The Third Man
The Third Man
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon, Kingston
I have tickets for: Entourage

Re: Thor: The Dark World

#51 Post by beardy2 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:23 am

My review with Christmas chocolate chip scones: http://wp.me/p2xEEX-1cU

The bad guy was a bit of a nonsensical character, but it was actually a really fun movie.

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#52 Post by prettyxcool » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:56 am

I finally saw this yesterday, and I was not disappointed. I had avoided all reviews as I really wanted to see this.

The tiny Screen 5 with 60 seats at Leicester Square Odeon Mezzanine was packed! I would have liked to have gone to see it at Vue Apollo, but I did not have a voucher for there, so Odeon it had to be, being the only two cinemas in London still showing it. You had to go through Costas to the back of the coffee shop to get to the ticket counter and to the entrance of the cinema, perhaps being New Year's Day and in the middle of Leicester Square, the shop was packed and I had wade through the crowds, but the stairs going up to the screens were very nice, it looks like it has been recently renovated.

Overall really enjoyed this. Fun, lighthearted, lots of action, some bits quite silly really, especially the Asgard army with their knives against laser guns, and a far fetched plot, but loved the special effects, loved the London setting, and I just cannot get enough of Chris Hemsworth! 8/10

Really annoyed that the lights went on as soon as the film finished and before the credits, so had to watch the titles and credits and the scene at the end of the credits in bright light! Everyone left as soon as the lights went up, so they missed the final scene. The seats were comfy though, with head rests and a good slope.
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

caitlinmorton

#53 Post by caitlinmorton » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:25 pm

prettyxcool wrote:I finally saw this yesterday, and I was not disappointed. I had avoided all reviews as I really wanted to see this.

The tiny Screen 5 with 60 seats at Leicester Square Odeon Mezzanine was packed! I would have liked to have gone to see it at Vue Apollo, but I did not have a voucher for there, so Odeon it had to be, being the only two cinemas in London still showing it. You had to go through Costas to the back of the coffee shop to get to the ticket counter and to the entrance of the cinema, perhaps being New Year's Day and in the middle of Leicester Square, the shop was packed and I had wade through the crowds, but the stairs going up to the screens were very nice, it looks like it has been recently renovated.

Overall really enjoyed this. Fun, lighthearted, lots of action, some bits quite silly really, especially the Asgard army with their knives against laser guns, and a far fetched plot, but loved the special effects, loved the London setting, and I just cannot get enough of Chris Hemsworth! 8/10

Really annoyed that the lights went on as soon as the film finished and before the credits, so had to watch the titles and credits and the scene at the end of the credits in bright light! Everyone left as soon as the lights went up, so they missed the final scene. The seats were comfy though, with head rests and a good slope.
Good to know! My friend and I were discussing the Leicester Square Mezzanine the other day, as neither of us had been and we were wondering if it was worth it to go!

Glad you enjoyed the film pxc!

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#54 Post by prettyxcool » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:51 pm

caitlinmorton wrote: Good to know! My friend and I were discussing the Leicester Square Mezzanine the other day, as neither of us had been and we were wondering if it was worth it to go!
Yes, the screen size is a tad on the small size for an epic film like Thor, but bearable, as the screening room is small and there are only about 10 rows of 6, so you are not far from the screen.

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#55 Post by Beate » Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:53 pm

prettyxcool wrote:I would have liked to have gone to see it at Vue Apollo, but I did not have a voucher for there, so Odeon it had to be, being the only two cinemas in London still showing it.
If you have Nectar points you can use them in Vue cinemas:
http://www.nectar.com/spend/vue.points
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2

#56 Post by prettyxcool » Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:08 pm

Beate wrote:
prettyxcool wrote:I would have liked to have gone to see it at Vue Apollo, but I did not have a voucher for there, so Odeon it had to be, being the only two cinemas in London still showing it.
If you have Nectar points you can use them in Vue cinemas:
http://www.nectar.com/spend/vue.points
Yes, thanks, I did look at that option too. I didn't have enough points unfortunately! I used it all up for the Eurostar last summer ( well 2012, two days into 2014 and I can't say last year!), and that took me years to save up as Sainsbury's is not my normal supermarket! :D

2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

RickyRaj
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Road, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Avenue, Odeon Panton Street, Holloway, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.
I haven't got tickets for: Any

#57 Post by RickyRaj » Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:40 pm

Watched on Sky just now (working from home, well supposed to be :bwl:) Pretty good although I'm not much of a Thor fan. Thought it was a bit 'same old' plot to other stories. Not being a hardcore comic fan it was watchable. 7.5/10.
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Cineworld Haymarket, Finchley Rd, Odeon West End, Odeon Leicester Square, Cineworld Shaftesbury Ave, Odeon Panton St, Holloway Rd, West India Quays or anywhere in central London.

KM&M
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Ipswich only

#58 Post by KM&M » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Saw it via dvd this week.
I enjoyed it but not as much as the first film. The first was really about characters first, plot second whereas in The Dark World the focus I felt was on big alien space ships, running around and explosions. To it's detriment.
Felt the first hour dragged.
Loki was a highlight.
Also quite a plot hole involving the rainbow bridge and travel to earth which I can't be bothered to type out lol...
Member #44 (since 2014) of the annual 100 Free Films club.

Free films seen in 2020: 1
1: Free previews

31 films seen via free preview screenings since 2014!

Beate
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#59 Post by Beate » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:31 pm

They certainly pulled out all the stops at Odeon Greenwich tonight. We arrived to a green carpet, had our name ticked off the guest list then posed with helmets and hammers in front of a green screen. OH looks amazing in an Asgardian helmet! They had red capes too but we didn't like them very much. Then we went upstairs where we posed for yet another picture and got a raffle ticket, then on into the huge screening room where there was an Empire mag, popcorn and a green Mountain Dew drink on every seat. Some seats also had green envelopes under them winning people t-shirts and DVDs. There were also headphones at every seat which we were asked not to steal and which provided some kind of running documentary by Chris Hewitt - it was distracting so I put them aside. We had some absolute clowns to our right who couldn't stop talking and playing with their phones. Luckily they scarpered after 40 minutes.

The film itself was ok but slow to get going I thought and not particularly logical - I didn't understand half of the plot I am afraid. The destruction of Greenwich was kind of fun because I know that area so well but I pity the poor tourists who will on the basis of this film try to get to Greenwich in three stops from Charing Cross.

On the way out we showed our raffle ticket and were presented with a mock-up of an Empire magazine cover with our faces on it, taken from the second photo! It looks AWESOME and we got two copies. o/

The film itself was 6/10, the rest of the screening was 8/10.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

missgotty
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Islington, Holloway, Greenwich O2, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, Tottenham Court Road, Marbel Arch, Hackney PH, Brixton PH, Enfield

#60 Post by missgotty » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:37 pm

Finally caught up with this on DVD and as sequels go It wasn't bad at all but I'm interested to see what the next film has to offer.