning email to me so I could print it out. They obviously thought I had obtained it through devious means! They let us in with my ID (daughter didn't bring any ID along) but I've never been asked for ID there before. I don't much like Panton Street- cinema was quite hot and we think it always smells like a loo.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2019" club -- 25 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2018" club -- 23 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2017" club -- 41 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2016" club -- 50 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2015" club -- 77 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2014" club -- 66 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2013" club-- 91 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2012" club--113 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2011" club--116 seen.

platining
The Third Man
The Third Man

#7 Post by platining » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:11 am

ejwrank wrote:I was asked for ID tonight -- I think it's because my daughter forwarded her winning email to me so I could print it out. They obviously thought I had obtained it through devious means! They let us in with my ID (daughter didn't bring any ID along) but I've never been asked for ID there before. I don't much like Panton Street- cinema was quite hot and we think it always smells like a loo.
Don't understand how this cinema survive with such poor condition and small screen. :tears:

platining
The Third Man
The Third Man

#8 Post by platining » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:19 am

Saw it in Panton Street. Screen so full and a bit stinky.

Surely the movie is not most ppl expected. A few ppl walked out during the movie. It was more like Charlie Chaplin movie with almost no talking at all.

I think it is more suitable to be on threatre rather than cinema. They tried very hard to be funnny but it was not very effective.

Rate 5/10.

Beate

#9 Post by Beate » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:55 pm

I think the Panton Street screen was full because it is quite small - we got a sizeable screen at Covent Garden. I hate Panton Street too, it has no incline so you can't see the screen with a big person in front of you.
Btw, I only ever print out the ticket itself, you don't need to show the email it came from, so that might make them less suspicious. The folks at Covent Garden care zilch about ID though anyway, they are really nice there, I keep seeing the same ushers.

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#10 Post by superhero » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:57 pm

I was at the Pelham screening at Covent Garden last night and no it wasn't full at all, maybe 50%?