Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore

Discuss movies (including free films)
tomorrow72
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0

Re: Cats & Dogs - The Revenge of Kitty Galore in 3D

#21 Post by tomorrow72 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:17 am

There are four tickets available at Uxbridge for this morning's screening - be quick

splodgy

Re: Cats & Dogs: The Revenge of Kitty Galore

#22 Post by splodgy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:35 pm

Watched this film this morning in Cardiff. My first 3D film. The short film at the start was really good in 3D, there wasn't quite so much 3D in the Cats and Dogs film itself, but it was still pretty impressive. I did enjoy the film and my husband did too. A predictable ending but lots of cute animals to watch.

Doris
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#23 Post by Doris » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:47 pm

We just came back from watching the film in Uxbridge, we all throughly enjoyed it. I thought 'Hannibal' cat was great, children did not understand that part, as they have not seen Silence of the Lambs.
The cinema was about 90% full and I thought the younger children there were really well behaved.

splodgy

#24 Post by splodgy » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:53 pm

I thought the Hannibal cat was funny too. Wonder if they'll do another prequel using him as the main baddie!

Doris
The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

#25 Post by Doris » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:59 pm

I think they may well do Splodgy and I think it would be extremely funny ! Maybe it would need to be aimed at 'the older child' as it could be quite vicious !!!!!

kevinknapman
Kids' Choice Awards 2016 Prediction Master

#26 Post by kevinknapman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:46 pm

When is a free screening not a free screening? When you're told by cinema staff at the Odeon Kingston that you have to b*y the 3D glasses for £1. Bleeding cheek! I could have been a bit more argumentative but left it at a slightly incredulous 'But it's a FREE screening!'. Did this happen at all the other screenings?

Any way as for the film it was fairly enjoyable. Not as bad as I expected it to be but not great either. A fair few decent gags and an awful lot of poor ones. A lot of the good stuff was completely lost on the kids, the Bond movie in-jokes including a decent credit sequence with Shirley Bassey doing a cover of Pink's 'Get this Party Started' and Roger Moore voicing a cat called Tab Lazenby. And as mentioned already a 'Silence of the Lambs' gag and a scene where a bunch of cats are 'high' on cat-nip. Of course there was plenty of physical humour to keep the kids happy though.

Another plus was some of it's voice cast. Though James Marsden and Christina Applegate where suitably bland and anonymous as the main dog and cat characters, there was some fantastic stuff from Bette Midler as the villain Kitty Galore, Nick Nolte as the gruff Butch, the already mentioned Roger Moore and Sean Hayes reprising his wonderfully over the top role from the first movie as Mr Tinkles. Best of all for me was Wallace Shawn as one of Kitty Galore's sidekicks. It always tickles me when the heavyweight intellectual playwright makes an appearance in movies like this, though the slightly creepy cat he voices is unlikely to have the lasting impact of his Rex from the Toy Story movies.

The human cast was less memorable. Chris O'Donnell has the look of a man wondering what the hell he's doing in a role like this. After a laughable introductory scene where he's presented as a tough guy (seriously, the guy looks like he'd cry if he got a paper cut), he spends the rest of the movie wandering around looking for his lost dog (or possibly his career). Jack McBrayer is a little better as Chuck the Magnificent, Kitty Galore's owner, but isn't given a great deal to work with so just mugs a lot.

The special effects are a pretty mixed bag too. Some really good, some incredibly shoddy. The 3D wasn't exactly up to much either, only occasionally effective.

Overall this was a watchable enough film. Great for undemanding kids, with enough in-jokes to keep adults going.

The Looney Tunes short beforehand was good fun too, even if it did make me a bit nostalgic for the simpler 2D pleasures of Chuck Jones.
Last edited by kevinknapman on Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

Beate
The Modfather (& Three-Time Prediction Master!)
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#27 Post by Beate » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:52 pm

That is bloody cheeky and shouldn't happen at a free screening. I have been to plenty free 3D screenings and they always throw the glasses in as well! If I was you I would complain, especially as you probably, like the rest of us, have some 3D glasses at home from former screenings which you could have brought along if you'd known!
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

kevinknapman

#28 Post by kevinknapman » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:57 pm

Beate wrote:That is bloody cheeky and shouldn't happen at a free screening. I have been to plenty free 3D screenings and they always throw the glasses in as well! If I was you I would complain, especially as you probably, like the rest of us, have some 3D glasses at home from former screenings which you could have brought along if you'd known!
I do actually. But I'll know better in the future. As for the complaining, I'll use the Sky feedback form for that.
Member No.41 of the "100 free films in 2018" club! 22 seen 78 to go
Recent free films:A Star is Born, Smallfoot, Overlord, The Girl in the Spider's Web, Home Alone

Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2017" club! 29 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2016" club! 44 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2015" club! 61 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2014" club! 40 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2013" club! 64 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2012" club! 88 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2011" club! 108 seen
Member No. 41 of the "100 free films in 2010" club! 84 films seen

Beate
Old post count: 6588
Preferred Cinemas: West India Quay, Greenwich, Surrey Quays + Central London (Vue Islington, Apollo, Odeon Covent Garden, Cine Haymarket, Leicester Sq/West End)

#29 Post by Beate » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Which cinema was it? I would complain to them as well. I am a great believer in complaints.
:popcorn: Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2020" club. 7 seen :popcorn:
o/ Member No. 1 of the "100 free films in 2009 - 2019" clubs. 826 seen o/
Image Member No. 1 of the "104 free previews in 2008" club. 92 seen

Diane65
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: Trafford Centre. The Printworks, Manchester. The Lowry, Salford Quays. Parrswood, Didsbury.Cineworld, Stockport.
I have tickets for: Lovely Bones and Kick Ass

#30 Post by Diane65 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:04 pm

Beate wrote:That is bloody cheeky and shouldn't happen at a free screening. I have been to plenty free 3D screenings and they always throw the glasses in as well! If I was you I would complain, especially as you probably, like the rest of us, have some 3D glasses at home from former screenings which you could have brought along if you'd known!

They did try to charge at the Trafford Centre for the glasses but a lady complained then the manager sorted it out and the attendant did go in and find the people who had pa*d to give them a refund.

Enjoyed the film especially the Hannibal character 6/10