Discuss movies (including free films)
raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

Wreck It Ralph 2

#1 Post by raj101 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:44 pm

All a bit silly really, its starts earnestly enough but quickly becomes an advert for Disney, Ebay, plus Google and other search engines. Kinda shameless selling this to little kids. What were they thinking? Real shame because the animation quality is fine.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

helenecolin
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: BFI IMAX, Odeon Leicester Square, Odeon Swiss Cottage

Re: Wreck It Ralph 2

#2 Post by helenecolin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:17 pm

Went to see it at the BFI preview on November 27th.

I quite liked it, I found it to be the Disney movie I expected to see, and I appreciated the effort to depict how ugly the Internet can be when people use the safety of being behind their screens to be mean and aggressive to others. Was all that branding necessary? Maybe not. Does it make the movie realistic? I do think so because kids are far from stupid, most of them use smartphones and tablets better than adults so I would be surprised if they don’t know about Google and the others ;).

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2

#3 Post by raj101 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 8:23 pm

helenecolin wrote:Went to see it at the BFI preview on November 27th.

I quite liked it, I found it to be the Disney movie I expected to see, and I appreciated the effort to depict how ugly the Internet can be when people use the safety of being behind their screens to be mean and aggressive to others. Was all that branding necessary? Maybe not. Does it make the movie realistic? I do think so because kids are far from stupid, most of them use smartphones and tablets better than adults so I would be surprised if they don’t know about Google and the others ;).
Thank you. Companies p*ying to get advertising in a movie has always been viewed as morally dubious, and this is doubly so in the context of this company's nefarious operations and that the film is seen by small highly impressionable children who know nothing of, for instance, tax evasion. Paypal is another evil little zit of a company that benefits.

But I would agree that there are some bright spots in the movie that touch on the dangers of the internet, and that was most welcome. Its good that you brought them up, they are a saving grace.

helenecolin
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#4 Post by helenecolin » Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:08 pm

I do believe Disney used its powers and position in today’s society to get a good deal with those brands to have them featured without any name changes necessary (who would be dumb enough to say no to such a worldwide product placement?).

Perhaps the plot should have focused more on the dangers of the Internet, but Disney is Disney, they will never completely change who they are, even though they are slowly trying to improve their old image...

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2

#5 Post by raj101 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:43 pm

helenecolin wrote:I do believe Disney used its powers and position in today’s society to get a good deal with those brands to have them featured without any name changes necessary (who would be dumb enough to say no to such a worldwide product placement?). .
If its about belief rather than fact then you might be missing a trick - the product placement is likely what gave the movie its green light. Its not unlikely that the whole sequel was put in motion by its main advertisers on condition they could use it as a giant advert to offset their recent bad publicity.

Disney could easily have funded a sequel out of their own coffers with or without highlighting a few firms, much like Spielberg was able to fill Ready Player One with other franchises out of his own choice, and much like Disney themselves proved with Wreck It Ralph 1- so it is 100% possible. Disney instead deliberately chose not to, so you are spot on to question their ethics.

But I do think you were valid to point out the film besides that wasnt so bad - the fact that I ad seen better movies after it perhaps kinda sunk its score for me. Its watchable for sure, but never close to the first movie. And true, no worries in the end, it just a movie, I get you. Thank you for your input. Hope part 3 yields a return to form.

helenecolin
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#6 Post by helenecolin » Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:22 am

You’re entirely right, we can only hope for a better part 3 :D

DarenRevan
Air Force One
Air Force One

#7 Post by DarenRevan » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:10 am

I loved the first Wreck it Ralph.

Is this worth seeing or will it ruin my love for the first one?

thrjfr
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#8 Post by thrjfr » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:04 am

I loved it as much as the first Wreck It Ralph, it has a very good story about friendship and it's funny. All the branding in the film didn't bother me in the slightest.

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

#9 Post by RandomHajile » Fri Dec 28, 2018 11:12 am

saw this in summer at a test screening and again a couple weeks ago in dolby atmos
noticed a few changes but glad its still a movie about friendship, 7.5/10 only for that great end credit scene :)