The Mummy

Discuss movies (including free films)
missgotty
Phase IV
Phase IV
Old post count: 0
Preferred Cinemas: Islington, Holloway, Greenwich O2, Leicester Square, Covent Garden, Piccadilly Circus, Tottenham Court Road, Marbel Arch, Hackney PH, Brixton PH, Enfield

The Mummy

#1 Post by missgotty » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:48 pm

The trailer looks great but the film isn't good. It pretty much is just a Hollywood production out to make money from unsuspecting cinema goers and is quite forgettable. Russell Crowe literally plays a corny Jekyll and Hyde character which really didn't bring anything to the film. Sofia Boutella is good but her dialogue is limited and character overburdened by Tom Cruise, not surprisingly. They also copied a major theme from An American Werewolf In London, which didn't really go down very well. I really didn't like the ending, Cruise becomes a bigger character than the film should allow and it just seemed overly pretentious and egocentric, as if Cruise wrote the script himself. The ending ensures there will be another film but I doubt I would want to watch it. If you're a big Tom Cruise fan you might enjoy this, but overall I thought it was pretty lame. I saw it on IMAX but if you're considering watching it, I would probably say you wouldn't lose anything by watching it on 2D or even waiting until it's aired on TV/DVD.

A not very impressive 3/10

tonethestone
Phase IV
Phase IV

Re: The Mummy

#2 Post by tonethestone » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:57 pm

Enjoyed this, first half is great especially. Cruise, if you're a fan, you'll love it. Just a popcorn film but way better than the popcorn drivel films Michael Bay and others put out.

3/5.
Upcoming films want to see;
Top Gun Maverick
MI 7 & 8
The Many Saints of Newark
Ghostbusters : Afterlife

Best films seen recently;
Tenet
Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
In The Heights
A Quiet Place 2

raj101
8 1/2
8 1/2
Preferred Cinemas: kingston, wimbledon, wandsworth, fulham

#3 Post by raj101 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:03 pm

started well but went increasingly meh.

Cruise tries to do buddybuddy Brendan Fraser and it doesnt work, he just comes across annoying. And that ending,...

Stuns and effects are good, but that it. Story is nonsensical.

Nevertheless I wouldnt say no to further characters in the franchise if they make it all work next time.

2 stars
fav 5 films of the year - Tenet, Bill n Ted 3, Invisible Man, JoJo Rabbit, ?

xtrip86
Air Force One
Air Force One

#4 Post by xtrip86 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:13 am

I have to agree with several people above. The movie starts pretty good but takes a major down turn. I really hated the ending, i have no idea who wrote that and thought it was a good idea! :wall:
Last five cinema trips as of 14/06/17
Alien Covenant - Odeon Leicester Square
Colossal - Odeon Holloway Road
Baywatch - Showcase Bluewater
Wonder Woman - Showcase Bluewater
The Mummy - Odeon Holloway Road

RandomHajile
The Third Man
The Third Man
Preferred Cinemas: London, Leicester

#5 Post by RandomHajile » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:57 am

saw this on friday evening in a packed screen in westfield, i can see why its a 15 certificate as its quite violent at the start. i felt that the editing pacing was a touch too fast, but i liked it, it is what it is, summer blockbuster, looks good also.

6.5/10

Wogga69

#6 Post by Wogga69 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:23 pm

Thought it was just ok have to I think the Brendan Fraser movies far more enjoyable.

S_taylor81
Air Force One
Air Force One

#7 Post by S_taylor81 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:36 pm

The first 3rd of this film was pretty good. Then it was average at best. Agree with what someone said about the ending. Surely they could have wrote a better ending than that.

Overall 5.5/10