How To Shrink A Photo To Fit?

Ask questions, give feedback, discuss the site in general, etc
Ms Thrifty

How To Shrink A Photo To Fit?

#1 Post by Ms Thrifty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:23 am

As I don't have an avatar, I thought I could personalise my profile with one of my photos instead, as some others have done. However, when I tried to do this, I got an error message saying my photo had to be within certain size limits. I knew this, so wasn't surprised, but how do I shrink my photo to fit, please? If it's complicated, I'd appreciate a step-by-step guide in plain English. Thank you.

BettyBoop

Re: How To Shrink A Photo To Fit?

#2 Post by BettyBoop » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:32 am

I had the same problem every pic i wanted was too big..........another kind fmuk memeber emailed me varies pics i had described and sorted it for me but not sure how they did it!

Sorry I cudnt be anymore help!

xxx

Ms Thrifty

#3 Post by Ms Thrifty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:41 am

I did wonder if someone else could do it for me, but couldn't see how, as they wouldn't have access to my profile or photos. I shall have to see if anyone else responds...

steve9872
SuperMember
SuperMember
Old post count: 456

#4 Post by steve9872 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:07 pm

I use PaintShopPro for this but its an old program and no longer available. What you need is draw program which allows pixel size adjustments of image size. I just discovered OpenOffice.org is incapable of doing this, however MS Office's picture manager does appear to do this, its just not as versatile as psp. A good drawing package is the only way to do this, the choice I leave to you but if you have 10 year old cover discs lying around you might just find you already have PaintShopPro to hand.
Member number 13 of the 100 free films in 2019 club. o/
My more realistic target is 80 :tears:
20 seen so far, Páid for 0
Movie list 2019
29 seen 2018 :X
53 seen 2017 :nono:
61 seen 2016 :tears:
86 seen 2015 8-)
71 seen 2014 :tears:
90 seen 2013 8-)
77 seen 2012 8-)
69 seen 2011 8-)
60 seen 2010 8-)

Looking forward to in 2019: (Jan) Glass (Feb) (mar) Captain Marvel, (apr) Avengers: Endgame ,(May) (jun) Dark Phoenix, MIB: International (Jul) (aug) The new mutants, (sep) (oct) (nov) Kingsman 3 (dec)

Ms Thrifty

#5 Post by Ms Thrifty » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Thank you for this, Steve. It sounds as if it's well beyond my capabilities and I've only had my laptop 2 years so I don't have any old discs of the type you suggest. Also more trouble than it's worth - I think I should settle for something more realistic like trying to find an image to match one of my hobbies (e.g. a slice of cake or a pair of walking boots) and trying to use that instead. Even so it would probably be more than I could manage!

penny41

#6 Post by penny41 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:38 pm

had problems with an avatar myself...
look up free avaters and copy one to your pictures...

worked for me...

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

#7 Post by a_person » Sun Nov 22, 2009 4:32 pm

It depends how big your photo is that you are trying to resize. I use Adobe Photoshop for resizing but it's far too big to send over to you! There are also online resize thingys that you can use although sometimes you need to do it a few times to get it smaller.

Here is one I have used in the past that has worked: http://www.resize2mail.com/

- Click on "Browse" and locate your image (perhaps in "My Pictures"? so click on "My Documents" and then "My Pictures")
- Then select one of the options depending on your photo. You can do the percentage option if you're not sure about the pixels although I personally prefer to use pixels. (I'm sure you won't need to rotate it so you can leave that blank.)
- Then click "Okay" and it should resize it and then allow you to download and save it. If that option isn't available, the image will be there and you can just "right hand click" and then click on "Save picture" or whatever the actual phrase is ("save" being the important word here!).
- That should hopefully work and then you can upload it on here! ;)
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

Ms Thrifty

#8 Post by Ms Thrifty » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:36 am

My thanks to penny41 and a_person for these suggestions, which I will try after work, when I have time. One way or another, I should soon be able to enliven my signature...