Dunkirk

Discuss movies (including free films)
tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

Dunkirk

#1 Post by tonethestone » Mon Jul 10, 2017 7:08 pm

Was at an IMAX press screening of this new film from Christopher Nolan.

Absolutely outstanding, its non-stop, harrowing war film, one of the best films I've seen in a long time and a movie experience unlike one I've had before. For film fans. If you're a Michael Bay type film go-er give it a miss, this one requires grown-ups.

5/5
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

Re: Dunkirk

#2 Post by fraz » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:06 pm

Imax booked for this, can't wait. Roll on 21st..
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

philipand96
Air Force One
Air Force One

#3 Post by philipand96 » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:18 pm

This film has for a long time been on my essential to see list
I know its the story telling that make a film a film....

Christopher Nolan is in a league of his own however I have just noticed the film is 106 minutes
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5013056/?ref_=nm_flmg_wr_1 ,

This if correct is the first fiim as director to be under the 2 hour mark
Quentin Rodriguez & Robert Tarantino

kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master

#4 Post by kevinknapman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:53 am

philipand96 wrote:
This if correct is the first fiim as director to be under the 2 hour mark
It's actually his first film since 2002's Insomnia to be under two hours.
Following and Memento were also less than 2 hours long.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

kevinknapman

#5 Post by kevinknapman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:53 am

With Dunkirk, Christopher Nolan delivers a masterclass in suspense with this tense and relentless depiction of Operation Dynamo and the attempts to rescue 400,000 men from the beach and harbour of the French port.

Omitting the usual scenes of generals in wood-panelled rooms pushing pieces around a military map with long sticks, Dunkirk instead focuses solely on the men directly involved in the evacuation.
Depicting events through the experiences of the soldiers waiting on the beach, the Spitfire pilots fighting in the skies above and the civilian ships making their way towards them.
It's a bold way to tell the story and is initially a little confusing as they each take place at a different time but this becomes more intriguing as they start to overlap.

From the opening scene of British soldiers under fire from the enemy on the almost deserted streets of Dunkirk, the film barely pauses for breath as one tense set piece follows another. Dialogue is also kept to a minimum, which spares the audience from the usual clunky exposition that tends to typify films like this.
Nolan's decision to simplify and rein in his tendency for indulgent running times makes this not only his shortest film in a while but also his most rewarding.

Technically it's also outstanding with some of the most immersive aerial photography seen on the big screen in a while and Nolan's Interstellar DoP Hoyte Van Hoytema ensures it looks visually spectacular too.

A fantastic ensemble cast helps bring out the human element amid the chaos. Fionn Whitehead (in only his 2nd screen role after ITV drama Him), Mark Rylance, Tom Hardy, Aneurin Barnard, Kenneth Branagh, James D'Arcy, Jack Lowden, Tom Glynn-Carney, Barry Keoghan, Cillian Murphy and, yes, even Harry Styles are all excellent. Son of Rambow's Bill Milner makes a surprisingly brief appearance towards the end (perhaps more footage of him ended up on the cutting room floor), while fans of The Bill are in for a treat with a blink and you'll miss it appearance from Sgt Bob Cryer himself, Eric Richard.

A fine Hans Zimmer score and exceptional sound design ramps up the tension and what could have been yet another run of the mill war movie is transformed into something closer to an against the clock suspense thriller.

If I was to pick holes, Christopher Nolan's trademark muffled dialogue makes another appearance (it has Tom Hardy wearing a pilot's mask throughout so this isn't exactly surprising). This is a minor criticism however considering how little dialogue there is overall.
Plus, as I mentioned earlier, some may find the fact that the three narrative strands take place at slightly different times a little confusing. Land takes place over a week, Sea over a day and Air over an hour. However this does become more intriguing later on as the strands overlap.

It probably goes without saying that you should see this on the biggest screen possible. I for one will be catching this again on IMAX 70mm.

A monumental achievement and a visceral and emotionally involving spectacle.
Last edited by kevinknapman on Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#6 Post by tonethestone » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Never seen a film get as good reviews as this is, especially from respected outlets. Thoroughly deserved, amazing film.
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8

Tenet
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

ahman
The Third Man
The Third Man

#7 Post by ahman » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:36 am

Can't wait to see it.

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#8 Post by tonethestone » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:42 pm

Seen again, best war film I've ever seen and I'm a big fan of war films.

5/5

Nolan = genius
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8

Tenet
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

#9 Post by RandomHajile » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:36 pm

saw it at bfi imax, they handed out 500 tshirts!

and as good as this film is, am not feeling the perfect scores this is getting left right and center

i feel that inception is better as well as the prestige/interstellar

its intense but i feel theres loads cut from this movie, spoilers

it literally is just one day. and the editing is a bit janky

anyways its a 8/10 from me, the sound track was great but overuse of subwoofer bass thru out, to fake people into anticipation/apprehension

CtheG84
Air Force One
Air Force One

#10 Post by CtheG84 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Don't always write reviews for films but Dunkirk is different, it's a piece of our history & is currently at your local. For it to work Nolan has created some truly stunning cinematography that has your heart pounding within the first minute and it truly never lets up, my heart was in my mouth from the off. Zimmer has created a soundtrack and score that enhances this whilst the three suspenseful stories run greatly in sync tying perfectly together in the finale. For anyone & everyone.- this is an assault on the senses giving a visionaries portrayl of this "recent" British event. To note - this among only a handful of others is rightfully receiving a 5 star from me on Flixster & really deserves your hard earnt cash.