Lovelace

Discuss movies (including free films)
pimbs

Re: Lovelace

#21 Post by pimbs » Mon Aug 19, 2013 1:32 pm

I actually really enjoyed this film, I thought the telling of the story from different ways was great, the 1st part being all the glitz and glamour of the success she had, and then the 2nd part being the actual truth about it. I did think Amanda Seyfried was a little too young to play her, but thought she did a sound job. The cameo from James Franco as Hugh Hefner was spot on thought he looked like his son!! However on the whole I would recommend this film its no Boogie Nights but still worth a look.

Cartedorlondon
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

#22 Post by Cartedorlondon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:28 pm

The story itself about Linda's life is a touching complex, very very sad story.
I dont know whats wrong with me, but Lovelace, it had me in tears at the end. I am not usually a crier, but man, its pretty messed up.

The cast consists of quite a few very famous A-lister.
Amanda was brilliant in it, the credit has to go to hair and make up and costumes.
Sharon Stone, wow, she was quite a transformation from her usual flawless beauty and grace in her "old age"
There is Big from sex and the city, Terminator, Seth from the OC.

I like the story, was surprise with Amanda going topless in many scenes as I thought she said she didnt want to show too much.
she has very lovely figure! :)

RAZORBACK
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Enfield, Lee Valley, Wood Green, North Finchley, Hackney, Hatfield, West India Quay & Greenwich

#23 Post by RAZORBACK » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:15 pm

Thought this was good rather than great, it suffered from having a made for tv vibe and much of the violence was (as some others have said) very much glossed over.

That said, I did think the final twenty minutes or so were quite effective so overall it deserves a 7/10 from me...
Free Films Seen (2015) - 30 including Big Hero 6, Birdman, Enemy, Ex Machina, It Follows, Kingsman: The Secret Service, Selma, The Gambler, Two Night Stand, Unbroken, Whiplash & Wild.

Free Films Seen (2014) - 400

Free Films Seen (2013) - 200

On The Horizon: Focus & Project Almanac.

Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2015' club (30 seen, 70 to go)
Member 26 of the '100 free films in 2014' club (100+ seen, 0 to go)

fetta
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Gate, Odeon Whiteleys, Vue Westfield, Vue Shepherds Bush, The Lexi or any of the West End Cinemas or Kings Road/Fulham Rd/Finchley/Swiss Cottage, oh well any London cinema really, I am not picky :)

#24 Post by fetta » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:19 am

I can't say I am a fun of this film as I believe its just sensaitionalised Lindas story. As a couple of other fmukers I couldn't empathise with Linda. I remember reading all about her claims when she passed away in 2002, but we shouldn't forget that the 70s where very revolutionary years with feminism blossoming. I was born in the 70s and to me they certanly don't seem that far away nor that backward. I've also had the privilege (or not) of growing up in a very matriarchal family and could recognise that that was the family that Lynda grew up in, her dad seemed a kind person without much say in the family affairs. I can say for myself having a dad and grandad like that, makes you very intolerant towards the sligtest manifestation of controlling or god forbid violente behaviour. All human beings have a threshold beyond wich they can't carry on and seek help, well hers was preaty out there by any standards
OK she didn't have the support of her mum but she didn't even make an effort to ask for it properly ... like lets see... maybe shearing some of her torment with her would've yielded a different reaction
So overall I think the film tried to made us feel sorry for Lovelace and seemed to have succeeded judging by the majority of the posts, but to me it just didn't ring true.
6/10 for Sharon Stone and James Franco - both absolutely brilliant!
Preferred Cinemas: Gate, Coronet, Odeon Kensington, Whiteleys, Vue Westfield, Shepherds Bush, The Lexi or any West End Cinema

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#25 Post by alythonian » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:44 pm

I thought this was terminally dull. I really don't like Amanda Seyfried and this didn't do anything to improve my opinion of her acting skills. She lacked emotion and the gravitas of the role seemed to pass her by. Adam Brody was good in his role and believable.
I think the hard part of the story was the part that ended up on the cutting room floor. An hour and 25 was very short but for this poor adaptation it was enough.
Alythonian

LondonCityNights
Phase IV
Phase IV

#26 Post by LondonCityNights » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Finally got my review up!

http://www.londoncitynights.com/2013/08 ... stein.html

I liked it. The semen/oysters edit gag especially was funny in a very cruel way. But at a shade of 93 minutes it's a bit of a slight film. Still, as an exploration of the transformation of a person into a commodity it's hard to fault it.

3/5*
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2014" club 122 seen 8O
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" club 100 seen :sunglasses:
http://www.londoncitynights.com - in depth film (and theatre, art, music etc) reviews.

stuartboy
Se7en
Se7en

#27 Post by stuartboy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 am

Found this a bit bland (despite the garish 70's colours, clothes and wallpaper!) Obviously I wasn't expecting anything explicit in the way of the real movie that they were seen making though, but apart from the odd dildo and blow-up doll there was nothing that really stopped this being a pre-watershed TV movie. I think it needed to be a bit seedier (without needing to be more graphic). Everything just seemed too clean. Even the cars and the houses all looked just out of the box. For me it lacked any realism.
I thought Hugh Heffner was old. James Franco looked younger than Traynor in this. I also agree that although Amanda S played the young Lovelace well, she didn't convincingly pull off the older lady.
It did seem that major chunks were missing too. I wonder why they felt the need to cut so much. Perhaps it had infringed on copyright too much.

Glad I used a voucher. Would have felt cheated if I'd pa*d. Was interesting none-the-less.

5/10
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 20 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2016" club. 93 different films seen.
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 132 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2014" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2013" club. 125 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 128 different films seen
Member No. 49 of the "100 free films in 2011" club. 120 different films seen

Cineworld Unlimited is cheating! ;-)

Sometimes I sits and thinks....and sometimes I just sits.

Livi92
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Vue Islington, Covent Garden Odeon, Tott Court Rd Odeon, Haymarket, Shaftesbury Avenue
I have tickets for: Star trek, The Liability

#28 Post by Livi92 » Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:22 pm

Finally got round to seeing this film earlier tonight. A strangely compelling tale, which at times was extremely uncomfortable to watch due to the subject matter. I liked how the film was showed both sides of story and allowed me to formulate my own opinion.

Didn't realise Sharon stone was in it, until I read the reviews on here, she was completely unrecognisable.

Very thought provoking film and for me gets a 7/10
Member No.59 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 42 films seen, 58 to go

Cinemas in order of preference: Islington, Hackney, Holloway, Covent Garden, West End, Shaftesbury Avenue, Soho, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, O2, Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Shepherd's Bush, Whiteleys, Notting Hill Stratford