Alien Covenant

Discuss movies (including free films)
missgotty
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Islington, Holloway, Greenwich O2, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, Tottenham Court Road, Marbel Arch, Hackney PH, Brixton PH, Enfield

Alien Covenant

#1 Post by missgotty » Fri May 05, 2017 11:59 pm

I saw Alien Covenant at the premiere last night in Leicester square, and kept bumping into Keith Lemon who was very gracious in letting fans take selfies with him in the cinema without getting annoyed.

I pretty much discounted the previous film Prometheus altogether as a big disappointment, so was really looking forward to seeing what Ridley Scott had to offer this time to make amends, and he didn't disappoint. Alien Covenant follows directly on from Prometheus.

I would classify this film more as a horror as opposed to Aliens which is predominantly action packed. The special effects are really good especially when people got infected, and the scenes with the baby alien were the best 'OMG moments'. The style of the film very much plays homage to at least 3 of the past films, and brings back the reasons why I love the original films. I kept smiling when I recognised particular scenes similar to the other films. This film answers some questions people have wondered about the alien itself, I certainty didn't see that coming! There are also a couple of questions left unanswered and me wondering 'how did that happen'?
I also loved that this film is very tense. My friend thought the characters needed to be developed more and I agree you don't really get to know the crew enough. Plus there's an unexpected famous cameo who shows up for 5 minutes. But I'm such a big fan of the Alien series that there were more than enough gifts in there for me, obviously if you're not a fan you may feel differently. Overall I enjoyed it a plan to watch it again just so I can pick up on anything I missed.

7/10

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

Re: Alien Covenant

#2 Post by tonethestone » Sun May 14, 2017 3:17 pm

V disappointing, can see why it's had such poor reviews. Ending sucked. Shower scene bizarre. 3/10.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#3 Post by The Sparrow » Sun May 14, 2017 4:00 pm

I went in fearing the worst because I knew it was getting poor reviews and I wasn't a fan of Premetheus but I loved Covenant.

In fact, there is a lot to love about Covenant including the actual Aliens. Some cracking attacks, some sneaky stalking and some very bloody scenes with wonderful effects.

I did guess something critical to the film though but it didn't ruin it for me.

One thing that puzzled me . .
Spoiler
Show
If David is an AI, how did his hair grow??
Not sure
Spoiler
Show
why the hell James Franco turned up for such a tiny cameo but maybe he's a big fan.
Also
Spoiler
Show
I wasn't quite sure why we needed to see Guy Pearce talking to his son David at the start.
Did I miss something??
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

Jayman
Se7en
Se7en

#4 Post by Jayman » Mon May 15, 2017 4:30 pm

The Sparrow wrote:
Spoiler
Show
I wasn't quite sure why we needed to see Guy Pearce talking to his son David at the start.
Did I miss something??
That follows on from Prometheus. It just offers some background into the creation of the androids and their relationship with Peter Weyland.
ImageImage

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#5 Post by raj101 » Tue May 23, 2017 1:14 pm

hello

did this greatly benefit from an IMAX screen or was it better off as a normal horror-faces-scream-runaway size screen?

thank you.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

#6 Post by RandomHajile » Tue May 23, 2017 1:31 pm

imax laser would

normal imax not so much

there is no expansion of the frame height

Jayman
Se7en
Se7en

#7 Post by Jayman » Tue May 23, 2017 1:37 pm

I would add this movie is most definitely NOT deserving of the IMAX premium.
It's mildly entertaining but you won't walk out stunned out of your mind.

Save your money for something worthier.
ImageImage

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#8 Post by raj101 » Tue May 23, 2017 3:42 pm

thanks for the ready feedback Haije and Jay, wilco.

To quote my 2nd fav Carry on movie - Now, we know.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#9 Post by D-Fens » Thu May 25, 2017 7:27 pm

This has turned in to a bizarre series. They must have been aware of the common criticism of Prometheus but rather than learn from it, it's like they doubled it in the sequel.

We have strict quarantine procedures right now, yet a hundred years in the future they do so many unadvisable things just to make the plot possible.

If part of the story was about the stupidity of man it would be fine, there are opportunites to make that point but they definitely don't.

But like Prometheus they've built an interesting world, would have been happy to just hang around on the mothership and look at displays for 2 hours.

sueonline

#10 Post by sueonline » Sat May 27, 2017 10:42 am

Hi,
Watched this on 4dx. The movie was made for this effect I guess.
The movie itself was a bit off a let down. Did not progress the theories of Prometheus much and was not too scary either.
I thought showing the aliens outside and fully made them less scary and the CGI not up to mark. None of the characters developed very much but the focus is on David and Fassbinder does a good job.
If I had to rate the series it would be Aliens, Alien, Prometheus and Covenant.