Suicide Squad

Discuss movies (including free films)
tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

Suicide Squad

#1 Post by tonethestone » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:12 pm

Be prepare to be disappointed, the reviews have started to flood out and they are pretty awful (29% on RT at time of writing!), it's truly a v disappointing poor film. Margot Robbie is good, Will Smith ok. The rest poor, all with the same motives and same backstory in essence. Ending is poor. Jared Leto version of the Joker is not even close to Heath Ledger.

Shame. 2/5.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Re: Suicide Squad

#2 Post by D-Fens » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:27 pm

I thought it was okay until the thrust of the movie turned out to be another monster attacking a city.

It was a mistake to debut a new version of the Joker here, he's completely lacking in charisma which really sticks out aside a whole squad of personalities.

scootermcc
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element

#3 Post by scootermcc » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:43 pm

Caught this in the new 4DX screen at Glasgow Cineworld. After all the negative reviews I went with low expectations however much to my surprise I found it pretty good.

The 4DX screen certainly added to the enjoyment and well worth a visit if you live near a cinema that has it.

kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master

#4 Post by kevinknapman » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:46 am

Not quite the all out disaster that the reviews last week suggested but rarely offering up anything truly spectacular, Suicide Squad turns out to be a sporadically entertaining and passable piece of blockbuster entertainment albeit one with its fair share of frustating flaws.

The squad themselves are a bit of a mixed bunch. Margot Robbie unsurprisingly has a ball as Harley Quinn, stealing most of her scenes with barely concealed glee. Admittedly her abusive relationship with Joker is as problematic as it's always been however and it's treatment of women in general is questionable.
More surprising is that almost matching her in the scene-stealing stakes is Jai Courtney who after a few years of unsuccessful attempts at becoming a Hollywood leading man, just lets his hair down and has fun as the improbably named Captain Boomerang.
Will Smith and Jay Hernandez take a slightly different approach, investing their characters with a touch more depth than is normally expected. Which makes for an interesting if tonally confused group dynamic.
Outside of the squad, Viola Davis is excellent as the no-nonsense Amanda Waller and Ike Barinholtz is good value as a prison guard.
Jared Leto is fine if a little underused as Joker but even he fares better than Adam Beach who is completely wasted as Slipknot. So much for the supposed importance of hiring a Native American actor to play a normally white comic book character.

On the action side, the army of relentless, difficult to kill bad guys results in a rather repetitive set of fight sequences with very few stand out moments. Perfectly watchable perhaps but you'd hope for more from this type of film. Though the special effects are generally impressive.

Overall though and despite several plot holes and narrative inconsistencies, I found it entertaining enough and if it wasn't quite the fun, anarchic breath of fresh air that the trailer suggested it's still preferable to the dour, humour free slog that Batman Vs Superman was.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

Ronny Boi

#5 Post by Ronny Boi » Wed Aug 10, 2016 6:38 pm

I thought that the first act was pretty flawless - quickly and effectively establishes the protagonists of the film and the premise which is delivered through Viola Davis' Amanda Waller - a role which she encapsulates perfectly. It gets you sufficiently hyped up and ready for the action rollercoaster that you're about to be released onto. One thing to be noted is that the antagonist isn't particularly noteworthy. As is the case with much of the superhero genre, especially when an ensemble cast is involved, the villain and their motivations are left quite barren but it is usually forgiveable.

Once the movie enters it's second and third cast, two of the major concerns I had surrounded editing and the script. It becomes quite apparent that the rumor that had spread regarding re-shoots were in fact true and as the new footage is spliced into the pre-existing idea of a film, the film suffers as a result of tonal shifts, the undercutting of tension and just a lack of consistency. This seems to have been done in favor of the "humor" aspect of the film a la Deadpool, but this film is unable to wield it to much effect as a) the "humor" in the case is usually delivered by a snark one-liner delivered by one of the characters, namely Harley or Deadshot and b) it seems to be placed haphazardly at the end of scenes which had some emotional tension or gravitas, thereby undermining it entirely.

There were additional flaws in it (questionable character motives, lack of the Joker character, the , but I thought it was still an enjoyable film by all accounts and not as horrible as the reviews had made it out to be, definitely not as low as 29% which is where the RT rating stood at the time of my viewing. Definitely worth a chance and even if you are not going to watch it, I recommend taking a listen to the soundtrack which is simply a superb collection of tracks (from Jazz to Rap, Trap, Dubstep and more).

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#6 Post by raj101 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 9:59 pm

this was crud.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

#7 Post by RandomHajile » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:03 pm

Seen it 4times just to make sure.

It's good, as a 12a, but as a 15certificate it's a let down.

The reshot stuff sticks out like Harley's roots :p

And Zak sniders slow mo is all over it.

But it looks fantastic and virtually a john carpenter homage/rip off.

Try catch the 4k 2d version.

8/10

trollini

#8 Post by trollini » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:59 am

Totally agree... there is not point at all in seeing this film. At the end you will just notice how cheap the film is.
A total 1/5 :confused: :confused:suicide squad mega

Summergirl

#9 Post by Summergirl » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:51 pm

Oh no, we were going to see this tonight in the cinema with our 2 for 1 tickets and most of the reviews I've read seem to be quite bad on it :cry:

Is there anything else on at the moment that any of you would recommend instead? I've already seen Mike and Dave need wedding tickets with free Showfilm First tickets last week though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated :D

fillumboy2
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#10 Post by fillumboy2 » Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:41 pm

Could have been worse...should have been better.

I suspect that there is a much better version in the footage left out and let's hope that rather like the new home cinema cut of BvS - DoJ