First Man

Discuss movies (including free films)
tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

First Man

#1 Post by tonethestone » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Seeing this next Thurs, can’t wait, the director has a great track record, absolutely love Whiplash & LaLa Land.

Trailer looks great.

Reviews been brilliant, so the majority on here won’t like it :D
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

Olliesheen
Air Force One
Air Force One
Old post count: 0

Re: First Man

#2 Post by Olliesheen » Fri Oct 05, 2018 11:14 am

Went to see this last night, I disagree with all of the hype for it, as did some other members of the audience, one set of people walked out after an hour, another set walked after an hour and a half. I thought I’ve invested this length of time now so I was committed to staying until the bitter end. It is up there with one of the worst films I’ve seen, the movie lasted about 2 hours and 20 minutes, it could have easily had an hour knocked off. Most disappointing film for me but I’m sure some will enjoy, each to their own but I couldn’t recommend this one.

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#3 Post by tonethestone » Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:06 pm

I think this film will divide audiences like the directors previous two films, I think all 3 of his films are 5/5 (I don’t work for Empire btw).

It’s not a film for “Fast and Furious generation who needs fast cars and explosions to make an entertaining film” (Total Films words not mine).

Neil Armstrong was a very private man, the way the film showed his sacrifices and reasons behind his venture is so well done. The showed parts of his personality, the parts about his daughter v sad, the scene with his sons before going is v well done. Foy excellent.

The practice runs & finale are mind blowing, incredibly well shot.

I’m with the majority, hugely impressive & awards beckon.
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8

Tenet
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

RevKeith39
The Third Man
The Third Man

#4 Post by RevKeith39 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:55 am

How do you film a story that everyone knows, thus negating dramatic tension, about a somewhat repressed individual, prickly and taciturn, thus negating audience sympathy, and retain viewers attention and/or interest? Answer...effects. This film is a master class in soundscaping. Oscars beckon for sound technician and editor. Sadly, there should be no oscars for anyone else. Gosling plays wooden well but there is a limit. Foys role is so underwritten that she has little to work with, but does that well. Everyone else is a cipher, people who happen to work at NASA not real characters, save Buzz Aldrin who with a handful of lines conveys personality. Many people have praised the cinematography but I found the handheld jerkiness oppressive and ultimately irritating. As strange as it sounds I could have done without the moon landing at all: it had no tension or purpose- the core of the film is build up. All in all, not as great a film as many would have you believe.
Member No. 31 of 100 free films club 2015. 27 seen 73 to go.

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#5 Post by raj101 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:34 am

Did not like it really. I spent as long in this as I would on the Moon for real.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#6 Post by tonethestone » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:48 am

looks like my prediction in first post about it getting great reviews so people on here wont like it is accurate o/

this is why i like this forum, its like its own little world :D

Going to see this again next week, such a great film.
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8

Tenet
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#7 Post by D-Fens » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:20 pm

People here aren't being critical because some films are universally praised, when you have no personal investment in something it's easier to offer a grounded opinion. Whiplash and La La Land have mass appeal whereas this is clearly a more earnest, ambitious, technical movie. The press have an interest in continually supporting Chazelle because his track record makes for a better article and unless something really goes wrong nobody is going to make the leap and go against the grain.

I thought the time flew and I grew to really like the story. I realise it was authentically staged but there's only so many tiny, spinning cockpits you can sit in before you also want to eject, it must be an ordeal in IMAX? Armstrong had the training to know what the dials or view from a skewed window meant but the audience was mostly kept in the dark so I don't begrudge that some will miss the mark and not want to step in his shoes.

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

#8 Post by RandomHajile » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:17 pm

it's a bit different but really good end scenes!!, prob best movie ive seen this year.

even has a great shot of neil/gosling and his omega watch :P

9/10

imax scenes are only for the lunar bits, so 20min?

imax laser has true full height scenes 1.44ratio

digital imax has the scenes in 1.90ratio

fanADE
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Duke at Komedia, Brighton
I haven't got tickets for: Edie 14/5/18 Brighton

#9 Post by fanADE » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:03 pm

Saw this on Monday.. what a phenom film... great atmospheric representation of what it was to fly and inhabit a shuttle/space suit. A big focus on what went before.. what you did not hear about.. some of my mates who suffered from migraine and claustrophobia had to leave the room.. quality acting and a good look at what else was happening on the same space,.. 8/10
:D :P :p [img]%20%20[/img]

LiteupLee
The Fifth Element
The Fifth Element
Preferred Cinemas: Liverpool,Cheshire Oaks, Manchester
I have tickets for: The radiator

#10 Post by LiteupLee » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:38 pm

Very long winded. Not sure Neil Armstrong is a good candidate for such a long movie as I found him completely devoid of a personality. Think a film about the second man might have been better as he seemed to be a bit controversial, with plenty to say. Felt no connection whatsoever to The First Man, everything interesting happened around him to others. 7/10
Nobody's perfect!!!
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2017 club.
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2016 club. 50 seen
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2015 club. 35 seen, 65 to go.
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2014 club. 72 seen.
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2013 club. 70 seen.
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2012 club. 69 seen.
Member No. 47 of the 100 free films in 2011 club. 60 seen.
free films in 2010 30 seen.