Discuss movies (including free films)
pcRock
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Croydon

Re: The Blind Side

#41 Post by pcRock » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:21 pm

I was really surprised at how many people were turned away. A lot of overbooking.
It was my first time at this cinema. I really enjoyed the seats. Very comfy.

My oh and I really enjoyed the film. I agree that American football is most likely of no interest to European (I have no idea about the rules) but the story was good, especially because it's based on a true story. I thought Sandra Bullock's performance was great. 8/10

Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 8 seen
Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 18 seen
Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 30 seen
Member No. 65 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 24 seen
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 43 seen
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2010" club. 54 seen

TheBoySeggy
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#42 Post by TheBoySeggy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:53 am

I really enjoyed it. The fact that I'm a big American Football fan & know about the player helped, but I think it appeals to everyone.

I'm no Sandra Bullock fan, but I thought she was excellent in the film, and how about the kid "SJ"... there's a future agent in the making - how about his contract negotiating skills!

8/10

anakin
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Central London, please

#43 Post by anakin » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:02 pm

Not as many reviews for this as I'd have expected. I saw this last night at the Apollo which I'd not been to before - hope there are more screenings here as it was like sitting on a sofa! Luckily we arrived early and managed to snag good seats, towards the middle about half way up/down. I did feel sorry for the people that were forced to leave, but wasn't surprised it was over booked, if only because of the comments about the cinema. I did notice a woman with a "Hello!" clipboard and wondered if they had advertised a screening on top of the one that was emailed out.

Anyway, the film. Loved it. Was gripped throughout and liked that it felt like real life (it's a true story) with the ups and downs, the laughs and the awkward moments. A lot of laughs, which was necessary I thought, given the problem at the root of the story. My friend said she cried throughout the film, and it nearly got me at the end, but it certainly moved me.

Loved SJ too, don_datta, and could hardly watch [spoiler]as we got to the crash - saw that coming and was cringing! It reminded me of an Erin Brockovich type of film.[/spoiler] Thought the casting was good, in particular Michael himself - very much like the real Michael (obviously had to be for this character). They were quite kind to Sean!

Would definitely recommend it, and would like to see it again. May even b*y the DVD. 9/10.
"Oh, sweetheart, you don't need law school. Law school is for people who are boring and ugly and serious. And you, button, are none of those things." - Legally Blonde

Preferred cinemas: Most Central London, Finchley Road, Swiss Cottage, Islington, Holloway and West India Quay, Greenwich (O2 / Odeon only) or Stratford City if there is nothing else!

Seen free in 2012: Jan: Margin Call; J. Edgar; Like Crazy; Carnage; Young Adult. Feb: The Muppets; The Best Extotic Marigold Hotel; Safe House; Project X; Beginners. March: 21 Jump Street; We b*ght a Zoo; Wild Bill; John Carter; Wanderlust; Street Dance 2;The Hunger Games; [The King's Speech]. Apr: The Hunger Games; Battleship; Salmon Fishing in the Yemen. May: What To Expect When You're Expecting; MIB3. June: [We Will Rock You] July: Ted; Seeking a Friend for the End of the World; The Dark Knight Rises; Brave. Aug: The Bourne Legacy. Sept: Lawless

priamia
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Old post count: 455
Preferred Cinemas: All Central London: Check full list of cinemas in my interests
I have tickets for: Everybody's Fine/Lovely Bones, The Wolfman, Kick Ass,

#44 Post by priamia » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:08 pm

I was there last night too. I was sitting near the front with a friend of mine (bf declined the film, which was better for him as 'emotional' isn't something he's interested in watching). Like anakin and Beate said there were many people there and I managed to find out that some were there as part of the 'Hello' screening - some having their pic taken (possibly to go in the mag??), I nearly got blinded by the flash!! Before the movie, I spoke to one lady with a Hello clipboard as I was curious what was going on, she told me that they were there for the screening, and some others were there from radio(?). They didn't seem to know about SFF. Good thing we were early! Once they opened the doors to the screen and let everyone in, there were no seats left (apart from one directly behind me) and had to turn away a large group of people, who had already purchased popcorn and drinks.

The film - I enjoyed and would happily see again. Made me and my friend cry about 4 times at different occasions! Agree with Beate, that Sandra B's performance was good, but not Oscar worthy (preferred Mo'nique's performance in 'Precious'). Was really moved by the actor who played Michael. Good balance of tears and humour and thankfully not thoroughly an American Football film. Liked the pics at the end of the real family and Michael too.

9/10
Preferred cinemas: All Central London: APOLLO Piccadilly, EMPIRE Leicester Sq; ODEONS: Leicester Sq/Covent Garden/West End/Whiteleys/Panton St; VUE: West End/Fulham/Islington, CINEWORLD: Haymarket/Shaftesbury Ave; Brixton Ritzy,
Then: Westfield, o2, Clapham

hdaniel82
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Brighton - Odeon or Cineworld

#45 Post by hdaniel82 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:35 am

I am going to release 4 tickets for Greenwich back into the pool this morning, and I realise I have ballet tickets for 1st March which I forgot to put into my phone diary! Damnit I really wanted to see this on the big screen (for free!).

Edit: hurrah I now have tickets for 7th March thanks to steve9872's code!
Last edited by hdaniel82 on Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Preferred cinemas:
Weekdays: Central London (all West End), West India Quay, Greenwich O2, Vue Islington
Weekends: Greenwich (O2, Odeon, PH), Vue Stratford City, Stratford PH

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#46 Post by Beate » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:38 pm

Blimey, those new codes for Sunday are for absolutely everywhere! Haven't seen a code for Vue Dagenham for years I think!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

EthanRunt
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#47 Post by EthanRunt » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:32 am

I know I'm gonna hate this film, but I'll have a nap in between watching it and the Oscars, though I'll hate the Oscars too... Tough Sunday.

hdaniel82
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Brighton - Odeon or Cineworld

#48 Post by hdaniel82 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:15 am

Beate wrote:Blimey, those new codes for Sunday are for absolutely everywhere! Haven't seen a code for Vue Dagenham for years I think!
OMG and now more for Monday!! They are desperate for us to see this! Bring it ON!
Preferred cinemas:
Weekdays: Central London (all West End), West India Quay, Greenwich O2, Vue Islington
Weekends: Greenwich (O2, Odeon, PH), Vue Stratford City, Stratford PH

Beate
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#49 Post by Beate » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:17 am

That was the weekly forecast Totalfilm code, we will get another one next Friday for this screening.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

M&M

#50 Post by M&M » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:54 pm

FYI - I've given some tickets back for the Sky showing at Shepherds Bush on Monday should anyone want to try and grab them :D