All things bright and Bollywood discussion thread

Discuss movies (including free films)
TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

Re: All things bright and Bollywood discussion thread

#11 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:31 pm

OK, Hopeprince, Anakin, Ms Thrifty, you desired it, so I giveth :) Making this thread a dedicated Bollywood/Asian thread, so I've renamed it appropriately.

I noticed recently since getting my Cineworld Unlimited pass that there is a Bollywood film released every week in the cinemas. I think I will try explore more of this colourful world at the cinema but I want to choose carefully as I know there are some atrocities in the mix not unlike Hollywood! I've only seen one in the cinema so far, the excellent Kahaani that I started off this thread with but its not really a typical Bollywood film being devoid of song and dance sequences. I've seen plenty on TV over the decades though, mostly very old Bollywood films because that is what my Caribbean mother (Guyana) is a big fan of (she doesnt know any Hindi but can sing the songs apparently word and note perfect according to Hindi speaking friends, weird. Mercifully she has a good voice so its not too much of a torture when she suddenly bursts out singing to herself). I have seen a few modern ones that came on TV but alarmingly most of them seem to star Sharukh Khan! I cant remember names of films but I'll try name my favourites. One was a really good film about a cricket match bet between the British Raj and the poor locals of an Indian Village who havent a clue how to play the game but is forced to try and beat the British team to win their freedom (or was it money? cant remember) but being a cricket fan I loved this one and it didnt have Sharukh Khan in it, lol. Another is a very old b&w film with Raj Kapoor and Nargis where Kapoor plays a Charlie Chaplinesque tramp, again I dont know the name of the it :( I'd be grateful if someone can identify the names of these movies for me. My absolute favourite, I do know the name of. And it is Sholay. Awesome Bolly-western and the songs are not just tuneful (the only film I find myself humming one of the tunes from) but they really do integrate well with the story, particularly the most amazing sequence involving a girl having to sing and dance for the mean old baddie to keep her boyfriend alive.

Hopefully from this thread I can pick up some recommendations from everyone, which I can add to my Lovefilm list ;)

So right now currently in the cinemas, there are 3 Asian films:

3. No I'm not doing a countdown, that's the bloody name of the film, "3"! it was a b*tch trying to google a review of this film. Its a Tamil film (I think, at least its a Tamil based story) and is basically a romance film in 3 stages. It gets a fair critical reception. This one looks to be very limited in its release so I will try to catch this one next week.

Trailer:
http://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/5204

Agent Vinod. This looks fun. Its a Jason Bourne style thriller. If I feel up to it, I might make this a double bill tonight with Wrath of the Titans.

Trailer:
http://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/5056

Kahaani - This is still in the cinemas but only at 3 London cinemas, Trocadero (Shaftesbury Ave), Feltham and Harrow. And only 2 others in UK, Birmingham and Leicester. Go see it if you have a chance! Ms Thrifty, still an opportunity this next week? ;)

Trailer:
http://www.cineworld.co.uk/films/5093

Can anyone tell me a good English written Bollywood film site that reviews upcoming films etc?
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.
PSN: TheyCallMeTej, Oculus: TheyCallMeTJ

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#12 Post by anakin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:38 pm

No idea about any current films, as I rarely watch them (I need subtitles). That said, I have some favourites.

Aradhna. Old, cheesy, a classic. It reminds me of my grandmother. And it has two of the biggest stars of the time in it.

Maine Pyar Kiya. Old, cheesy (there's a theme apparently). First Bollywood I rememer watching.

DDLJ. You must have seen this? [Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, or something like that]. EVERYONE saw this. Even I saw it in the cinema.

Got to dash, but will list some more classics when I can. I do have time to say that I HEART SHAH RUKH!!! ;)
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

evilzadi
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Greenwich, Wimbledon, Leicester Sqr

#13 Post by evilzadi » Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:12 pm

TheyCallMeMrGlass wrote:.. One was a really good film about a cricket match bet between the British Raj and the poor locals of an Indian Village who havent a clue how to play the game but is forced to try and beat the British team to win their freedom (or was it money? cant remember) but being a cricket fan I loved this one and it didnt have Sharukh Khan in it, lol...
I think you're talking about Lagaan. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169102/
I've watched it a couple of times, it's very good.
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Sponsor me HERE

:popcorn: <:D Member No. 32 of the "100 free films in 2014" club <:D :popcorn:
Target: 35, Seen so far: 3 Scores

28 seen in 2013
31 seen in 2012

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en

#14 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:09 pm

anakin wrote: DDLJ. You must have seen this? [Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, or something like that]. EVERYONE saw this. Even I saw it in the cinema.
:oops: ...I better add this to my Lovefilm priority queue then! Thanks for the other recommendations. I tried to find Aradhna. I found this, Aradhana, is it this one?

http://www.lovefilm.com/film/Aradhana/54865/
anakin wrote: I do have time to say that I HEART SHAH RUKH!!! ;)
Actually, reading my post I sound like I dont like him so to set the record straight, I think he's a great actor :) Its just that he seems to be the dominant Bollywood star (in my very limited perception) and is the only modern star I can name. The only other Bollywood star names I know by heart are very old stars such as Raj Kapoor, Dilip Kumar, Nargis, Shashi Kapoor, Rajendra Kumar, Amitabh Bacchaan etc. most of them probably not with us anymore.
evilzadi wrote:
TheyCallMeMrGlass wrote:.. One was a really good film about a cricket match bet between the British Raj and the poor locals of an Indian Village who havent a clue how to play the game but is forced to try and beat the British team to win their freedom (or was it money? cant remember) but being a cricket fan I loved this one and it didnt have Sharukh Khan in it, lol...
I think you're talking about Lagaan. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0169102/
I've watched it a couple of times, it's very good.
Yeah, that's definitely the one! Thanks EZ o/ I see its got a high IMDB percentage too.
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#15 Post by anakin » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:35 pm

TheyCallMeMrGlass wrote:
anakin wrote: DDLJ. You must have seen this? [Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, or something like that]. EVERYONE saw this. Even I saw it in the cinema.
:oops: ...I better add this to my Lovefilm priority queue then! Thanks for the other recommendations. I tried to find Aradhna. I found this, Aradhana, is it this one?
http://www.lovefilm.com/film/Aradhana/54865/
Yes that's the one! Having watched it as an adult I do find it super cheesy, but it's very special to me. I hope you enjoy it!
DDLJ is cheesy too, but in a different way. It also touches upon Bollywood's love of singing on mountains, which can never be bad! :D
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

Ms Thrifty

#16 Post by Ms Thrifty » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:43 pm

Well done, Mr G! Lots to say but first and foremost, SRK rules! (Even though he is almost jailbait to me.)

Ms Thrifty

#17 Post by Ms Thrifty » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:41 pm

Kahaani was great and well worth seeing. Two hours plus of suspense, action, humour, mystery, romance - you name it. And I didn't see the final twist coming.

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en

#18 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:23 am

yay glad you got to see it, Ms Thrifty.

well my first bollywood disk from lovefilm is dispatched. Main piya kiya.

Ive missed Agent Vinod in cinema though as its off the cineworld screens from tomorrow. Will try to catch "3" which is still on showing next week.

Ms Thrifty

#19 Post by Ms Thrifty » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:09 am

Hope you enjoy the DVD, Mr G and looking forward to your review of 3 if you do get to see it.

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en

#20 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:18 pm

Oh dear, I'm afraid I didnt enjoy Main piya kiya :( Sorry! The acting is so over the top and when the comic relief character came on it become totally unbearable. eek I hope my next one is marginally more enjoyable.