Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: any London ones except Wandsworth & Enfield
I have tickets for: The Iron Lady, War Horse & a several vouchers

Re: London Film Festival 2011

#11 Post by soonforgotten » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:52 am

Here's my review for This Must Be the Place: http://wp.me/p1LZHn-8v

Imperfect, but I'm so glad I got to see this.
102 Different free films seen in 2010 plus 2 repeat viewings and a few tv show screenings... not too shabby. Thanks to everyone for their contributions here.

100 Free Films in 2011 Member #6: 181/100
My top 10 films of 2011

100 Free Films in 2012 Member #6: 210/100

Why not visit my film blog?

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: This Must Be The Place

#12 Post by Beate » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:24 am

This film is opening the Jewish Film Festival at Odeon West End tonight, with Sean Penn, Frances McDormand and Judd Hirsch said to be in attendance, and with myself in the audience, camera at the ready.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master

#13 Post by kevinknapman » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:34 pm

Forget to post a review in the London Film Festival thread after a saw it last Thursday, so here goes.
I enjoyed this a lot though it's a bit of an odd one. I have to admit that after seeing it my initial impression was, how exactly did Paolo Sorrentino come up with this. After all the study of a retired 80's musician living out his days in a Dublin mansion is an easy plot to get your head around. How exactly that 80's musician then becomes a Nazi hunter after his father's death is where it starts to get a little odd. Though taking this bizarre central character on an American road trip is inspired.
Thankfully the film has so much to recommend it besides that. It's a surprisingly very funny film, a lot of the humour coming from Penn's interactions with others.
Sean Penn is fascinating in the lead. Like a cross between Robert Smith and Ozzy Osborne. There's also excellent support from Frances McDormand (though disappointingly absent in the final part of the film), Judd Hirsch and Harry Dean Stanton (playing a real life person, Robert Plath, the inventor of rolling luggage).
It's also excellently shot by Luca Bigazzi (a Sorrentino regular and also responsible for Certified Copy) and consistently visually interesting. The soundtrack by David Byrne is also excellent and there are also songs written by Will Oldham (Bonnie Prince Billy).
There are perhaps a few to many plot holes and ambiguities that raise more questions than answers. There are also several slightly indulgent scenes that slow down the story a little. Including a David Byrne performance, though that does lead to a great scene where Sean Penn has a bit of a rant in the middle of one of Byrne's 'Playing the Building' projects. Overall though this is a fascinating and compelling enough story for that not to be a problem.
Definitely a unique film and well worth seeing.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

Beate
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#14 Post by Beate » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:15 pm

Right, so - what? Where was the red carpet? Where were the real celebrities? (Am not counting Vanessa Feltz). Got the tickets easy enough, and the seats in screen 1 turned out to be quite good, not right at the back, but still high enough, and in the corner of the first row of the circle bit, so had loadsa legroom. And we got goody bags, with the programme, a water bottle and a small Green & Black's in it. Unfortunately only dark chocolate in ours, and hdaniel82 ate her milk chocolate before I could stop her, LOL. The screening seemed more or less 100% full, but strangely enough we had 2 empty seats next to us, so we bagsied the remaining goody bags and moved two seats over once the film had started. When I say we, I mean me, as OH stubbornly stayed where he was, preferring his corner seat for some reason.

It took ages before everyone was seated and then we got speeches where someone thanked about a thousand people and mentioned all the Z-celebs in the audience. It should have started at 7pm, it finally got underway at 7.30pm!

The film was really rather bizarre. I surely didn't like it as much as some others here, in fact I found Cheyenne and the story downright strange. Some things I plain didn't understand (who was that Tony character, who was that woman with the long blonde hair, what was his relationship to that girl he tried to set up with that boy, what did the ending mean?), and a lot of shots were just atmospheric while contributing nothing to the story. Whatever the story really was. I did warm to Cheyenne after a while, but his weird way of speaking was a bit hard to bear. He sounded like a simpleton, but his thoughts and observations were razor sharp. It didn't get going until at least half an hour in and was definitely too long. Also maybe wishful thinking that even the tattooed heavies struck up nice conversations with him instead of beating him up for being odd. And you show becoming a proper adult by taking up smoking? :confused:

6/10

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

#15 Post by Celini » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:30 pm

@Beate, did OH like it? hdaniel?
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100

Beate

#16 Post by Beate » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:32 pm

OH likes almost every film, LOL.

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

#17 Post by Celini » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:33 pm

lucky him :D
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#18 Post by superhero » Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:38 am

Thanks to lovely Beate, I managed to see this film tonight.

I must have been met with the rudest festival staff ever. I looked like every other person at the screening but I was interrogated before being allowed in:
What's your name on the guestlist?
How did you get the tickets?
How did you know about the event?
What is this FMUK website?
Is this your friend?
Are you both travelling here?
Why are you here to watch this film?
How do you know about this film?
What is your interest in this film?
And no I wasn't wearing an Osama Bin Laden mask! And I sure I've missed out a few questions too, I was eventually allowed past once I said I missed this film at the London Film Festival so I was keen to catch up on the film.
I thought it was a wind-up, but surely he must have been the rudest festival staff/security ever. I was trying to break into the Oscars ceremony, geez!

Anyway, to the film, I much agree with Beate. I like oddball films and the film once again highlights Sean Penn's versatility as an actor. I somehow found alot of the scenes too over indulgent. This film is going to have little cross over appeal to the masses. 5/10

Beate

#19 Post by Beate » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:34 am

Hdaniel82 too said she was interrogated! A bit like trying to get into Israel, it's 20 questions at the airport as well. I was taken aback when asked for name on guest list as surely the fact we had glossy tickets should prove we are legit, but when he asked how I knew about the event, I simply said I had won the tickets on twitter and was let through at once. No further questions. Maybe I looked like I wasn't to be messed with? No idea. Wonder whether they asked Vanessas Feltz all those questions.

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#20 Post by canadian_turtle » Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:43 am

How odd, how did they even know about FMUK? :confused:
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)