Discuss movies (including free films)
ladams888
The Third Man
The Third Man
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Wimbledon; Kingston; Clapham; Wandsworth; West End

Colette

#1 Post by ladams888 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Saw this in Wimbledon Odeon yesterday. I’m not Keira Knightley’s biggest fan, finding her acting a bit insipid, so I wasn’t holding out much hope. I found, however that she was perfectly cast and was very believable as the young pigtailed country girl, Gabrielle. We watched how Gabrielle got married to a much older man, and how subsequently she discovered her own sexuality and eventually became Colette. We witnessed the symbiotic relationship grow – Willy, her husband (played by the excellent Dominic West) needed her to write his books and she needed him to publicise her. It was a very Bohemian marriage – where Colette’s lovers and Willy’s all appeared to live harmoniously together. I was very pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed watching a very liberated Colette develop into the famous author. Gorgeous costumes, wonderful sets and locations. Would recommend. 8/10

alythonian
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 19
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh; Livingston; Dunfermline

Re: Colette

#2 Post by alythonian » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:27 pm

Very busy Edinburgh tonight.
I’d nit read anything about this so it was an interesting story.
It was a bit slow and I did think Keira K was not necessary a fit throughout. I felt she was going through the motions a lot of the film, rather than engulfing herself in the role, so quite a lot if Keira in a frock rather than Colette to me. 6/10
Alythonian

biggins
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 66
Preferred Cinemas: Any in Edinburgh

#3 Post by biggins » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:44 am

Yes it was busy in Edinburgh but possibly because it was so long since there had been a free film that was not just for sky customers or Times subscribers.

I enjoyed the film. The story told so many times of the "Little Wife" who must do as her husband commands although she had a far better brain and he made use of that for his own pleasures and the fame it brought.

It was good to see the real people at the end and what became of them. 7/10
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2020" club 1 seen 99 to go.
Member No. 23 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 10 seen .
Member no. 23 of the "100 free film Club" 57 seen 2010.

noelcas
Air Force One
Air Force One

#4 Post by noelcas » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:35 am

I went with low expectations, not being a fan of Keira Knightley and the subject matter appearing to be a little dry, but what a knockout. An interesting story, and great dialogue and acting. 8/10

Deanbutlin
Air Force One
Air Force One
Preferred Cinemas: Sheffield
I have tickets for: Finding Your Feet & I Tonya

#5 Post by Deanbutlin » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Saw this on Tue night. Had only a rough idea of what it was about but found it wasn't quite what I was expecting. Found it a slow and a bit bitty. It would show about 10-15 minutes and then would jump ahead a couple of years and that went on throughout the film. Also found it was a bit bawdy with the two main characters sleeping around.
Ok it showed Colette's transformation from a naïve country girl through been a subservient wife to a self assured independent woman but I couldn't say I really enjoyed it.

Films seen this year :-
The upsider & Colette

Got tickets for :-
Instant family & Second act.

LittleBill
Air Force One
Air Force One

Colette

#6 Post by LittleBill » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:49 pm

I saw Colette recently and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed it. I thought the quality of the acting was excellent, the script was very appropriate & entertaining, and the cinematography was a delight.
The audience was virtually all in the 45 to 65 age range and when “sex scenes and nudity “ came up on the certification screen, you could feel the ripple go up the cinema as the audience read it. I didn’t however consider there was much of either and a 15 certificate was a bit harsh.

Scorpio
Air Force One
Air Force One

#7 Post by Scorpio » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:08 am

Both Keira Knightley, as Colette, and Dominic West, as her controlling husband, are very good in their roles. Despite the real Colette appearing to have led a very colourful life (shown in the pre-end credits scenes), this film should have held my attention throughout but I found that it dragged in places. Not sure whether this was due to the script or the director. 6/10.

I preferred the drama in 'The Wife' starring Glenn Close and Jonathan Pryce.

surrenden
Air Force One
Air Force One

#8 Post by surrenden » Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:38 pm

to agree with other posts, I was pleasantly surprised. You knew roughly what was going to happen, given who it was obviously about, but it developed well. Kiera Knightley managed the development of her character well - Domnic West was a bit two dimensional.

helenecolin
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: BFI IMAX, Odeon Leicester Square, Odeon Swiss Cottage

#9 Post by helenecolin » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:23 am

Saw it during the BFI LFF last October and I have to agree with previous comments, it was a really well made movie and Keira Knightley was quite impressive in the role.

nosila50
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: Edinburgh, Livingston, Dunfermline

#10 Post by nosila50 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:04 am

Really enjoyed Collette and thought that Kiera Knightley was excellent throughout. Very well made and worth a watch . 7/10
Member No. 50 of the "100 free films in 2019" club 7 seen!
Member No. 50, in 2018" club. 29 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2017” club. 31 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2016" club. 36 seen.
Member No. 50, in 2015" club. 22 seen.