Hidden Figures

Discuss movies (including free films)
Diamond1
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Old post count: 0

Re: Hidden Figures

#51 Post by Diamond1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:51 pm

It's really good, how dry maths can be entertaining is a mystery but they did it!!!! Go and see it!!!

Gavy1944

#52 Post by Gavy1944 » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:42 pm

It was a real joy to watch this inspiring biopic about the lives of the three black women who would help to launch America's first successful space flight. Sounds rosey. Set this in its early-60s context, and you realise their progression was nothing short of revolutionary, and worthy of critical acclaim as well as public adulation. We have first of all, 3 women, who rose in a male dominated industry (in a time where men were popularly viewed as more intelligent than women), and then more specifically 3 black women, during the times of segregation and black oppression, rising through court cases, bitchy managers, and long journeys to the "coloured toilets", to get to the positions their intellect warranted.

We are blessed to remember their accomplishments over half a century later, which is a credit to the silver screen.

It's great that Katherine Johnson and her husband Colonel James Johnson still live on to this day, happily married, at nearly 100 years old - I would love to know their opinion of the film, and how it reflects their relationship.
Spoiler
Show
The scene where Costner's character takes down the coloured toilets sign was the defining moment for me... it's very interesting that NASA was one of the first organisations to omit segregation (is that right?), despite its location in Virginia, where oppression was particularly pronounced
8/10 - based on accuracy to detail

Smarties
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: Sheffield, Manchester, Leeds, Cardiff

#53 Post by Smarties » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:24 pm

Very nice film, with good performances across the board. Surprised Taraji P. Henson hasn't been getting more awards love, especially for that amazing monologue she delivers in the middle section. I liked the inclusion of Pharrell Williams' music, I thought his songs worked nicely for certain scenes, and the score was also lovely.

One small nitpick. Don't see why the director needed to fictionalize the whole Katherine having to walk half a mile to use the colored bathroom storyline. The real Katherine Johnson has said that this never happened, and she actually used the nearest bathroom.

chaneln1993

#54 Post by chaneln1993 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:28 am

I loved this film. Left the cinema feeling on top of the world. Such an empowering film with great casting.

yingsandy
Air Force One
Air Force One

#55 Post by yingsandy » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:19 am

Yes it was a really good film.. was really moving! But if it wasn't because I was offer free tickets, just by looking at the poster I probably wouldn't pick this film...but it is seriously entertaining!

cinecine
Air Force One
Air Force One

#56 Post by cinecine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:21 pm

Really enjoyed - I love inspiring stories like these that seem to get lost in history and are highlighted through film. Would highly recommend!

cinecine
Air Force One
Air Force One

#57 Post by cinecine » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:27 pm

Really enjoyed - I love inspiring stories like these that seem to get lost in history and are highlighted through film. Would highly recommend!

Sunrisemaria

#58 Post by Sunrisemaria » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:25 pm

First post! Just saw Hidden Figures and really enjoyed the storyline and ensemble acting - great period piece with superb 1960s costumes and cars, plus deft handling of segregation and the need for change for Black Americans. Astonishing women!!!

Nanna

#59 Post by Nanna » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:05 am

Loved this film. In todays world of increasing racism it has strong messages for all of us. As we watch the unthinking racism by colleagues we are challenged to see where views that we may accept and do not challenge may be seen as unacceptable by future generations. It exposes the sexism and racism with humour never making us feel uncomfortable.
What amazing women. 10/10

nosila50
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh, Livingston, Dunfermline

#60 Post by nosila50 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:25 am

Bit late posting on this film, but even with the time since seeing it, I am still talking about how good it was so that's testament to the impression it left. Agree with all the positive commentary and have nothing more to add other than a definite go see. 10/10
Member No. 50 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 7 seen!
Member No. 50, in 2018" club. 29 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2017” club. 31 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2016" club. 36 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2015" club. 22 seen.