Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

Chat about anything
ejwrank
Se7en
Se7en
Old post count: 0

Re: Free Theatre/Concert Tickets Discussion Thread

#11 Post by ejwrank » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:45 am

The seat locations you get given at free theatre visits vary. Last week at The Old Vic for The Tempest we got excellent stalls seats and others were seated in the Dress Circle -- all these seats were probably the top price seats you could get and the view was excellent. We also got superb seats at Enron at The Noel Coward Theatre on St Martin's Lane a little while back--front row of the Dress Circle. Seats at The Royal Haymarket where we saw Waiting for Godot were very close to the front and all the seats there are tight which you don't mind nearly as much if the seats are free. And again at the Royal Haymarket we saw Sweet Charity from the top of the theatre (Upper Circle and not quite the furthest back but high up). So it depends on the theatre (Old Vic is the best) but it is very good of them to offer free tickets so no complaints from us on where they seat us.

We've been to concerts at Kings Place and they always give you an excellent seat (but all seats in the concert hall are good) and husband went to Cadogan Hall recently and had a good seat there.

As all my film comments have been so negative recently it is good to show that I can write something nice too!

Is this any help a_person?
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2019" club -- 25 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2018" club -- 23 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2017" club -- 41 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2016" club -- 50 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2015" club -- 77 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2014" club -- 66 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2013" club-- 91 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2012" club--113 seen.
Member No. 11 of the "100 free films in 2011" club--116 seen.

a_person
8 1/2
8 1/2
Old post count: 90
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quays,Cineworld Greenwich, Vue Stratford Westfield then Central London.

#12 Post by a_person » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:52 am

thanks ejwrank, thats really informative and awesome!

Oh how I missed so many of these shows. I regret not going! Hopefully :cross: some of them will meet my timetable!
Member No. 2 of the "100 free films in 2015" club. 3 seen, 97 to go!
Realistic target: 5

Preferred cinema list:
1) Cineworld: West India Quays or Greenwich, 02, Vue Westfield - Stratford City or Picturehouse Stratford
2) Picturehouse Greenwich
3) Any central London cinema including Islington (excluding Shepherd's Bush, and Whiteleys unless it's some super duper cool film)
4) Odeon Greenwich or Odeon Surrey Quays

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#13 Post by Beate » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:48 pm

It helps if you are nice to the person giving out tickets and know what you want, then you can say "Have you got some great seats in the Dress Circle left please?" and you will ususally get them.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#14 Post by superhero » Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:05 pm

Aww...Haven't seen the Tempest yet..shame tickets are just for tonight...but thanks for posting milkchocmonkey!

TheDude
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#15 Post by TheDude » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:47 am

a_person wrote:I always wanted to know what sort of seats you get at the theatre/concerts and whether you get a good view or not. I've never bothered grabbing these tickets when they are available as either they are too short notice for me to find a plus one or I have something planned.
I've had some great seats in the past so definitely worth going..

5rannoch
Phase IV
Phase IV

#16 Post by 5rannoch » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:41 pm

It is a bit too late for me to even think about getting to The Old Vic even if tickets are still available. I would however like to hear if anyone did make and also what you thought.

I overheard some very negative comments being made about The Tempest last week. I did not think it was anywhere near as bad. I do not think that it helped that the person was sat behind a pillar in the circle and had real difficulties in seeing what was happening. She said that the acoustics were not very good - which I do have to agree with - so if she could neither see or hear, I guess that she did have a lot to complain about!!
Member No. 5 of the "100 free films in 2011" club - 52 seen - reached my 50 target!!!

Member No. 5 of the "100 free films in 2012" club - 17 seen - realistically aiming for 55

Member No 5 of the "100 free films in 2013" club - 9 seen - aiming for 35

Member No 5 of the "100 free films in 2014" club - 6 seen - aiming for 25

Member No 5 of the "100 free films in 2015" club - 8 seen - aiming for 25

superhero
9 1/2 Weeks
9 1/2 Weeks
Preferred Cinemas: Vue West End, Odeon Covent Garden, Odeon Panton Street, any other ones in Central London

#17 Post by superhero » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:23 pm

They're offering them quite late today, but I guess free tickets are "last in the food chain" I suppose....

Beate
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#18 Post by Beate » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:43 pm

There are some lovely people on this forum, and it means 5rannoch, bevvy, prettyxcool, myself and OH all managed to attend the Rod Stewart concert tonight, and when prettyxcool's friend couldn't make it last minute, the OH gave the last ticket to a stranger in a Rod Stewart football shirt. He was quite determined that we mustn't waste it. And sure enough there were still people wandering about hoping for tickets. I thought of raj101, but he wanted two and we only had one and it was all a bit last-minute...

I was glad that I had tickets in my name as they asked for ID, but funnily enough I was then able to get all the other tickets on behalf of 5rannoch on the strength of that ID, even though they were in different names. We saw Sunny Saver in the SFF queue, and later met tufty by chance as well! The O2 building was packed, huge queues outside every restaurant so we just got ourselves a sandwich at the newsagent and waited for 5rannoch to arrive. We made our way in at around 7.30pm, the concert started bang on time at 8pm, with a 10 minute interval at 9pm, followed by another hour of Rod! He sang all the hits, it was fantastic. The stage show was fab too, I took loads of pictures. We were quite high up but sitting to one side so had a good view of the stage. At one point Rod threw and kicked footballs into the audience, for those we were a bit too high up though! Everyone had a great time, rocking along, the OH loved it. The concert was over by 10.10pm, after two extra songs. The first one was Sailing which is my favourite, and I was on my feet like almost everyone else! The show ended with Maggie May. Well done, Rod, the old crooner still has it! What a pity this was the last concert in London - I could have done this all over again!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Sunny Saver
Se7en
Se7en
Preferred Cinemas: Islington Vue, Holloway, Central London

#19 Post by Sunny Saver » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:22 am

Beate wrote:We saw Sunny Saver in the SFF queue... We were quite high up but sitting to one side so had a good view of the stage. At one point Rod threw and kicked footballs into the audience, for those we were a bit too high up though!
I 'tried' to look out for you when seated, but we were so high up, I felt a bit queasy (mega scared of heights), so I sat back really tightly in my seat.

The queues were crazy! You should have seen the one for the loo!!

Rod kicked the ball really far, but not far enough for us lot though.

It was brilliant, much better than I expected. Hubbie really enjoyed it too and originally he didn't want to come... and they sang Sailing, so he was happy o/.

But I was sooo tired after the evening.... maybe it's old age, the A Team was long and quite late and then a late night with Rod couldn't wait for my :snooze:.

Lovely to see you guys again though.

prettyxcool
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Prefer all Central London, then Islington, Notting Hill, Whiteleys, Shepherd's Bush, Westfield, Holloway, Swiss Cottage, Clapham, WIQ, Greenwich 02, Surrey Quays, Fulham.

#20 Post by prettyxcool » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:50 am

Beate wrote:There are some lovely people on this forum
Amen to that!
Beate wrote:Well done, Rod, the old crooner still has it! What a pity this was the last concert in London - I could have done this all over again!
Ditto! You have to hand it to him – still going strong at 65!! Thoroughly enjoyable evening bopping and singing along to some of his greatest hits, “Do you think I’m Sexy”, “Maggie May”, “It takes two”, “Baby Jane” etc etc. FAB!
Sunny Saver wrote:But I was sooo tired after the evening.... maybe it's old age.
hahaha - whats that- "old age"? - tell that to Rod! You are just a spring chicken, sunny sunshiny saver! o/
Member No. 17 of the "100 free films in 2019" club. 50 seen so far
My Movie Scores click here

2018 - 100 seen (9 premieres/Press) Also 2 Opera, 1 Netfix, 15 theatres, 2 concerts, 1 ballet)
2017 - 106 seen
2016 - 116 seen
2015 - 120 seen (16 premieres, 2 Gala Screenings). Also 3 theatres/shows, 2 concerts
2014 - 132 seen (26 premieres and 7 Gala Screenings). Also 18 misc. free events/concerts
2013 - 115 Seen (12 premieres). Also 6 theatres/shows, 5 concerts
2012 - 118 seen (23 premieres). Also 12 theatres/shows.
2011 - 133 seen
2010 - 105 seen