Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

Chat about anything
funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

Re: Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

#3891 Post by funthing29 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 am

I didn't collect the tickets as c_t very kindly did that (thanks, c_t! :kiss: ) but I thought the show was weak.

The vocals were good, but the story wasn't very coherent and the acting and accents were dreadful!
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

RickyRaj
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Road, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street, Holloway, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.
I haven't got tickets for: Any

#3892 Post by RickyRaj » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:40 am

kwaiting wrote:Has anyone been to The Vocal Orchestra at Udderbelly? I just wonder where to collect the tickets... in the jubilee gardens of udderbelly box office or the box office of royal southbank centre (Royal festival hall)?

I saw this last night and it was great. Original and very entertaining. Go see it!
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Rd, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Ave, Odeon Panton St, Holloway Rd, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#3893 Post by canadian_turtle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:54 am

raineylb wrote:Did anyone go to Soul Sister last night? Just wondering what ticket collection etc was like?
It was a bit of a mess really. Went to the box office in the Cafe around 6.20pm but couldn't pick up tickets yet as I was waiting for someone else so we could pick them up together and sit together. The box office lady knew this (as I told her) yet she didn't tell me she was telling everyone to queue up outside for the main box office as she was running out of printed tickets (there were plenty, just at the other box office which didn't open until 6.45pm). So by the time I could pick up tickets she said she didn't have enough left and we had to queue outside, by which point a fairly big queue of people had already been formed, all of which arrived after me.

Having said that, there were plenty of tickets and the seats were good (we were in row J of the Stalls). I was just a bit annoyed she let me hanging around the cafe when I could've been queuing up/starting the queue.

As for the show: The music is not my thing AT ALL but I quite liked the story (bad accents, wigs, acting and all). However, some people got way into it; boohing, gasping loudly, and even standing up dancing during a few numbers at the start of the second act like it was some sort of concert. I thought they were just being annoying...

But if you like the music I'm sure you'll have a great time despite all the show's flaws. Most of the vocals were pretty good.

6.5/10

Best part of the night was the guy behind us who had a hilariously odd laugh which in turn had us in stitches.
Last edited by canadian_turtle on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

kwaiting

#3894 Post by kwaiting » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks for the reply, that save me going around to collect the tickets! Yes, i'm very looking forward to it and i'm going tomorrow!
superhero wrote:Jubilee Gardens. There's going to be quite a few free tickets this year there, as after Udderbelly, they have Wonderland there until September.
kwaiting wrote:Has anyone been to The Vocal Orchestra at Udderbelly? I just wonder where to collect the tickets... in the jubilee gardens of udderbelly box office or the box office of royal southbank centre (Royal festival hall)?

Rainey
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Torquay, Paignton, Exeter, Plymouth

#3895 Post by Rainey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:10 am

canadian_turtle wrote:
raineylb wrote:Did anyone go to Soul Sister last night? Just wondering what ticket collection etc was like?
It was a bit of a mess really. Went to the box office in the Cafe around 6.20pm but couldn't pick up tickets yet as I was waiting for someone else so we could pick them up together and sit together. The box office lady knew this (as I told her) yet she didn't tell me she was telling everyone to queue up outside for the main box office as she was running out of printed tickets (there were plenty, just at the other box office which didn't open until 6.45pm). So by the time I could pick up tickets she said she didn't have enough left and we had to queue outside, by which point a fairly big queue of people had already been formed, all of which arrived after me.

Having said that, there were plenty of tickets and the seats were good (we were in row J of the Stalls). I was just a bit annoyed she let me hanging around the cafe when I could've been queuing up/starting the queue.

As for the show: The music is not my thing AT ALL but I quite liked the story (bad accents, wigs, acting and all). However, some people got way into it; boohing, gasping loudly, and even standing up dancing during a few numbers at the start of the second act like it was some sort of concert. I thought they were just being annoying...

But if you like the music I'm sure you'll have a got time despite all the show's flaws. Most of the vocals were pretty good.

6.5/10

Best part of the night was the guy behind us who had a hilariously odd laugh which in turn had us in stitches.
Thanks, I do really like the music, my mum is a huge fan of TT so it was always on when I was growing up, I love the film of her life too, so hopefully we'll enjoy if only for the music.

Wondered what age you thought this was suitable for? Was going to take the kids, like to take them to as many shows etc as possible and give them as many different experiences as I can, but I just noticed on the website it say's suitable for age 11+ and they are just slightly younger than that, will get a babysitter if really not advisable to take them.....poor things are desperate to see RoA, they know the music, know how much I love the show but I wouldn't take them to that for obvious reasons.
Preferred Cinema's now Paignton or Exeter!

canadian_turtle
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Wood Green, Islington, West End/Soho, Camden, Holloway, Hackney

#3896 Post by canadian_turtle » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:13 am

They don't dress like in Rock of Ages (though some of the "dresses" more look like tshirts to me) but there's a fair amount of swearing (incl. f-word) and of course the physical abuse from Ike (which I am sure you're aware of as a fan of the music/singer) and drug abuse (ie. snorting coke).

ROA is suggested for 15+ audiences if that helps any. So a 11+ suggestion definitely means this is suited for younger audiences than ROA is.
Last edited by canadian_turtle on Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
:star: www.pagetostagereviews.com :star:

Cinemas in order of preference: West End/Central London, Wood Green, Islington, Finchley Road
• (32/2014, 81/2013, 95/2012, 76/2011)

Celini
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Any central London locations, Islington, Holloway (plus Hackney, Clapham and Greenwich on weekends)

#3897 Post by Celini » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:14 am

Thinking about this guy and his piglet laugh gets me going this morning again! That was definitely the highlight of the first act -don't judge me, I left at the interval-.
I guess the musical numbers were alright but the actors just could not play and did not have any kind of charm or charisma, the staging was extremely poor and relied on people reading what's projected behind the actors... and the script, oh dear the script :roll:
My 2014 Unlimited Films: 11/100

funthing29
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Hampstead, Belsize Park, West End, Islington, Holloway, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, North Finchley, Hackney, Stratford, 02 + (last resort) Watford & Hatfield

#3898 Post by funthing29 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:24 am

Rainey, don't take your kids to Soul Sister!

There is lots of swearing and scenes that they may be find disturbing.
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
Ken Olson - Chairman of Digital Equipment Corporation, speaking in 1977

Member No. 29 of the "100 free films in 2016" club: 62 seen; 38 to go (40 theatre/shows seen)

70 free films seen in 2015 + 85 theatre/shows
84 free films seen in 2014 (81 different films, 3 repeat viewings) + 119 theatre/shows
126 free films seen in 2013 (121 different films, 5 repeat viewings
121 free films seen in 2012 (115 different films, 6 repeat viewings)
129 free films seen in 2011 (117 different films, 12 repeat viewings)

Rainey
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Torquay, Paignton, Exeter, Plymouth

#3899 Post by Rainey » Thu Apr 19, 2012 10:26 am

funthing29 wrote:Rainey, don't take your kids to Soul Sister!

Is it that bad? They are advertising to schools!
Preferred Cinema's now Paignton or Exeter!

ZoeBanfield
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Greenwich, West India Quay, Surrey Quays, Central London (Haymarket/West End/Covent Garden etc)

#3900 Post by ZoeBanfield » Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:01 am

funthing29 wrote:Rainey, don't take your kids to Soul Sister!

Is it a good show though, despite the swearing?