Miss You Already

Discuss movies (including free films)
prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

Miss You Already

#1 Post by prettyxcool » Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:17 am

Many thanks to missgotty for taking me to the special Hush screening at Soho Hotel.

I enjoyed it, despite the subject matter, and it was not as weepy as I expected. There were plenty of humour that lighten it, and I did not need the tissues that were provided. Toni Collette and Drew Barrymore were great as the two best friends. I always find Drew really intriguing/interesting to watch. Love Dominic Cooper and Paddy Considine (who looks really, really familiar but cannot place where I had seen him!) but both have thankless roles as the husbands. Some parts seem quite contrived,
Spoiler
Show
especially when Drew's character is giving birth, the whole thing is being watch by Paddy's character and his colleagues on an oil rig via video chat!
That was incredulous and so over the top. Jacqueline Bissett as Toni's mum is a hoot though. 7/10
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

Re: Miss You Already

#2 Post by Beate » Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:14 am

prettyxcool wrote: Paddy Considine (who looks really, really familiar but cannot place where I had seen him!)
Hot Fuzz? The Bourne Ultimatum? Tyrannosaur? Now is Good? The World's End? The Suspicions of Mr Whicher? PRIDE?
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Lufc47
Air Force One
Air Force One

#3 Post by Lufc47 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:26 pm

prettyxcool wrote:Many thanks to missgotty for taking me to the special Hush screening at Soho Hotel.

I enjoyed it, despite the subject matter, and it was not as weepy as I expected. There were plenty of humour that lighten it, and I did not need the tissues that were provided. Toni Collette and Drew Barrymore were great as the two best friends. I always find Drew really intriguing/interesting to watch. Love Dominic Cooper and Paddy Considine (who looks really, really familiar but cannot place where I had seen him!) but both have thankless roles as the husbands. Some parts seem quite contrived,
Spoiler
Show
especially when Drew's character is giving birth, the whole thing is being watch by Paddy's character and his colleagues on an oil rig via video chat!
That was incredulous and so over the top. Jacqueline Bissett as Toni's mum is a hoot though. 7/10
And his best film . Dead mans shoes , brilliant in that , what a great British film

cheekyweelassie
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Empire Walthamstow, Odeon South Woodford, Odeon Lee Valley or weekday evenings at Millbank, central London

#4 Post by cheekyweelassie » Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:22 pm

Saw this at the weekend to make the most of my Vue/Nectar tickets before they expire tomorrow. I had seen Drew Barrymore and Toni Collette on the Alan Carr show the week before, so I thought I knew a bit about this film. Turns out I totally underestimated how depressed it would make me!
I did appreciate the humour, and there were a lot of lighthearted moments away from the fact that someone is diagnosed with terminal cancer, but heck, I still found it pretty depressing all in all!
I found it troubling that I never particularly warmed to Toni Collette's character Millie, so that didn't help me connect with the character's journey through the film. The husbands were weakly characterised, as this is very much about the ups and downs of female friendship.
It was set in London, but a rather odd movietised version of London where one person lives in a converted warehouse and the other lives on a river boat! I like to look out for familiar locations but didn't see any, so it could have been set anywhere really.
As a massive R.E.M. fan I was delighted that there was a whole sequence dedicated to singing along with 'Losing My Religion', which scored the film at least an extra two points from me!
I think I enjoyed it, in the strange way that you can enjoy something that brings you down. I didn't get tearful though, which I think is to do with my lack of connection to characters.
7/10

Cortone
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 1037
Preferred Cinemas: All York and Leeds, Harrogate, Bradford.

#5 Post by Cortone » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:29 pm

cheekyweelassie wrote: I found it troubling that I never particularly warmed to Toni Collette's character Millie, so that didn't help me connect with the character's journey through the film. The husbands were weakly characterised, as this is very much about the ups and downs of female friendship.
I think I enjoyed it, in the strange way that you can enjoy something that brings you down. I didn't get tearful though, which I think is to do with my lack of connection to characters.
7/10
I totally agree with the comment on Toni Collette's character - but thought about this, and realise that we put up with so much from the best friend from school - who is really more like a member of the family. We might not love (or sometimes even like) the friend, but there is a bond there.

But same friend, who can be a bit strange from time to time, went through breast cancer treatment 2-3 years ago, and is fine. (She moved to Spain weeks before .... but turned out great in terms of treatment). Spain may have a recession, but her treatment was absolutely outstanding and she is fine (in cancer terms...). So, did have some reflections about what could have happened....

Sadly, the preview event (pa*d, but discounted) was very poorly attended. The "goodie" bag was pathetic (and rather London-centric), but sent mine to a friend who goes to Champneys regularly (lucky girl).

It was lovely to see Haworth (Bronte land) and Ilkley and other local locations. Well done Screen Yorkshire!

McG
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Paisley, Braehead, Glasgow Odeon & Cineworld

#6 Post by McG » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:54 pm

Saw this today using a voucher and found it much better than I expected. I had expected a tv movie type film and instead found a very realistic view of how 2 women who have been friends from childhood cope with one being ill. It's true that the men don't feature much but the 'sisterhood' is what is being examined. I did not weep but did find the progress of the illness to be very well-handled and also true.
I would say it's worth seeing.
Marks 7.5/10
Preferred cinemas: Best: Glasgow Quay, Glasgow Braehead, Glasgow Renfield Street, Glasgow Fort & Paisley
Others I'd go to: Glasgow Showcase Baillieston

Films already booked for:

Hope to get tickets for: Every film if they come to my preferred cinemas

Member of the 100 Free Films of 2019.
Aim will again be 150. 54 seen: 96 to go.

Member no.9 again for the 100 Free Films of 2018.
My aim will be 150. 143 seen, 07 to go.

Member No. 9 again for the 100 Free Films in 2017. 156 seen, 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2016: 135 seen 0 to go
Member no.9 of the 100 Free Films in 2015: 72 28 to go
Member no. 9 of the 100 Free Films in 2014; 85 seen 15 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 Free Films in 2013" ; 89 seen 11 to go!
Member No. 9 of the "100 free films in 2012" club. 86 seen 14 short of 100!

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#7 Post by alythonian » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:54 pm

I saw this last night with my 2/1 voucher cut out of the Sunday Times so with that and my free popcorn Times+ voucher we got 2 tickets and popcorn for £5. Quite happy with that deal.
The film was equally uplifting and depressing, agree Milly was hard to like but didn't stop you feeling for what dhe was going through. Didn't realise until it started this was set in England.
7/10
Alythonian

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#8 Post by prettyxcool » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:54 pm

prettyxcool wrote: Paddy Considine (who looks really, really familiar but cannot place where I had seen him!)
Thanks Beate, it was indeed Pride!
Thanks Lufc47, I have not seen Dead Man's Shoes yet. Look forward to seeing it ;)
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen

missgotty
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Islington, Holloway, Greenwich O2, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, Tottenham Court Road, Marbel Arch, Hackney PH, Brixton PH, Enfield

#9 Post by missgotty » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:48 am

Saw this as part of a Hush event held at the Soho Hotel with prettyxcool. Comfy seats and it was nice of Hush to provide us with yummy chocolate and tissues.

As for the film although I was moved by the plight of a woman going through the struggles of dealing with cancer, there's always something corny about a film with Drew Barrymoor in it, I couldn't really take the film that seriously. I think if I had personal experience of a friend/family going through this I would have identified more with it.

5/10