Gravity

Discuss movies (including free films)
Livi92
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Vue Islington, Covent Garden Odeon, Tott Court Rd Odeon, Haymarket, Shaftesbury Avenue
I have tickets for: Star trek, The Liability

Re: Gravity

#141 Post by Livi92 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:14 pm

spyzapper25 wrote:Saw this today in IMAX 3D, which i believe is the only way to experience this film properly. As far as the film goes as a whole, it is definitely a huge technological achievement! The special effects in this film are just out of this world and unlike anything i have ever seen before. I think that this film fully deserves the acclaim that it is getting as for me it was just incredible and maybe the film of the year. The soundtrack is also top notch in this film and really does help to make it the 3D experience that it was made to be.

For me i think that you will either love or hate this film, there is no in between. The script was good with some funny moments but really you go and watch this film for the experience, and for that it fully delivers!

Both actors gave standout performances but for me if you are going to watch this film try your hardest to see it in IMAX 3D, the film demands it and is worth every penny!

9/10
Couldn't agree more. I would be very surprised if this film doesn't win a few oscars.
Member No.59 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 42 films seen, 58 to go

Cinemas in order of preference: Islington, Hackney, Holloway, Covent Garden, West End, Shaftesbury Avenue, Soho, Piccadilly Circus, Leicester Square, O2, Swiss Cottage, Finchley Road, Shepherd's Bush, Whiteleys, Notting Hill Stratford

LondonCityNights
Phase IV
Phase IV

#142 Post by LondonCityNights » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:34 pm

BrotherLehman wrote:
LondonCityNights wrote:The more I think about this film the more I absolutely LOVE it. The most amazing cinematic experience I've had in years.

Here's my full write-up, love to know what you guys think of it:

http://www.londoncitynights.com/2013/10 ... uaron.html

5/5*

Give it all the awards.

Wow your review is amazing - I didn't consciously register all the subtle imagery portrayed in the movie until I read your review!
Thanks!
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2014" club 122 seen 8O
Member No. 18 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" club 100 seen :sunglasses:
http://www.londoncitynights.com - in depth film (and theatre, art, music etc) reviews.

TheyCallMeMrGlass
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Any London cinema, mainly central or south London.

#143 Post by TheyCallMeMrGlass » Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:35 pm

Caught this at Wimbledon Imax at 11:30pm on Saturday night because every other blasted show everywhere else was sold out! I didnt realise this was going to be so popular!

Good thing about going to see a film like this in an ungodly hour, though or during weekday daytime is you have a smaller crowd and are generally quiet. Thankfully my audience respected the film the second it began because this film demands utmost silence from the audience, there are a lot of very quiet moments and its important to be immersed in the silence to really feel the gravity in the experience.

Usually 3d always darken and dissipates the vibrancy of the on-screen image but as the film is set in the blackness of space this doesn't play much of a hindrance. Secondly, the 3D accentuates the isolation of our protagonists in space, giving a true sense of loneliness. And then at a certain moment in the film, 3D throws a surprise and made me jump out of the seat.

3D has always been a horrible actor in movies for me. I hate him even more than Mark Kermode does. Only great directors such as Ang Lee and Martin Scorsese have brought out pretty decent performances out of him.

But Alfonso Cuaron has brought out Mr 3D's career best performance for sure. Its the subtle type of performance with bouts of of anger that will truly make you jump out of your seat. Somewhat similar to how Ang Lee directed it in Life of Pi (if you saw that film, you'll know the moment I'm talking about that makes you jump). Cauron uses that same element of surprise, very much like directing Ryan Gosling.

Is it essential? Nope but it would be a shame to miss the experience as it really does add to it and it even hurts to admit it.

The film itself is exquisitely crafted and beautifully shot and is the definition of true cinema. There are moments in the film that reminded me of Alien and other moments, 2001 Space Odyssey. All masterful and this deserves a comparison if not quite reaching their iconic stature. Only time will tell and with further viewings.

But Gravity is of course a film of its own trend setting merits even though its not really as pioneering as the unfortunate over-hype leads us to believe.

Sandra Bullock and George Clooney deliver great performances btw. Well, Clooney slightly hamming it up but he is turning out to be a great re-assuring presence in his middle age years and gives the film a much needed counter weight while Sandra Bullock drives the emotion with a deliberate restraint and understanding of what her character and background is in the context of the film. Beautifully done.

I've mentioned 3 performers so far. Bullock, Clooney and 3D. But there's a fourth performer that elevates the experience more than the 3D. Sound and music. Go ahead and watch it in 2D, because the real true elevating experience in this movie is the masterful use of sound and music...and the lack of it. Making it clear from the beginning of the film for those who are not up to scratch with their GCSE Physics, there is no sound in vacuum so Alfonso cleverly navigates this scientific hurdle...by uh...using a soundtrack! I think he came to the conclusion, that he is making a movie to entertain, so to hell with that rule! And I am glad he did. The soundtrack was in turns thumping and piercingly terrifying but this is contrasted by the moments when Alfonso thought, "lets make it more realistic" and gave us the silence that space is, which is very eerie. Plus, we also get the perspective sound from inside the helmet for most of the movie. Its a great mix. Alfonso ensures that perspectives and dynamics changes to keep us engaged. Its masterful direction of art and science.

Then of course there is the 5th and final performer, the visuals. Simply breathtaking. I am yet to see this in 2D and I will do so again today in fact because I strongly suspect you dont need the 3D to enjoy the visual immersion of this film. I'll know later.

Anyone of you not seen this yet and pndering about it, dont ponder, even if you end up not liking it, just go see this movie but do lower your expectations as I think the hype is too stratospheric, I cant really tell if it is the movie of the ages but its certainly a movie not to be missed in the cinema. It is an experience.

9/10
My film reviews here . ......My FMUK 2014 ratings.......My FMUK 2011 ratings.......My FMUK 2013 ratings . ......My FMUK 2012 ratings .

Do you have a VR headset? If so, maybe we can play a physical sports game or even be sports/fitness partners, hit me up if you keen.
PSN: TheyCallMeTej, Oculus: TheyCallMeTJ

Pchibber1

#144 Post by Pchibber1 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:25 am

The cinema trips have fallen away recently since becoming parents to triplets but I think I may make an excpetion for this one given the enthused reviews on this site - thanks guys.

akh43
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre, Lowry, Didsbury, Showcase, Printworks, Stockport

#145 Post by akh43 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:46 pm

samelliot2 wrote:Did anybody else get motion sickness from it? Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed the film, but I had to lie down for a few hours after while the room spun around me as if I were drunk.
A friend of mine got motion sickness from the film, she was telling me yesterday, I couldnt believe it, though she can be a bit squeamish (once fainted during an eye test) :roll:
Member 53 of the "100 free films in 2024" - 9 seen - 91 to go - 0 booked :cross:
Hopefully this year we will get more free Manchester screenings :cross: as they are rare as hen's teeth nowadays :tears:
Hoping to beat my 2023 total of 31 :cross:

Want to see in 2024:
Ghostbusters, Planet of the Apes, Quiet Place 3, Despicable me 4, Deadpool 3

2020, 21, 22, 23 & 24 seen list viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36971#p406224[/color]

Cinemas in order of preference: Lowry, Trafford Centre, Great Northern (AMC), Printworks, Didsbury

2011- 69 films seen
2012- nearly made it my total was 90 + 3 theatre, 1 concert
2013 - 107 + 4 concerts 2
2014 - 95 - almost there
2015 - 97 - almost there again
2016 - 95
2017 - 87
2018 - 66
2019 - 77
2020 - 17
2021 - 30
2022 - 70
2023 - 31
2024 - 9

snowman2k
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#146 Post by snowman2k » Wed Nov 13, 2013 6:36 am

Best film this year easily and the first 3D film that's worth watching in 3D.

endorphin

#147 Post by endorphin » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:56 am

Easily one of the best films I have seen this year - 8/10

The visuals are simply stunning and the film needs to be seen in 3D (never thought I would say that). The scenes set outside are astonishing and beautiful. The action relentess and heart stopping, how many times did I flinch from some debris heading straight for me! :D

And let's not forget the music which was inspired and complemented the visuals.

I did have some problems with the 3D mainly ghosting in the peripereal areas and slight dullness but otherwise it was a great deployment of the tech.

The storyline is simple but everything else is spectacular. This film warrants watching on the biggest screen you can find and in 3D (paraphrasing Mark Kermode).

LiteupLee
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Preferred Cinemas: Liverpool,Cheshire Oaks, Manchester
I have tickets for: The radiator

#148 Post by LiteupLee » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:45 pm

I'm in the minority with this one. Thought the 3d, grafics and effects was excellent, but that was it. No storyline to keep me interested and was hoping there may be a pizza delivery guy in the midst to liven things up a bit. 6.5/10
Nobody's perfect!!!
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2017 club.
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2016 club. 50 seen
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2015 club. 35 seen, 65 to go.
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2014 club. 72 seen.
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2013 club. 70 seen.
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2012 club. 69 seen.
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2011 club. 60 seen.
free films in 2010 30 seen.

Redm
Air Force One
Air Force One

#149 Post by Redm » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:37 pm

I'm not usually a fan of 3d films, but WOW! The effects on this film are really incredible. You actually feel like you're in space. My heart was in my mouth for the whole film. Such a different cinematic experience to anything else I've seen at the cinema in recent years. Go see it!

mathew1971
The Third Man
The Third Man

#150 Post by mathew1971 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:13 pm

Watched this in 2D - as had some Sweet Sundays tickets to use and couldnt upgrade to 3D.

Even in 2D the movie was visually stunning the set pieces when the debris hit were superb.

Story etc ok but felt that really the visuals are the movies strong point.

Not quite the 9/10 i had hoped for but a very strong 7.5/10