Away We Go

Discuss movies (including free films)
a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

Re: Away We Go

#21 Post by a_person » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:47 pm

ejwrank wrote:We saw this at Cineworld, Haymarket. The cinema was pretty full and it's an odd shape and the screen is actually at a slight angle -- another carved up cinema.
I know which screen you went to!!! You have to sit on the left hand side of the cinema screen to get a good view!! We were in this screen for Sunshine Cleaning. Not a very big screen either.

They gave us a better screen for Up though!!! What is it with these West End cinemas! :rolleyes:
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

ejwrank
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0

#22 Post by ejwrank » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:51 pm

Too true what we've been saying about some London West End cinemas! The only good thing about Haymarket is that it doesn't smell like a toilet like the dreaded Panton Street. But the angled screen is ridiculous. The amazing thing is that some people actually spend a lot of money to see films in these places.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2019" club -- 25 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2018" club -- 23 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2017" club -- 41 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2016" club -- 50 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2015" club -- 77 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2014" club -- 66 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2013" club-- 91 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2012" club--113 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2011" club--116 seen.

Ms Thrifty

#23 Post by Ms Thrifty » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:04 pm

I would have to be desperate ever to go to Panton St again, even for a free preview. But Screen 2 at Haymarket runs it close.

moondance
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 188

#24 Post by moondance » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:00 am

ejwrank wrote:Too true what we've been saying about some London West End cinemas! The only good thing about Haymarket is that it doesn't smell like a toilet like the dreaded Panton Street. But the angled screen is ridiculous. The amazing thing is that some people actually spend a lot of money to see films in these places.
I was there as well last night. Yes you have to sit well over to the left to see at reasonable angle.........it might not smell like a toilet but someone in my near vicinity had terrible B.O. :noo:

Thought the film was good but I always seem to expect more than I get from Sam Mendes - for some reason I think his films should be better than they turn out to be. Felt the same with Revolutionary Road and American Beauty. That said it was still enjoyable.......
Preferred cinemas:
Central London and North London as far north as the Hampstead Everyman including Picturehouse Hackney/Notting Hill Gate - but not Wood Green and North Finchley as they are just a bit too far.

AnneJ

#25 Post by AnneJ » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:11 am

I also went to see it last night at Haymarket, I've never been to a cinema with a screen like that before!!! I think its normally £10 a ticket, would have been gutted to p*y to watch a slanted screen!! I liked the film, especially the 'stroller' scene, but thought it was too long and dragged at the end, the guy sitting next to me actually fell asleep!! 7/10.

Moomoo111

#26 Post by Moomoo111 » Wed Sep 02, 2009 10:35 am

Saw this last night at Cineworld in Birmingham. Ditto as to everyone's remarks about this film. Quite enjoyed it although a bit slow in places. I've got a sneaky feeling that Spanner will enjoy this one. I had a choice of three previews last night Adventureland, 500 Days of Summer or Away We Go and I think I picked the best one for me. 7/10

crapstonsqueen

#27 Post by crapstonsqueen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:26 am

saw this film last night at Cineworld wandsworth and it was mostly full but had people coming in all through the film. As for the film i really enjoyed it and would say it's the funniest film i've seen this year. I agree with others that the stroller scene was particularly funny. The film has a great soundtrack too. Definately worth a watch.

mdweaver
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Beckenham Odeon, Bromley Odeon, but any London cinema considered!

#28 Post by mdweaver » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Spanner wrote:hmmm there's not many reviews of this in yet is there???? I hope it's good i can't be doing with dreary introspective stuff atm.
I thought it was dreary introspective stuff :blink:

I also agree that the film was too slow and it felt like longer than 1 hour 35.
Member 47 of the "100 free films in 2011" Club - 15 seen
Member 47 of the "100 free films in 2010" club - 31 seen
Member 47 of the "100 free films in 2009" club - 38 seen.

AYBG
ASA NISI MASA
ASA NISI MASA
Old post count: 4439

Away We Go

#29 Post by AYBG » Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:54 pm

To see a trailer or rate this film, please click here »

mdweaver says:
I found it all a bit arty-farty. There were a couple of funny bits, his parents at the start, and the fruit cake "cousin" and her family, but was quite bored by the end. No more than 6/10.
Discuss this film on the forum
Top 50 Poster!

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#30 Post by valda » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:53 pm

mdweaver wrote:
Spanner wrote:hmmm there's not many reviews of this in yet is there???? I hope it's good i can't be doing with dreary introspective stuff atm.
I thought it was dreary introspective stuff :blink:

I also agree that the film was too slow and it felt like longer than 1 hour 35.
I'm afraid I'm going to third that! I saw it this morning at Vue Shepherds Bush, about 2/3 full. I was a bit tired going in and tired and depressed going out. Most of the segments really set my teeth on edge apart from the Montreal Segment and the 'stroller' segment (can't remember which town they were in) REally not my cup of tea although my friend enjoyed it. Great to hear Golden Brown though 6/10
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks