Discuss movies (including free films)
Sunny Saver
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Islington Vue, Holloway, Central London

Re: Saving Mr Banks

#71 Post by Sunny Saver » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:07 pm

I didn't go to see this last week so that we could go and see this as a four at the Disney screening at Holloway Road, in particular, for aunty. However, aunty then told me she doesn't like 'nicey, nicey' films anymore, she likes ones that are 'bad to the bone' :confused:.

My husband says he's never seen Mary Poppins. What sort of childhood did he have? :confused:.

Anyway, aunty said she didn't like it that much, she said it was too much chat, chat, chat and not enough action. It was about the writer of Mary Poppins, what she expect? Kids being hit over the head with a brolly? But mum, OH and myself enjoyed it. I would have liked more of a sing song and less chat. It was a tad long, could tell when people kept going to the loo.

PL Travers seemed a right misery guts, she reminded me of Enid Blyton, although I'm not sure why Enid B was a miserable git.

I forgot that Tom Hanks was Walt Disney until the credits. He was Walt Disney. My mother said he had to put on two stone to make this film. Emma Thompson could play Mary Poppins too! Colin Farrell was excellent too.

I think, excluding aunty, we'd give it 8/10. She'd probably say 6.

millwall
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: cardiff,swansea,newport

#72 Post by millwall » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Excellent film well worth watching 9/10

ahman
The Third Man
The Third Man

#73 Post by ahman » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:36 pm

Good to know. At last got tickets for the 25th. Looking forward to it.

Rainey
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Torquay, Paignton, Exeter, Plymouth

#74 Post by Rainey » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:41 pm

ilovethatfilm wrote:It's a sweet movie with solid performances but forget a spoonful of sugar, take it with a pinch of salt. Please come check out my full review here: http://ilovethatfilm.blogspot.co.uk/201 ... eview.html
I liked your review but I didn't see Disney as a nice guy, he was as uncompromising in his vision of Mary Poppins & the other characters as Travers was hers, he just wasn't so honest with his thoughts about Travers ideas. I felt in some ways he was portrayed as a bit of a bully, he didn't care to take on board her opinions at all as he had spent 20 years visualing the film his way whilst trying to get the rights, so theirs was never going to be a harmonious union, considering how different the characters in the book are to the film & the story behind them, I can see why she was so defensive, she avoided the film being made for 20 years because she didn't want him to betray her characters & vision, which ultimately he did.
Preferred Cinema's now Paignton or Exeter!

havingascreen
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: edinburgh
I have tickets for: The Social Network
I haven't got tickets for: Narnia

#75 Post by havingascreen » Sun Nov 17, 2013 7:34 pm

i absolutely loved this film, had a bit of everything, fun and frivolity, tears, the family set-up was brilliant and the tension between Mrs T and Mr D and his crew superbly acted......just fantastic. The juxtaposition between uptight Britain and over indulgent USA was well staged. Loved the whole creative vibe of the time when it was set......so different to modern times.

Would agree with the comments about it being a tad too long but don't think he totally betrayed her vision; they came to a compromise in the end no??

9/10 from me and my crew o/

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#76 Post by The Sparrow » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:35 pm

havingascreen wrote:i absolutely loved this film, had a bit of everything, fun and frivolity, tears, the family set-up was brilliant and the tension between Mrs T and Mr D and his crew superbly acted......just fantastic. The juxtaposition between uptight Britain and over indulgent USA was well staged. Loved the whole creative vibe of the time when it was set......so different to modern times.

Would agree with the comments about it being a tad too long but don't think he totally betrayed her vision; they came to a compromise in the end no??

9/10 from me and my crew o/
I don't think he compromised on anything. [spoiler]Dick Van Dyke, the animated scenes and the nonsense songs/words were all included in the film which she hated and is why she refused to allow Disney to touch any more of the Poppins books.[/spoiler]
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

DodoExpress

#77 Post by DodoExpress » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:51 am

Took the family to see this yesterday morning. I quite enjoyed it, solid performances from Hanks & Farrell.

8/10

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#78 Post by prettyxcool » Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:52 am

Sunny Saver wrote:I didn't go to see this last week so that we could go and see this as a four at the Disney screening at Holloway Road, in particular, for aunty. However, aunty then told me she doesn't like 'nicey, nicey' films anymore, she likes ones that are 'bad to the bone' :confused:.

My husband says he's never seen Mary Poppins. What sort of childhood did he have? :confused:.

Anyway, aunty said she didn't like it that much, she said it was too much chat, chat, chat and not enough action. It was about the writer of Mary Poppins, what she expect? Kids being hit over the head with a brolly? But mum, OH and myself enjoyed it. I would have liked more of a sing song and less chat. It was a tad long, could tell when people kept going to the loo.

PL Travers seemed a right misery guts, she reminded me of Enid Blyton, although I'm not sure why Enid B was a miserable git.

I forgot that Tom Hanks was Walt Disney until the credits. He was Walt Disney. My mother said he had to put on two stone to make this film. Emma Thompson could play Mary Poppins too! Colin Farrell was excellent too.

I think, excluding aunty, we'd give it 8/10. She'd probably say 6.
Lovely to catch up with you SS, but did I see a different film from everyone?

I found it dreary and boring - and overlong. Granted that Tom Hanks did a good take of Walt Disney, but found Emma Thompson really grating as the cantankerous author, and when the aunty arrived to "fix everything" it reminded me more of Nanny McPhee than Mary Poppins. The best scenes were with Colin Farrell and his relationship with his cute daughter.

It was a fascinating back story, but I wish there was more magic in it, disappointing. 5/10
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

Sunny Saver
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Islington Vue, Holloway, Central London

#79 Post by Sunny Saver » Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:02 pm

Pxc you and Aunty saw the same film. Told hubby we're going to watch Mary Poppins on Christmas Day :mrgreen:... Aunty will be pleased :oops:.

grays012

#80 Post by grays012 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:03 pm

I went to this film, not expecting great things. After all, it's a documentary.

However, I was entirely wrong - the film was excellent along with the amazing cast. Farrell, Hanks and Thompson did a really good job here.

Rating:10/10