Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

Discuss movies (including free films)
Jayman
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0

Re: Journey 2: The Mysterious Island

#31 Post by Jayman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 4:33 pm

Loved the bit where they showed the fish head getting sliced off by the fishmonger.
Now there's something you don't see everyday in kiddie movies. I wonder how many takes that took to get the perfect shot?
ImageImage

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#32 Post by canadian_turtle » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:01 pm

What's wrong with you people, this was so much fun! I really enjoyed it as a silly kiddies adventure movie (I'm a sucker for adventure movies and come on, Jules Verne is fantastic! And they threw in Jonathan Swist, RL Stevenson and Atlantis too. Adventure heaven!). And on top of that I thought the 3D was great and it made me jump a few times too.

It is however a movie that you should just take as it is without thinking too much (or at all) as there are too many improbabilities and plotholes and for the most part I succeeded in not thinking about them, but I do have one question:

[spoiler]I haven't read Mysterious Island so I am not sure what the canon is; but can someone explain to me the logic behind small animals being large and large animals being small? I thought it was a neat idea and the mini elephants were adorable, but why weren't the fireflies ginormous? And why was the giant bird still bigger than the giant bee?[/spoiler]
8.5/10 - pure mindless entertainment
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

tsoiboy
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#33 Post by tsoiboy » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:12 pm

Saw this today at the O2 Cineworld and it was pretty packed.

What can I say. It's a kids film. It was mindless and fun. There was no real tension and the film kept at an even pace. You knew that it was going to end well.

Not sure if I was entertained but the visuals were colourful and the 3 D ok. Some very obvious effects. Great for kids.

5/10 for an Adult. 8/10 if your a kid under 10.

PS. Thank you Valda for the tickets.
Member No. 42 of the 100 Free Films in 2014 Club 10 Films seen for free in 2014

My reviews:- http://londonfilmfan.blogspot.co.uk

124 Films seen for free in 2013

92 Films seen for free in 2012

22 Films seen for free in 2011

Have tickets for

Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays, O2 Cineworld, Islington Vue, Any Central London Cinema, Surrey Quays, Westfield Stratford Vue, Stratford East Picture House, Greenwich Picture House, Greenwich Odeon, Holloway Odeon

My Movie Scores for 2014 :Click here

My Movie Scores for 2013 :Click here

My Movie Scores for 2012 :Click Here

hopeprince
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Wood Green and anything east or central London.

#34 Post by hopeprince » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:21 pm

rawr_xoxo wrote: Good fun for kids however I thought they 'sexualised' VH a bit too much for kids...
Loved her dad as the comedic relief, cringed as usual at Dwayne's acting.
And the pecs thing :shifty:

Saw this at the O2 with my younger cousin. She doesn't usually watch 3D films so it was a first for her.
The film was as expected although the scenery and landscape was colorful but the CGI is so unreal. 5/10
Last edited by hopeprince on Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member No. 26 of the "100 free films in 2013" club.
29 seen in 2013
77 seen in 2012
101 seen in 2011
Cinemas in order of preference: Stratford East PH, Vue Stratford City, Greenwich (The O2, PH and Odeon), Islington, Ilford, WIQ, Holloway Road, Piccadilly Circus and anything east or central London.

weliveandbreathewords
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any Birmingham

#35 Post by weliveandbreathewords » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:24 pm

Oh god dont get me started on the pecks 8O
Shadowhunters: Looking better in black than the widows of our enemies since 1234.
I am, after all, what you made me.
Formerly known as rawr_xoxo
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 35 SEEN!
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 34 SEEN!
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 120 SEEN!
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 111 SEEN.
Member No. 48 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 77 SEEN.

I will be seeing:

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 1939
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

#36 Post by andrews » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:07 pm

canadian_turtle wrote:What's wrong with you people, this was so much fun! I really enjoyed it as a silly kiddies adventure movie (I'm a sucker for adventure movies and come on, Jules Verne is fantastic! And they threw in Jonathan Swist, RL Stevenson and Atlantis too. Adventure heaven!). And on top of that I thought the 3D was great and it made me jump a few times too.

It is however a movie that you should just take as it is without thinking too much (or at all) as there are too many improbabilities and plotholes and for the most part I succeeded in not thinking about them, but I do have one question:
8.5/10 - pure mindless entertainment
I think I'm with c-t here. I found this film tremendous fun - it was just the thing I was in need of today. The Showcase, Teesside was absolutely packed and there were many children in the audience. It was wonderful to hear their reactions at certain stages during the film, and let's not delude ourselves here - this film is a children's film. I took the whole thing at face value and really didn't give a hoot about its shortcomings. The 3D worked very well, and several members of this audience were ducking and diving from time to time.

On the whole, I'll give it 7/10 but the two nine years old I took said they would give it 10/10 - they thought it was brilliant! :D
Member Number 3 of the "100 Free Films in 2018 Club"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#37 Post by Beate » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:07 pm

No offense but the word is "pecs". Completely different to "a peck on the cheek".
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

valda
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Westfield, Shepherds Bush,Central London, Swiss Cottage most London ones really

#38 Post by valda » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:15 pm

Beate wrote:No offense but the word is "pecs". Completely different to "a peck on the cheek".
I was a bit confused by that as well
preferred locations Shepherds Bush, Westfield, Notting Hill, Central London, Wimbledon, Islington, Wandsworth thanks

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#39 Post by EthanRunt » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:25 pm

Gets a thumbs up from me. Silly, funny, gimmicky 3D, entertaining, The Rock sings and Michael Caine wears leathers. Yep.
Also, the pec scene.
8/10

hlm
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Coventry, Birmingham, Nuneaton

#40 Post by hlm » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:56 pm

Saw this at a packed out Coventry. Really enjoyed it, thought it was entertaining and some funny moments :)