Beauty and the Beast 2017

Discuss movies (including free films)
cheekyweelassie
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Empire Walthamstow, Odeon South Woodford, Odeon Lee Valley or weekday evenings at Millbank, central London

Re: Beauty and the Beast 2017

#21 Post by cheekyweelassie » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:45 pm

I haven't seen this film yet (though I am looking forward to it very much) so I was reading the reviews here. Without wishing to offend anyone, I have to say I was troubled by this comment...

[quote="McG"] I have heard some discussion about Disney having introduced a"'gay character" into the film but I can assure anyone with any concerns that i would doubt if children would even notice . . .at most he has effeminate facial expressions (and that certainly doesn't mean someone is gay!)
Spoiler
Show
though there is a 2 second scene near the end where he appears to pair up with a man wearing a dress
As a gay woman, it bothers me that parents/grandparents would have 'concerns' about children noticing a "gay character". I have also read about Disney introducing this element into the film, and I was pleased if this was the case as it normalises homosexuality and helps with acceptance in society. Rather than hoping that children don't notice, it would be a good thing in my opinion if it raised questions from children as it is a good opportunity to explain to them (in an age-appropriate way of course) that some boys love boys and some girls love girls, no big deal.

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#22 Post by The Sparrow » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:37 am

I'm not going to speak on behalf of McG but when it was made known that one of the characters was gay, there was a lot of negativity. Personally I wish they'd allowed people to watch without telling us.
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

cinecine
Air Force One
Air Force One

#23 Post by cinecine » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:25 pm

I think I will always prefer the animated version but I thought this was a good effort- casting seemed decent and it is the first of the live action Disney films that I was curious enough to go and see. Nice family film overall. This and Aladdin are among my top Disney animated films so will be interested to see how the Aladdin casting etc pans out for the live action version.

cinecine
Air Force One
Air Force One

#24 Post by cinecine » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:25 pm

I think I will always prefer the animated version but I thought this was a good effort- casting seemed decent and it is the first of the live action Disney films that I was curious enough to go and see. Nice family film overall. This and Aladdin are among my top Disney animated films so will be interested to see how the Aladdin casting etc pans out for the live action version.