Blade Runner 2049

Discuss movies (including free films)
fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

Blade Runner 2049

#1 Post by fraz » Sat Oct 07, 2017 8:51 am

It's been a good few weeks for movies with It and Blade Runner finally arriving. It really deserved the hype, so does Blade Runner really deserve all the seemingly unanimous praise...

Well for me, it was great but waned a little towards the end. I was totally engrossed as K's story slowly went along. Uncovering a secret which could change everything in human / replicant relations. No real allies other than his Joi, could he actually be far more important than just another 'skinjob'.

I think the only problem was that the film played out so slowly that by the time they needed to start wrapping it up, it was too rushed.
Spoiler
Show
Did I miss something around how K was suddenly bearing down on the three cars transporting Deckard. How did he find them?

And if the one eyed woman wanted Deckard killed, why not just blow the cars up rather than send K who had vested interest.

Would also have liked to see Jared Leto killed rather than just 'Luv'
All in all it was a great story tie in to the first film and a pleasure to watch. Fantastically bleak settings and powerful score. One you will want to see 8/10
Last edited by fraz on Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

Re: Blade Runner 2049

#2 Post by RandomHajile » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:26 pm

Saw this in imax 2D as knew watching it in 3D for the quoted runtime would be asking for fatigue :p

It's really solid, didn't find it slow at all but do agree that the end felt a tad rushed.
Spoiler
Show
i think as K had been at Wallace hq before he just waited for them to leave with deckard.

luv getting the chop leaves Wallace free for the inevitable part3
I haven't seen it in a normal cinema yet but feel that the taller uncropped picture frame in imax was worth it just about.

Will prob catch it in Dolby atmos once LFF2017 is over and frees up vue/picturehouse Dolby atmos screens :p

Just about a 9/10

Would of been film of the year, but Dunkirk has that hands down.

elixir01
Air Force One
Air Force One

#3 Post by elixir01 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Quite a lot of hype for this film, not 100% sure it lived up to it for me, but then the original is such a classic. The long run time meant I was lagging a bit at times, but an amazing score and some really nice cinematography, so going to give this 7/10.

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#4 Post by alythonian » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:04 pm

Loved this. Thought it was a phenomenal film and more than worthy as a follow up to the original. The time flew by. It was clever and whilecit answered questions from the original it went on to wise more. Part three indeed awaits!
Alythonian

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#5 Post by D-Fens » Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:19 pm

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. The 4K rerelease last week in a large screen I hadn't visited before, suprised by almost 500 with the same idea. It started after just 6 minutes of preamble so shadows were still arriving 20 minutes into the movie. I'm not sure if it was that distraction or the strange atmosphere of being somewhere heaving and humid yet still disconnected but the whole thing just washed over me, like rain...

I watched the Blu-ray glitter in the dark at home to confirm the quality was superior and the soundtrack transported me back to that night. The absence of movie feelings replaced by the sensation of the past screening. Memory can be a funny thing, like tears...

I've been to the sequel and back, it's a more complicated story yet a more conventional movie. It's not a long journey if you know ahead of time it's 2 hours 40 minutes and you'll be burning through an afternoon or evening to it. There are no waves of hype, just reviews from all the usual sources and whatever perception you create in your own mind. It's full of ideas as movies that create entirely new worlds often are but the central theme still eludes me. I look forward to revisiting it but while the experience is still unfamiliar I'm just happy to have seen it... felt it!

I also saw the Jumaji trailer. Time to die.

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#6 Post by tonethestone » Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:27 pm

I didn’t like the original at all so I’m kinda swayed already but thought this was a load of artistic tosh, “the meaning is” tosh. Gosling is good. Rest just wanted to be better and cleverer than it actually is. Ending also v bizarre. 2/5
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#7 Post by raj101 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:14 am

awesome visuals but sometimes during the near 3 hours it makes rather soporific viewing.

Also, rather than answer 1 question from the first movie, it yields us a dozen new ones. CLassic Ridley style borrowed there by Villeneuve.

4 stars for fans. otherwise 3 stars.

I actually saw it twice today. Thats 5 1/2 hours in the cinema.

So
Spoiler
Show
is K a replicant? But a replicant who was born? or was that frenchie bubble woman.
ending is a bit messy to be fair
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

drizzy5oh
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Any Central London

#8 Post by drizzy5oh » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:27 pm

Seen this twice now, one free and one pa*d. This film has a lot going for it. The story is a bit messy, and there are plenty of unanswered questions and loose ends, but the main draw of this film is the atmosphere, cinematography, soundtrack and sound design. One of the most immersive films I've seen in a long time, beautifully shot by Roger Deakins. This film also cemented my opinion that Denis Villeneuve is the greatest living director in Hollywood at the moment.

Again, the atmosphere, cinematography and the soundtrack in particular were superb and turned this film from a 6/10 to a 9/10.

fanADE
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Duke at Komedia, Brighton
I haven't got tickets for: Edie 14/5/18 Brighton

#9 Post by fanADE » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:13 pm

strange film... stands out from what is around currently.. but trying to figure out if it is Digital remastering 20 or bladerunner 2:0.... progression on story but not on technological... dystopian
:D :P :p [img]%20%20[/img]

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#10 Post by raj101 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:29 pm

3rd time IMAX viewing, phew think I've pushed it as far as I can go. Keep finding bits I didnt notice last time. awesome.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?