Holiday Thread

Chat about anything
Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

Re: Holiday Thread

#1181 Post by Diane65 » Sat May 02, 2015 5:28 pm

Sort of holiday well a day out really. Has anyone been to Blenheim Palace? It looks good online but as I'll be driving down for the day from Manchester I want to make sure it's worth my while.

On another note has anyone been to Luxembourg as I'm thinking of doing a day trip from Strasbourg. I love anything culture/history related?

Thanks so much o/

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#1182 Post by Beate » Sat May 02, 2015 5:53 pm

Blenheim Palace is great. Lots to see inside and beautiful landscape around it. You can spend a whole day there if the weather is good. You can convert your ticket into an annual one so you could come back for free within a year. Not cheap but you can use Tesco club card vouchers.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.

#1183 Post by Diane65 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:49 pm

Beate wrote:Blenheim Palace is great. Lots to see inside and beautiful landscape around it. You can spend a whole day there if the weather is good. You can convert your ticket into an annual one so you could come back for free within a year. Not cheap but you can use Tesco club card vouchers.
Thanks Beate you've sold it to me and I'm definitely going now. I have a friend who is also mad enough to come on the 3 hour drive with me ;) , we'll have a fabulous day out, now planning to have a picnic in the grounds too. Just exchanged a £5 Tesco voucher so just £2.50 to p*y on the day o/ Thanks for the information on converting the ticket to an annual pass o/

Beate
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#1184 Post by Beate » Sun May 03, 2015 10:09 am

Just make sure you look your best on the day. They take a picture of you to convert it into an annual pass. I still got mine. Used it as photo ID somewhere once...

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#1185 Post by prettyxcool » Sun May 03, 2015 8:02 pm

Beate wrote:Just make sure you look your best on the day. They take a picture of you to convert it into an annual pass. I still got mine. Used it as photo ID somewhere once...
I remembered that time! :bwl:

Some great holidays taken on here (just catching up!). I want to go too now! o/
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2

#1186 Post by Diane65 » Sun May 03, 2015 9:22 pm

prettyxcool wrote:
Beate wrote:Just make sure you look your best on the day. They take a picture of you to convert it into an annual pass. I still got mine. Used it as photo ID somewhere once...
I remembered that time! :bwl:

Some great holidays taken on here (just catching up!). I want to go too now! o/
I too love reading about everybody's trips. I will make sure that I'm suitably attired for the photo ;)

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2

#1187 Post by Diane65 » Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 pm

Just had a lovely day at Blenheim Palace. It was the garden that sold it to me, beautiful
very English gardens. I imagine that next month when the roses are out the rose garden will be stunning. Don't forget to have a look at the butterfly house and lavender garden plus the model village of Woodstock in the maze garden. The lake is just wonderful for strolling around along with a little waterfall.

As it's my first time in the Cotswolds we stopped at a couple of little villages on the way back plus decided to spend an hour at Leamington Spa as just 10 minutes off the M42 so a shame not to take the opportunity to visit. Delightful houses with very pretty balconies plus a very pretty city centre garden with water features and fragrant flowers of yesteryear.

All in all a lovely day out and worth making the effort to drive.

As for the photo they took it when I wasn't even looking the right way so I won't be using it for ID.

John Milton
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Glasgow

#1188 Post by John Milton » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:30 am

Hi all,

The OH and I are looking to have a UK based break in September and she has set her sights on a visit to the Isle of Wight. Can any FMUKers help out with:

Pubs etc that are dog-friendly
Places to see
Any recommendations at all!

Thanks in advance
2012 Free Films: John Carter, The Cabin in the Woods, Snow White and The Huntsman, Lawless.

Joined FMUK: March 2013

2013 Free Films: Robot & Frank, Olympus Has Fallen, Maniac, Evil Dead, Oblivion, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Behind the Candelabra, Everybody has a Plan, This is the End, The Internship, Citadel, Pain & Gain, We're the Millers, You're Next, Rush, How I Live Now.

2014 Free Films: Locke, Chef, The Hundred-Foot Journey, Fury, The Drop, The Woman in Black: Angel of Death.

2016 Free Films: Anthropoid, I,Daniel Blake.

2017 Free Films: Hacksaw Ridge.

Please check out my reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pdp/profile/ ... _cr_dp_pdp

Beate

#1189 Post by Beate » Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:52 am

What a fantastic choice. The Isle of Wight is wonderful and will not be so crowded in September. I know nothing about dog-friendly pubs but dogs are around everywhere so I wouldn't worry too much. We stayed in a hotel right next to the Shanklin Chine which is lovely and peaceful. There is so much to see! The Zoo is fantastic - say hi to Casper the white lion from us! There's another animal park (Amazon World), a donkey sanctuary and an owl & falconry centre at Appuldurcombe House. Robin Hill Park is worth a visit even if you are not a fan of adventure rides. You can see red squirrels there! The Needles are an absolute must - you take a chairlift down to the beach and a boat round the rocks. The multi-coloured sand is beautiful. That's just from memory. Osbourne House (Queen Victoria's residence) of course and Carisbrooke Castle! There's a Steam Railway as well.

John Milton
The Third Man
The Third Man

#1190 Post by John Milton » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:30 pm

Beate wrote:What a fantastic choice. The Isle of Wight is wonderful and will not be so crowded in September. I know nothing about dog-friendly pubs but dogs are around everywhere so I wouldn't worry too much. We stayed in a hotel right next to the Shanklin Chine which is lovely and peaceful. There is so much to see! The Zoo is fantastic - say hi to Casper the white lion from us! There's another animal park (Amazon World), a donkey sanctuary and an owl & falconry centre at Appuldurcombe House. Robin Hill Park is worth a visit even if you are not a fan of adventure rides. You can see red squirrels there! The Needles are an absolute must - you take a chairlift down to the beach and a boat round the rocks. The multi-coloured sand is beautiful. That's just from memory. Osbourne House (Queen Victoria's residence) of course and Carisbrooke Castle! There's a Steam Railway as well.
Beate! My apologies for the delayed response! We're all booked up and very much looking forward to it! It looks like many of the venues and tourist attractions are dog-friendly too. :)
2012 Free Films: John Carter, The Cabin in the Woods, Snow White and The Huntsman, Lawless.

Joined FMUK: March 2013

2013 Free Films: Robot & Frank, Olympus Has Fallen, Maniac, Evil Dead, Oblivion, Star Trek: Into Darkness, Behind the Candelabra, Everybody has a Plan, This is the End, The Internship, Citadel, Pain & Gain, We're the Millers, You're Next, Rush, How I Live Now.

2014 Free Films: Locke, Chef, The Hundred-Foot Journey, Fury, The Drop, The Woman in Black: Angel of Death.

2016 Free Films: Anthropoid, I,Daniel Blake.

2017 Free Films: Hacksaw Ridge.

Please check out my reviews on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/pdp/profile/ ... _cr_dp_pdp