Discuss movies (including free films)
The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0

Re: Spooks: The Greater Good

#11 Post by The Sparrow » Tue May 05, 2015 1:09 am

D-Fens wrote:What was Harry's job?
He's the Head of the Counter Terrorism Department and I'm pretty sure that is actually said at one point.
I know several people who watched the film without watching the series and they not only understood it but loved it too.

I really enjoyed the twists and turns and whilst Pearce seems to be cold-hearted, we also get to see his caring, warmer side too.
I'm surprised it was a 15 certificate but after reading Insight on BBFC, I suppose I understand why it was given this over a 12A.

I found it a great action adventure and made me hanker after the series. 9/10
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#12 Post by alythonian » Tue May 05, 2015 7:54 am

Yes he himself gave his title at one point.
Alythonian

idbridge
Air Force One
Air Force One

#13 Post by idbridge » Tue May 05, 2015 8:25 am

I b*ght the DVD of series one of the tv series yesterday and started watching that. I did watch it at the time but excellent stuff..

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#14 Post by D-Fens » Tue May 05, 2015 12:32 pm

He doesn't act like the head though? After the prisoner transfer
Spoiler
Show
goes wrong there is the scene at the cemetery. It's easy to understand it's influence, even out of context and it's explained shortly after. But who is the other character he is talking to, is she from the series? When she's killed two scenes later it leaves no impact on a casual viewer and he just starts working for the terrorists. I get it's for The Greater GoodTM but is this how he normally acts? In movie terms he goes rogue and a new main character is introduced, if everything was presented from his POV then no problem but without an awareness of existing relationships it's hard to understand who I'm supposed to be rooting for in the other scenes.

LatrellBrown
Air Force One
Air Force One

#15 Post by LatrellBrown » Tue May 05, 2015 10:17 pm

I though this was a decent spy/ action film with a spin off of the series. - 7.5/10

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#16 Post by The Sparrow » Tue May 05, 2015 11:21 pm

D-Fens wrote:He doesn't act like the head though? After the prisoner transfer
Spoiler
Show
goes wrong there is the scene at the cemetery. It's easy to understand it's influence, even out of context and it's explained shortly after. But who is the other character he is talking to, is she from the series? When she's killed two scenes later it leaves no impact on a casual viewer and he just starts working for the terrorists. I get it's for The Greater GoodTM but is this how he normally acts? In movie terms he goes rogue and a new main character is introduced, if everything was presented from his POV then no problem but without an awareness of existing relationships it's hard to understand who I'm supposed to be rooting for in the other scenes.
Just wondering if you watched it all?
Spoiler
Show
Harry gave the order to release Qasim at the start. He is obviously the Head and as stated, he gave his full title when he met Qasim. As for the girl who had infiltrated his organisation, Harry says clearly that he feels responsible for her and without him around, there is noone to protect her. She was never in the series so is a new character to all viewers, casual or not. Yes, Harry is cold and again he states why but we also see a rare warmer side to him when he explains to Will why he decommisioned him.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#17 Post by D-Fens » Wed May 06, 2015 12:24 pm

I can confirm I watched the movie. I'll also admit that it may have passed me by when Harry mentioned his title to Qasim, not realising it was one of the few moments spent establishing his character before he literally
Spoiler
Show
disappears from the movie. I'm still not clear who Lara Pulver was playing. Are you cleverly answering in the style of the movie to throw me off the scent? If you're saying she was an infiltrator does that mean there were 3 female double agents in the movie? The one who Qasim killed, Harry feels responsible for and therefore begins working for the terrorists instead of doing his obviously announced job? The younger one who partners with Kit, who technically isn't a double agent because she is just doing what she's told, although maybe they're telling her the wrong thing in which case she unwittingly is. And Jennifer Ehle, evil head of heads who went evil who Harry warmly lets play with her niece at the end?

missgotty
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Islington, Holloway, Greenwich O2, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, Tottenham Court Road, Marbel Arch, Hackney PH, Brixton PH, Enfield

#18 Post by missgotty » Fri May 08, 2015 12:39 am

Having never seen the TV series I didn't have any expectations, however I came out thinking I did just watch an episode of a TV show. It was a bit too tame fr me.

4/10

sandypiper
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Cineworld at Xscape Milton Keynes, Odeon at the Point, Milton Keynes

#19 Post by sandypiper » Mon May 25, 2015 9:09 am

Thoroughly enjoyed the film, mind you I enjoyed the TV series too. I did enjoy seeing Malcolm and Harry in the Film.

I still think that 'Ros Myers' is the best character that the TV Series Spooks has ever had. Biased yes I am.