Star Wars : Rise of Skywalker

Discuss movies (including free films)
tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

Star Wars : Rise of Skywalker

#1 Post by tonethestone » Wed Dec 18, 2019 5:49 pm

Watched this earlier today at a media screening : )

It’s absolutely manic, non-stop, tons going on, an absolute eternity of fan service stuff, cameos everywhere. Some of the negative reviews have slated it because it’s a film purely for SW fans, is that really a negative?!

Won’t give anything away but it’s definitely a film for big fans, great ending, fantastic!!! 5/5
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

Re: Star Wars : Rise of Skywalker

#2 Post by raj101 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:59 am

yuh its uh, very different from the lugubrious deliberately paced Last Jedi, it flies along.

Not a well made film as a whole but a lot of great scenes and as said by Ton its for the fans, crammed with canon and even non canon references from games etc too.

I saw the whole trilogy last night. My brain has melted, official.And for free heehee.
Last edited by raj101 on Thu Dec 19, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

thrjfr
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice

#3 Post by thrjfr » Thu Dec 19, 2019 1:35 pm

I liked it, but TLJ is better. 3/5
Last edited by thrjfr on Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Batman66
Air Force One
Air Force One

#4 Post by Batman66 » Fri Dec 20, 2019 12:26 pm

I enjoyed it but will enjoy it more on 2nd viewing, as 1st time I was praying the title didn't come true (you'll know what I mean if you've seen it) 4.5/5

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

#5 Post by tonethestone » Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:57 am

Enjoyed it even more on 2nd viewing. It’s such a mad paced film it’s hard to catch everything, will take multiple viewings to really take everything in which is a good thing.

Absolutely loved the final scene, perfect sign off.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

Moviemad31
You Only Live Twice
You Only Live Twice
Preferred Cinemas: Showcase cine de lux Bristol, Odeon Bristol, Bristol Watershed, Showcase Avonmeads, Everyman Bristol and Vue at Cribbs Causeway.

#6 Post by Moviemad31 » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:23 am

Really enjoyed this film it was a fitting end to the saga 8/10.

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#7 Post by D-Fens » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:48 pm

It's amazing they got this completed and released so quickly, Cats could learn a thing or mew.

A group living hand-to-mouth following the philosophy of an old grey dude fight a group seemingly more organised and better off. Their resources grow on trees and they're led by a younger, floppy haired dorky guy but it's probably somebody else that's really pulling the strings.

Nobody knows what they're fighting for or what the outcome could possibly be but they all just go along with it anyway because it's the exact sight and sounds you'd expect to see. As far as I could tell it's something about one side being big anti-sithists and the other being happy to erase whole races just to hold power. Some stay out of it all by living in caves and some are actual bears.

Unelected leaders are interchangeable and they essentially just deliver motivational sound bites to set underlings on menial tasks and keep everybody occupied until the end and get something or other done. There's not much joy to be had here, anything like that is given minimal screen time and any humour is heavily orchestrated. There are huge casualties on both sides but it doesn't matter because none of those people had names and nothing changes anyway. Nigel Farage makes an appearance here too.

Star Wars: Rise of Brexit - 2 *

phoebevtay
Air Force One
Air Force One

#8 Post by phoebevtay » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:20 pm

Been thinking about it, and really want to go again. But I think it's lost some of the magic..

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#9 Post by raj101 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:33 pm

the end is weak, I am not sure why they glossed over it, the end of movies needs attention as a pick me up, even bad movies usually try to pull that off. JJ Abrams is perhaps not the man to end franchises, though he can start or reboot brilliantly.
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

D-Fens
Prediction Master
Prediction Master

#10 Post by D-Fens » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:18 pm

raj101 wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:33 pm
the end of movies needs attention as a pick me up, even bad movies usually try to pull that off
There's a rumour that the end of the movie was supposed to be
Spoiler
Show
all of the old Jedi coming back to support Rey. So Ewan McGregor, Samuel L. Jackson, Neil Kinnock, Hayden Christensen! and Darth Blair. That certainly makes sense in the context of the movie, it's foreshadowed in the finale and seeded throughout the franchise but it was discarded because China is a big market and censors or has issues with ghosts. Maybe there's a half truth there and it was actually something like Liam Neeson getting cancelled while they were in planning or scheduling and they got cold feet but it could have been that that attention grabbing, fitting end you were looking for.