Black Panther

Discuss movies (including free films)
kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master
Old post count: 0

Black Panther

#1 Post by kevinknapman » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:13 am

The ridiculously talented Ryan Coogler helms a supremely confident blockbuster with his third feature Black Panther.
The story of African prince T'Challa who becomes king of Wakanda after the death of his father while also inheriting the mantle of Black Panther, protector of his people.
The fate of his people and the world at large is put in danger with the arrival of Erik Killmonger who teams up with Ulysses Klaue (who possesses some of the stolen precious metal Vibranium, Wakanda's chief resource) to seek revenge and take the Wakandan throne.

Like Fruitvale Station and Creed before it, Black Panther offers astute commentary on themes of Black identity and community while delivering the requisite action thrills and grand set pieces we've come to expect from Marvel Studios.
Visually it's unlike anything that's come before, thanks to cinematographer Rachel Morrison (Oscar nominated this year for Mudbound). While it draws from a rich and wide variety of existing African culture to ensure that its fictional country of Wakanda feels like a vibrant and authentic environment.
Swedish composer and regular Coogler collaborator Ludwig Göransson also supplies a wonderful score that adds to this after he accompanied Baaba Maal on a tour of Senegal before recording the score with several Senegalese musicians. My only minor gripe in this regard is that I would have liked to have heard more of Kendrick Lamar's songs (the specially curated album of which I'm listening to as I write this review).

An exceptional cast is led by a suitably regal and imposing Chadwick Boseman as T'Challa/Black Panther with great support from Michael B. Jordan (as main villain Erik Killmonger), Angela Bassett, Forest Whitaker, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurari, Daniel Kaluuya, Winston Duke, Sterling K. Brown, Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman. Personally though I think it's Brit Letitia Wright (straight from excellent appearances in TV shows Humans, Black Mirror, Banana and Cucumber) who steals the show as T'Challa's hyper intelligent, charming and very funny younger sister Shuri.

On the whole Black Panther is an exciting addition to the Marvel canon.
Fresh and bold enough to work as a standalone film but with several developments that suggest it will have a major effect on how the subsequent Marvel films will continue.
A great cast, excellent action and an involving story with likeable characters make this a must see.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

fraz
Phase IV
Phase IV
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh: Wester Hailes, Cineworld, Omni, Cameo, Dominion, Ocean Terminal

Re: Black Panther

#2 Post by fraz » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:11 am

Very enjoyable and action packed, Thor aside, it's another standalone film which hits the mark for me at Marvel (the others being Ant Man, GOTG and Doctor Strange) while the Avengers, Captain America, Hulk and, especially, Iron Man, become a bit tedious. It's a shame they always push for crossovers as it's really not necessary. Less is more, Marvel. 8/10
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2018" club. 0 seen so far.. (12 on unlimited card)
Member No. 38 of the "100 free films in 2017" club. 7 seen (36 on unlimited card)

The Sparrow
8 1/2
8 1/2

#3 Post by The Sparrow » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:34 pm

Oh dear, this bored me rigid. It looked fabulous and the costumes were wonderful but I couldn't have cared less what happened to Wakanda.
I've never been disappointed in a Marvel film before. :tears:
Free Films Seen 2016
Jan - 7. Feb - 15. Mar - 39
Apr - 28. May - 41. June - 36
July - 39. Aug - 27. Sept - 42
Oct- 12 and counting. = 286

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#4 Post by tonethestone » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:29 pm

Agree with poster above, just found it boring. Too many Marvel films now.
2/5
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

akh43
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre, Lowry, Didsbury, Showcase, Printworks, Stockport

#5 Post by akh43 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:33 pm

I really enjoyed this film the action, effects, costumes and acting were great and met my expectations. I agree his sister stole the show, thanks for pointing out where I have seen her before. I didn't realise until I checked IMDB later that the actors who played the younger and older T'Chaka were actually father and son in real life. There were 2 trailers in the credits, one early on and the other right at the end, nothing too exciting though. I saw in 4DX which was an experience in itself with not only 3D but extra sound/movement/smell effects. Looking forward to seeing Black Panther again in Avengers Infinity in April 9/10 from me.
Member 53 of the "100 free films in 2024" - 12 seen - 88 to go - 2 booked :cross:
Hopefully this year we will get more free Manchester screenings :cross: as they are rare as hen's teeth nowadays :tears:
Hoping to beat my 2023 total of 31 :cross:

Want to see in 2024:
Planet of the Apes, Quiet Place 3, Despicable me 4, Deadpool 3

2020, 21, 22, 23 & 24 seen list viewtopic.php?f=4&t=36971#p406224[/color]

Cinemas in order of preference: Lowry, Trafford Centre, Great Northern (AMC), Printworks, Didsbury

2011- 69 films seen
2012- nearly made it my total was 90 + 3 theatre, 1 concert
2013 - 107 + 4 concerts 2
2014 - 95 - almost there
2015 - 97 - almost there again
2016 - 95
2017 - 87
2018 - 66
2019 - 77
2020 - 17
2021 - 30
2022 - 70
2023 - 31
2024 - 12

fanADE
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Duke at Komedia, Brighton
I haven't got tickets for: Edie 14/5/18 Brighton

#6 Post by fanADE » Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:52 pm

Apparently Wesley Snipes was planning as far back as 1992 to do a BLACK PANTHER MOVIE! The mind boggles at the thought!.
This film was an origin story.. slow burning but building up in to a majestic and engaging film. So much rested on it .. a burden of blackness ( unnecessarily as there are black film industries in the world..... and there have been all black films via hollywood before) I thoroughly loved it... i was glad that the wider 'Avengers' universe was kept to a minimum.. 8/10
:D :P :p [img]%20%20[/img]

elixir01
Air Force One
Air Force One

#7 Post by elixir01 » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:57 pm

I'm more of an indie film fan, but thought I'd give this film a go. Got really bored and actually left the film with about 40 minutes to go as I lost the will to live (this is extremely rare for me). I could predict what would unfold next and realised I didn't care. 2/10

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

#8 Post by alythonian » Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:42 pm

I'm glad it wasn't just me. I was bored rigid. I really dudnt care what happened to whom of to where by the end, I just wanted it to end.
Rubbish that it dudnt entertain me. Marvel has gone pants!
Alythonian

Diamondrfc
Air Force One
Air Force One

#9 Post by Diamondrfc » Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:24 pm

Was okay, probably wouldn't went to see this if didn't get the aunty discount at cineworld. Some of the action I enjoyed but there was other parts I was thinking what the heck was that or why? Nearer end of film found myself looking at time hoping was near the end.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#10 Post by raj101 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:22 pm

the first hours a bit of drag with the very forced challenge plot, but the rewards come later if you stick around. The whole royalty plotline detracts more than it adds, IMHO.

The real issue with the film is the plot.... after spending the entire movie trying to stop "baddie/anti-hero" from doing a particular something,what does BP do at the end? ridiculous! I'd suggest this is one after credits scene you skip, as it makes the whole plot academic.

The real star of the movie is Wakanda, pity theres not nearly enough of it on screen. As a kid, my first introduction to Africa as a kid was in comics where it was painted in vivid purples and yellow hues and wrapped in mythology, in a "2000AD" story that I read. This is just like that - gorgeous..shame the real africa is a lot more mundane just like the rest of the planet. But this movie paints that kind of myth up on the screen for the first time. Throw in the sci-fi elements of Wakanda, and it looked utterly amazing, wouldnt be out of place in Guardians of the Galaxy or Thor.

Just could have gone a bit further, some missed opportunities. Seeing Martin Freeman having to to grapple with what to call "gorilla King" would have been amusing.

3.5 stars.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?