Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

Chat about anything
Ms Thrifty

Re: Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

#5051 Post by Ms Thrifty » Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:30 pm

Not quite a free ticket (though judging by the attendance, there may soon be some) so stretching a point, but at tonight's performance of Bully Boy at the new St James Theatre I not only received a free drink (which I was expecting as you qualify for this when booking - anything from a soft drink to champagne!) but a surprise seat upgrade. What a great way to appeal to a new audience!

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#5052 Post by anakin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:05 pm

jojojoanne wrote:
anakin wrote:Went to Crazy Horse last night. Wasn't quite what I was expecting... very glad to have gone for free when we were going to p*y anyway!

Tips if anyone does go. I got there at 7pm to pick up tickets for the 9pm show and they had Platinum tickets available - but they were really insistent on ID. I was picking up tickets for a few of us, so this proved to be difficult, and by the time there were enough of us to deal with this, we only got Gold which was still great I guess (all tickets available were seated). However, it's unallocated seating so there was a huge queue to go in and we got seats with slightly restricted view. Was fine though. But for best seats, get there early and queue early!

Keith Lemon, Kelly Brook and Professor Green were there too (in the Platinum section of course)!!

I thought the SFF tickets would be 'bar-standing', so that's good. Why wasn't it what you were expecting? Is it 'saucy' dancing with skimpy outfits?!! Also, how long is the Show? Is there an interval? And is it where 'Udderbelly' was? Soooooooooooo many questions!!! That should keep you busy for a while!!!
Yes, I was worried they'd be standing tickets too, so was pleased to find they were not! I didn't go to Udderbelly, so no idea where that was, but it's behing the National Theatre if you're looking at the NT from the river. Does that help? It's nice and warm in there, given it's a fancy tent. It was 90 minutes, plus a 20 minue interval, so just under 2 hours. It's not the sauciness that wasn't what I was expecting, more that I was expecting it to be better than it was. My honest opinion: [spoiler]it's ok, but a bit dull after a while. They women have PHENOMENAL bodies and they are compeltely naked much of the time (none if it is overly dodgy in the sense that it's not rude (if you know what I mean) but you can see upstairs and downstairs!) Perhaps not surprising that the boys in our group thought it better than the girls did! I think I just expected it to be more about dance than about being starkers. I'm glad I went as I@ve not been to anything like it before, but am also glad not to have had to p*y for it...[/spoiler]

Hope that helps! :D
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#5053 Post by anakin » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:10 pm

Having read the Independent review, I think it's pretty spot on. I even agree with the 'favourite number'!

There were small groups of blokes though, which was quite gross and three girls sat in front of us left before it finished...
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

jojojoanne
Se7en
Se7en

#5054 Post by jojojoanne » Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:25 pm

anakin wrote:
jojojoanne wrote:
anakin wrote:Went to Crazy Horse last night. Wasn't quite what I was expecting... very glad to have gone for free when we were going to p*y anyway!

Tips if anyone does go. I got there at 7pm to pick up tickets for the 9pm show and they had Platinum tickets available - but they were really insistent on ID. I was picking up tickets for a few of us, so this proved to be difficult, and by the time there were enough of us to deal with this, we only got Gold which was still great I guess (all tickets available were seated). However, it's unallocated seating so there was a huge queue to go in and we got seats with slightly restricted view. Was fine though. But for best seats, get there early and queue early!

Keith Lemon, Kelly Brook and Professor Green were there too (in the Platinum section of course)!!

I thought the SFF tickets would be 'bar-standing', so that's good. Why wasn't it what you were expecting? Is it 'saucy' dancing with skimpy outfits?!! Also, how long is the Show? Is there an interval? And is it where 'Udderbelly' was? Soooooooooooo many questions!!! That should keep you busy for a while!!!
Yes, I was worried they'd be standing tickets too, so was pleased to find they were not! I didn't go to Udderbelly, so no idea where that was, but it's behing the National Theatre if you're looking at the NT from the river. Does that help? It's nice and warm in there, given it's a fancy tent. It was 90 minutes, plus a 20 minue interval, so just under 2 hours. It's not the sauciness that wasn't what I was expecting, more that I was expecting it to be better than it was. My honest opinion: [spoiler]it's ok, but a bit dull after a while. They women have PHENOMENAL bodies and they are compeltely naked much of the time (none if it is overly dodgy in the sense that it's not rude (if you know what I mean) but you can see upstairs and downstairs!) Perhaps not surprising that the boys in our group thought it better than the girls did! I think I just expected it to be more about dance than about being starkers. I'm glad I went as I@ve not been to anything like it before, but am also glad not to have had to p*y for it...[/spoiler]

Hope that helps! :D

That helps a lot, anakin, thank you!! I especially liked your 'upstairs and downstairs' reference!! I agree with you, I wouldn't p*y to go and see it, but wouldn't mind checking it out!! And the Southbank is very easy for me to get to. I thought it probably was a lot of 'posing' rather than dancing!! I imagine it would get a bit boring after a while, although the fellas would probs disagree!!

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

#5055 Post by Diane65 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:21 pm

Just been to watch Jesus Christ Superstar at the Manchester Arena - It was brilliant, I hadn't read up on it before I went and it is a very modern day adaptation which took me about 10 minutes to get into it after which it just got better and better.
I went in at 5.30pm with akh43 to collect the tickets so we got really good seats (I even had time to come home before the show to have dinner), then we went in with steve, his son and my daughter (the younger one). We shared our chocolate which was a pressie off ejwrank and even Betty Botter who was on the back row had some(she came down to find us in the interval which was lovely) - so they all say thank you to you.

steve
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#5056 Post by steve » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:01 am

What Diane said. I would also like to thank AK for taking my son and myself on her ticket, Diane for driving (and not getting us lost) Sarah for her company and ejwrank for the chocolate.

Betty Botter
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre, Lowry, The Printworks, Gt Northern, Didsbury, Belle Vue, Altrincham

#5057 Post by Betty Botter » Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:15 am

Just back from seeing Jesus Christ Superstar at the Manchester Arena and have to say how much we really enjoyed it. Loved Ben Forster (Jesus), Tim Minchin (Judas) and Mel C (Mary Magdalene) especially when she sang “I Don't Know How To Love Him”. It was lovely to see Diane65, akh43 and steve during the interval and thanks to ejwrank for the chocolate. Also met jordsmum for the first time this evening who kindly gave us the tickets – hope you had a safe journey home.
:popcorn: Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2023" club. 12 seen 88 to go :cheer:

o/ Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2022" club. 80 seen o/
o/ Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2021" club. 25 seen o/
o/ Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 19 seen o/
o/ Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 100 seen o/
o/ Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 58 seen o/
o/ Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 56 seen o/
o/ Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 85 seen o/
o/ Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 101 seen o/
o/ Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 102 seen o/
o/ Member No. 4 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 102 seen o/
o/ 2012 - 83 seen! o/
o/ 2011 - 53 seen! o/

akh43
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre, Lowry, Didsbury, Showcase, Printworks, Stockport

#5058 Post by akh43 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:21 am

I really enjoyed JCS as well, rare we have tickets in Manchester so a nice surprise to get tickets for this on Saturday. Judas was my favourite character I thought he was brilliant, other characters were very good also, not sure what to expect as I had not really read anything about this before going. Good seats, good company, chocolate from ejwrank and thanks to Diane for taking us all in her car, what more can you ask for.
Member 53 of the "100 free films in 2024" - 13 seen - 87 to go - 2 booked :cross:
Hopefully this year we will get more free Manchester screenings :cross: as they are rare as hen's teeth nowadays :tears:
Hoping to beat my 2023 total of 31 :cross:

Want to see in 2024:
Planet of the Apes, Quiet Place 3, Despicable me 4, Deadpool 3

2020, 21, 22, 23 & 24 seen list viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36971#p406224[/color]

Cinemas in order of preference: Lowry, Trafford Centre, Great Northern (AMC), Printworks, Didsbury

2011- 69 films seen
2012- nearly made it my total was 90 + 3 theatre, 1 concert
2013 - 107 + 4 concerts 2
2014 - 95 - almost there
2015 - 97 - almost there again
2016 - 95
2017 - 87
2018 - 66
2019 - 77
2020 - 17
2021 - 30
2022 - 70
2023 - 31
2024 - 12

jordsmum
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Preferred Cinemas: Odeon Switch Island, L'pool 1, Cineworld Liverpool, Vue Southport, FACT Picturehouse L'pool
I have tickets for: Whiplash

#5059 Post by jordsmum » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:25 am

Jesus Christ Superstar at the Manchester Arena way exceeded my expectations last night. I went along so wanting it to be good after reading some pretty mixed reviews, and I was not dissapointed. They so deserved that standing ovation at the end. Ben Forster's rendition of Gethsemane was amazing. I had goosebumps. Fabulous performance from Mel C too. she really has a lovely voice. But for me the outstanding performance of the night had to be by Tim Minchin. He was brilliant as Judas! Looks like they've sorted the sound out too as it was not too loud, although had come prepared with son's earplugs just incase. Wished the arena had sorted out the heat though. It was far too hot and we were in lower tier seats. Would happily see it again.

Lovely to meet up with Betty Botter and her family, sad that I missed seeing everyone else this time.
Member No. 52 of the 100 free films in 2014 club 45 seen/55 to go.
Member No. 52 of the 100 free films in 2013 club. 70 seen.
Member No. 52 of the 100 free films in 2012 club. 76 seen.
Member No. 52 of the 100 free films in 2011 club. 75 seen.

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

#5060 Post by Diane65 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:29 am

jordsmum wrote:Jesus Christ Superstar at the Manchester Arena way exceeded my expectations last night. I went along so wanting it to be good after reading some pretty mixed reviews, and I was not dissapointed. They so deserved that standing ovation at the end. Ben Forster's rendition of Gethsemane was amazing. I had goosebumps. Fabulous performance from Mel C too. she really has a lovely voice. But for me the outstanding performance of the night had to be by Tim Minchin. He was brilliant as Judas! Looks like they've sorted the sound out too as it was not too loud, although had come prepared with son's earplugs just incase. Wished the arena had sorted out the heat though. It was far too hot and we were in lower tier seats. Would happily see it again.

Lovely to meet up with Betty Botter and her family, sad that I missed seeing everyone else this time.
Sorry we missed you too - I agree re heat and as its normally cold there I wore a nice warm dress, warm tights and boots plus a warm coat which was the only thing I could take off (so was snug as a very hot bug).