Review: The Proposal

Discuss movies (including free films)
a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

The Proposal

#1 Post by a_person » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:47 pm

When high-powered book editor Margaret (Sandra Bullock) faces deportation to her native Canada, the quick-thinking exec declares that she's actually engaged to her unsuspecting put-upon assistant Andrew (Ryan Reynolds), who she's tormented for years. He agrees to participate in the charade, but with a few conditions of his own. The unlikely couple heads to Alaska to meet his quirky family (Mary Steenburgen, Craig T. Nelson, Betty White) and the always-in-control city girl finds herself in one comedic fish-out-of-water situation after another. With an impromptu wedding in the works and an immigration official on their tails, Margaret and Andrew reluctantly vow to stick to the plan despite the precarious consequences.

Trailer:
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 1939
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

Re: The Proposal

#2 Post by andrews » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:16 pm

I'm really looking forward to seeing this film. Thanks to a lot of my friends on the previous site, I have now tickets for 4 different dates for it. So it's make your mind up time for andrews. I like Sandra Bullock rom-com type films. I know what I'm going to get, but don't think I'll be able to go 4 times!!!! :lol:
Member Number 3 of the "100 Free Films in 2018 Club"

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

#3 Post by a_person » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:22 pm

Wow! How did you manage that?!!! I was so chuffed to get a pair for Covent Garden as the other locations were too far out for me!

You should treat all your friends to the film and go with them all! :lol:

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: In order of preference: MetroCentre-Gateshead, Boldon, Gateshead Trinity Square, Newcastle, Middlesbrough, and Tyneside Cinema

#4 Post by andrews » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:27 pm

There were several people looking out for tickets for the North East contingent, and when the site was having problems, the tickets were sent to me for safe keeping. I'm hoping that Spanner and Bevd77 will need some. I'm hoping people will contact me and ask for the spares as they see my posts. I'm not greedy.

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2

#5 Post by a_person » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:30 pm

andrews wrote:There were several people looking out for tickets for the North East contingent, and when the site was having problems, the tickets were sent to me for safe keeping. I'm hoping that Spanner and Bevd77 will need some. I'm hoping people will contact me and ask for the spares as they see my posts. I'm not greedy.
Sorry I wasn't implying your greedy. :( I just found it funny.

I'm sure you will find good homes for them all.

Preferred cinema list:

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2

#6 Post by andrews » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:35 pm

a_person wrote:
andrews wrote:There were several people looking out for tickets for the North East contingent, and when the site was having problems, the tickets were sent to me for safe keeping. I'm hoping that Spanner and Bevd77 will need some. I'm hoping people will contact me and ask for the spares as they see my posts. I'm not greedy.
Sorry I wasn't implying your greedy. :( I just found it funny.

I'm sure you will find good homes for them all.

I didn't take it that way at all! :D

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2

#7 Post by a_person » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:37 pm

andrews wrote:

I didn't take it that way at all! :D
Hehe! Phew! Ask Phunkygal - I'm a worrier! I worry about everything! :lol:

Preferred cinema list:

innins

#8 Post by innins » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:17 pm

the proposal looks quite good and funny from what i have seen advertised.
Last edited by innins on Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#9 Post by Beate » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:18 pm

You need to post a request in Wanted
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

andrews
8 1/2
8 1/2

#10 Post by andrews » Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:29 pm

Bullock tops the box office chart after ten year wait.

Sandra Bullock has topped the US box office chart with her new comedy The Proposal - her first number one film in ten years.

The Proposal's haul of $34 million also marked Bullock's biggest ever opening. The comedy sees Bullock's high flying executive attempting to marry her lowly assistant, played by Ryan Reynolds, in a bid to obtain a green card.

"It definitely met and exceeded our expectations. In a summer with a lot of sequels, it's always nice to have an original movie," said Disney's president Mark Zoradi.

Bullock's last number one film was 1999's Forces of Nature with Ben Affleck.

Box office smash The Hangover dropped to number two, while Pixar's Up was in third place.

Prehistoric comedy Year One and thriller The Taking of Pelham 123 rounded out the top five.